My 18 yr old miniature dachshund probably won't get through nite

I’ve always been just like that he’s my 5th dog and I have a 5 year old English springer spaniel also but me and Ralph have been through some shit and I know that I gave him the best natural life and he is just a part of me and thanks for the continued support means a lot

8 Likes

Cherish the memories…
They are never totally gone when you think of them.

Cheers
G

7 Likes

fuck man, so sorry to hear this :frowning: My heart goes out to you! Cherish all the fun times and the cuddles <3

4 Likes

My heart is aching for you. I’ve had 4 dachshunds in my life and each one has left a mark on me.

6 Likes

Sending good vibes and juju your way buddy… Dogs ARE family in this house. I have no kids, so my boy is MY BOY, and I completely understand the bond. It never gets easier, and I’ve always hated how short my dogs lives are (Boxers - usually 10-12), but I say its because our pups give away more love in that time, than we do our entire life. The biggest thing to me is to be there till the end with them. Once my pup, always my pup, no matter what.

Smile when you think about how awesome his life was for him because of that bond, and friendship you gave him. I know I constantly point out the ASPCA commercials to my boy and tell him how spoiled he is, I am sure Ralph is no less spoiled…

7 Likes

My love to you and Ralph!

Sponge, my long haired dachsund lasted 18year3months so i know exactly how you feel :sob:

11 Likes

Sponge got this twice and needed overnight drip. Her got and somehow beat cancer at age 9.

:sob:

5 Likes

Nothing hurts more, I feel for your heart break. I am 60 and have had many babies I love to this day.
Bless your heart for caring enough to post.
May his Rainbow Bridge be a smooth ride.

6 Likes

I feel your pain. It is hard. One of the hardest things in life. Your little buddy loves you though and is very thankful for all the time he had to spend with you.
We are here for you if you need to talk. :green_heart:

5 Likes

Missing Your Presence

Who knew a soulmate

Could be wrapped in fur

You were truly a best friend to me

I will miss you in the morning

Being the first that I’d see

I will miss our long walks

And our daily talks

Although I was the one yapping away

By my side is where you’d always stay

With my hand patting your head

It felt like you could hear every word I said

I will miss everything about you

How you would jump up against me

And suddenly you were so tall

Or your excited eyes waiting to catch the ball

I will miss this and everything in between

I hope you somehow knew

You were truly my all

I liked this poem a lot last time I lost a dog :slight_smile:

10 Likes

That poem will make any animal lover cry. I had to have me best friend put down when he was 13. He was half Irish Setter, half Golden Retriever. I gave him an awesome life but it really hurt losing him. He was a super dog. Everyone remembered him.

I’d love to have another one but it’s not cheap. Doctor visits are close to human doctors. Nothing better than your best friend. RIP Rufus!

4 Likes

sorry buddy

2 Likes

Wishing you and Ralph the best and sending warm vibes. When I was 3-years old my first memory of losing a family pet was the loss of our Dachshund, Molly. The Poodle-Bichon mix we had (who was Molly’s companion) lived to 18. Glad to hear you’ve been so good to Ralph that he could live such a long life for a dog!

4 Likes

I have always liked the “weiner dogs”.
I got “attacked” by some when I was a really small child. Started growling at me, they chased me, I tripped an fell down, and the 2 of them started licking me. :rofl: :laughing:

6 Likes

If they can lick A little Honey on a spoon works miracles
For old dogs. The dog food companies put trash in the food

3 Likes

I wish I had words of comfort I could share.

My furry guy sends his love.

7 Likes

That’s sad
My white dog has cancer,just waiting for him to say enough,I won’t be getting any more dogs after he goes,
To heartbreaking see them go

