My first cannabis everything

Looking really happy and healthy there. I wish my camera would get close ups like that, so much easier to see whats what in a pic on a big screen, rather than actual size.

2 Likes

This is an old phone and dropping calls. It was a cheaper phone, but the camera is pretty good. I learned how to do the photo and upload things not all that long ago. I donā€™t know anyone who knows anything about growing these plants, so at least itā€™s handy for this.
These plants are in about 20-25% rabbit manure. I added bone meal, oyster shell, epsom salt, alfalfa, beet root powder. ground cicada hulls, powdered banana peel, azomite, ground egg shell, whey from yogurt making and let it all age off for about 6 months. Now that they are starting to bloom, Iā€™m not sure if I should leave them be or add something. Iā€™m inclined to stop myself from trying to ā€˜improveā€™ anything this first go around. Maybe some alfalfa? What do you think?

4 Likes

Sounds like a heavy mix. Since they are flowering, I would not add any alfalfa, it has a lot of nitrogen. How about a nice kelp tea? :+1::seedling:

4 Likes

You will probably find they will be good for the first round, how big are your pots they look about 5 gals. If they are, you donā€™t want to veg for more than 6 weeks, or they may fall short after they stretch in flower depending on how big they get. With my no till 10 gal pots I got through 1 and a half grows before they ran out of steam. If you are changing your soil after each grow I would just add some extra P and K after the stretch in flower, I use Jobes organic 3.7.4 for a boost after the stretch, and then some bat guano 0.12.4 about week 6. The things that run out fast are calcium, magnesium, sulfur, P and K.

Careful with the alfalfa it can burn if used too much I have it as a cover crop and chop it back for mulch, in the last 3 weeks of flower, so its breaking down and getting ready for use by the time the next plant goes into the pot.

Its hard to know when to amend, as you donā€™t want deficiencies, and you donā€™t want to over load either. With no till, I just put all my trimmings on top of the soil and its recycled back into the plants, I usually donā€™t get a N deficiency, unless I have a monster plant stretching a lot. Its usually K that I get short of, and occasionally calcium and sulfur.

6 Likes

:musical_note: Kelp! Kelp! Kelp! :musical_note:

4 Likes

I keep reading kelp messes the bacteria up, when the plants are in flower, I use it abundantly in veg. So I try and get enough into the pot before flowering, but it doesnā€™t always work out, and then have to use the O.12.4 bat guano to supplement and pick up the slack.

1 Like

Havenā€™t heard this one yet. I do a neen/kelp tea once a month regardless of what stage the plant is in. :thinking:

1 Like

I do not have kelp, yet. It is on the list! Thank you.

1 Like

These are 3.5 and 5 gallons. I have a 10 in the wings. I am interested in no till. Thereā€™s also some flax and char in there, and sulfur. I think Iā€™m just going to leave it alone. I think that K shortage concerns me the most for the near future. Thank you, Shadey.

2 Likes

I see kelp everywhere. Iā€™ll get the goods!

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s a great addition, but really it sounds like your mix is good. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

Kelp is EVERYTHING! Youā€™re trippin @Shadey lol Godā€™s gift. I second kelpā€¦ even just a foliar. a popcorn sprout tea wouldnā€™t hurt. Mine liked seabird guano/kelp/molasses tea in flower as well. Oh, and yeahā€¦ no more nitrogen :wink:

Obviously youā€™ve grown other plants! Your soil sounds amazing and the plants look great. :green_heart:

3 Likes

I sure like happy plants. I miss having a garden outside. Now I live in a tiny condominium, but I have a patio and now this grow tent. My place is very dark and not plant friendly. This grow tent and cannabis have reignited something in me.
You plant popcorn and use the sprouts in a tea? I like popcorn. I can share with my plants.

3 Likes

No you rinse popcorn seeds soak them overnight dump out water put them in a mason jar until they sprout. Keep them moist. Then grind them with a little water into a paste and put about 1/2 cup in 5 gallons of water and water in.

4 Likes

Ok. I was looking into sprouting for smoothies and such. The popcorn will just be a bigger seed! I was going to use a big bucket for teas, but with my space I had better settle for a two liter bottle. I have been using meals and powdering things. Sprouting things, seeds and ferments I am absolutely interested in. I have never done any of those things but the plants I am seeing photos of convince me.

4 Likes

Please check me. I believe that 2 of these plants might be experiencing zinc deficiency.

What kind of world do we live in where you can live in a rural area and not be able to find galvanized nails at your local hardware and farm supply stores? I picked up these little round galvanized things, 3 pig ears and a foot of #8 copper just because it was there. $5. I spent over 2 hours at this store with my dog Roux, got a great deal and free popcorn, just no roofing nails or pH strips. They carry pool supplies, for pityā€™s sake.

Podunk small town Illinois. Canā€™t have everything. Shoot, Walmart here is out of test strips in every area they might carry them.

Discoloration of leaves is occurring on two of these plants, the two with the most advanced stage of bloom. The only thing that these plants are receiving at the time is water. Lights are 30 inches above the

. Please look and tell me what you think is being indicated by the leaves going off color. I donā€™t know how this photo got upside down, nor how to right it. Apologies.
I have no idea what these galvanized metal things are, but Iā€™m glad to meet them. I hope they work.

2 Likes

When you are looking at leaves for a diagnosis, you need to look at where on the plants itā€™s starting and also where on the leaves. Your leaves show itā€™s starting from the tips and working backwards towards the plant and its new growth thatā€™s being affected. The viens are still green between the yellow.

Check your water ph first, could be light burn as itā€™s just the top of the plant being affected, could be magnesium more likely as your lights are 30 inches above the plants.

If your water ph is good 6 to 6.5 I would give them some cal mag and see if they improve.

3 Likes

Thank you. Noticing more discoloration about 3 nodes down on the shorter, denser plant. I appreciate your suggestions.

1 Like

Free popcorn you must have been at Bucheits lol we got one down the street from me in Missouri

1 Like

Looks awesome neighbor, moved to the show me state sept 19 from Colorado look forward to the future medical program here

2 Likes