6 Likes

I unfortunately have not received any sleep due to my 18year old miniature dachshund Ralph he’s been my sidekick for half my life and I DON’T KNOW how to say it but I just CANNOT EXPRESS TO HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE REACHED OUT and shown such sincere heartfelt MEANINGFUL comments and I truly APPRECIATE YOUR :heart: AND ITS A CIRCLE OF LIFE and I enjoy being on here because of thus reason…I consider Overgrow.com to be a COMMUNITY/ EXTENDED FAMILY AND even though we talk about how we are doing with growing and questions and the endless information or resources that are available to us here but I TRULY BELIEVE WE ARE NOT A “FORUM” BUT I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE THAT I DIDN’T MISS OUT SAYING THAT WE’RE NOT JUST GROWING A WEED AND I just mean that in a matter of minutes I’ve never had time to get off the post and I was ALREADY RECEIVING an outpouring of people that have shown that the trues colors of us are beautiful and loving and I apologize for the book that I just wrote 🥲 but I just don’t have words to tell ANYONE ABOUT THE FACT THAT WE ARE HUMANS AND WE HAVE REALLY GOOD N BAD PROBLEMS throughout our lives and I think it shows that we can pull together and are capable of doing anything for ourselves and what I’ve witnessed this last 36 hours proves that we’re not here for free seeds or something else like that etc and don’t hesitate to take a few seconds to send a message to someone who we know as Dr Gonzo so @LemonadeJoe please let me say THANK YOU FOR THE TIME AND EFFORT YOU AND EVERYONE ON HERE DO TO MAKE IT BE A PLACE WHERE I’M GRATEFUL TO BE A PART OF!..so RIP(3/16/2003-2/27/2022)RALPH DAKOTA WILSON

is officially heading home to hangout with the doggies in the sky to chew on rawhide bones amd bark and chase squirrels… RIP MY LOYAL, LOVINGBUT BIGGER THAN LIFE DUDE this is the family my parents two English Springer Spaniels Piper(blackandwhite) and Kali(liver and white) my sisters 14 year miniature old dachshund Chloe who is going to be crushed by losing her buddy who showed her the ropes as a puppy but he will be missed but never forgotten I smile and cry at the same time right now so I hope that I didn’t repeat myself in this post but I needed to LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW MUCH LOVE AND POSITIVE THOUGHTS YOU HAVE REACHED OUT TO GIVE ISN’T UNNOTICED! 🥲 THE DUDE ABIDES…and OG community don’t change one bit because it’s what makes us separate and unique from the "forum’s "

26 Likes

So much love your way @DrGonzo13 from me right here as your situation mirrored mine. I got Sponge when i turned 20, and he passed away when I was 38. He came with me EVERYWHERE, even work where he was dubbed the “guard dog” until his weak bladder meant he had to stay home. Then he went blind and got doggie dimentia and many nights I’d make sure he could find his bed again after walking in circles on the floor that was now solidly lined with pee pads so he could go anywhere with no fault to him

My heart to Chloe as well. Sponge was a solo doggo so it was all the people that took the emotional hit but I can’t even think what poor Chloe will deal with. At least you, your fam, Piper and Kali can be there for her as she goes through her grieving process.

I do sincerly hope you have your coping methods in place, and I mean healthy ones. I ended up focusing on my work, my garden and myself when this happened to me and I turned the heart break into drive. Doesn’t work all the time but it’s worth a shot. Part of the drive was making Sponge’s shrine for the mantle, however I’m I big suck so I needed to put it up and all together on multiple attempts because of the open and welcome sobbing expressing the loss of what was my 18 year old child.

That’s the sinker. Dachsunds are so “people” that after 18 years you will react as if you have lost your child; and that’s an 18 year emotional investment for a total dependant that was 1000% worth all of the trials and tribulations.

If took us 1 year of the house being empty before we needed to have a smalling in the the house again… and this is how we got Bubbles our :parrot: . A year after Bub’s, we felt it was time to think about another doggo and after looking around at different rescues we fell in love with Celia our Dachsund/Patterdale/Lab mix brought north out of Texas.

I still go downstairs and say high to Sponge on the mantle. sometimes have a cry with him but he’s never minded that. He was also a therapy dog.

“apologies” for ranting. Memory lane and there is strength in knowing you are NOT alone in this.
Big love and all the best as can be! :hugs: :heart:

13 Likes

@DrGonzo13 I am so sorry to hear about your dachshund, I know that is a difficult thing to deal with. I lost my dog around a year ago. I also have a special connection with Dachshund dogs - in fact one saved my life by alerting people to the fact that my bedroom was on fire after a space heater tipped over, so that breed holds a special pace in my heart.

3 Likes