My first grow omg

@AceHigh , looking forward to watching your progress my friend! Plenty of experience on this site to guide you should you need it. Good luck! Watching with interest!

5 Likes

4 of them might start to cut it, but those would be some seriously unhappy plants, Iā€™m guessing. Iā€™d use a light rail or three to cover that kind of space, first offā€¦ and probably 6 middle-range LEDs, if you want to make them reasonably happy without breaking the bank on the top-of-the-line stuff. You could also get 9 of the LEDs instead of the 3 light rails, but theyā€™re about the same cost and light rails are more energy-efficient than another light. You wonā€™t have UV with the middle-range ones, or be able to hook them up to controllers easily, but for cost efficiency theyā€™re probably your best bet. Unfortunately, itā€™s still going to cost you a pretty penny, if you want to decently light that whole space.

If you wanted to try to light that whole space with those particular lights you have now? I wouldnā€™t, but if I did Iā€™d probably use at least 20 of them. It might be simpler, and far cheaper, for you to just cut down the space youā€™re using to grow; itā€™s less efficient than having an enclosed space for the light to bounce off of, but with 4 of those you could easily light a decent-size corner and grow a few plants there. Maybe more than a few, if you keep them in small pots and just grow single colas.

3 Likes

@DougDawson could give advice on the pp Iā€™m sure!

1 Like

Hey @AceHigh , when it comes to those types of lights look at the power draw for your number. Welcome to OG, nice to see another on their first grow. Best of luck. Lots of knowledge here to help you through it.

4 Likes

I had not planned on using the total space, I was just saying that I was using a grow room instead of a tent lol. I like an open area to work in, and use a good size corner of the room to grow in.
It gives me options if the plants need room to stretch.

7 Likes

Those lights will most definitely not be anywhere near powerful enough for a grow room that size, Iā€™d guess they may handle up to a 3x3 footprint at most. For the veg stage you can get away with cheap florescent lights but youā€™ll need some serious wattage for flowering those same plants, something like a true 800w-1000w light per 4x4 of footprint or about 4 of them. Ledā€™s are great but pricey, DIY is cheaper if you can do it, HPS or CMH is likely the cheapest easy option

All just my 2 cents

3 Likes

Youā€™ll lose a whole lot of light to a big open space, thatā€™s why homegrowers tend to use closets or tents, you could probably get away using those in a 3x3 or 2x4 tent/closet easier to control environment and keep dark during lights out while flowering(light during the dark period while flowering can cause a plant to go back into veg or even worse go hermie.

1 Like

As I posted above iā€™m only going to use a section of the room; about 3x7 and I have four of grow lights I posted above and have grown in similar sized area with tomatoes and other Veg plant with great results. Is there something that Im missing in how pot plants grow that it takes so much more lite than other plants? These lights are 16"x16" each, so 4 of them cover 1024 square inches if put side by side. And have over 900 leds.lol

2 Likes

Yeah most vegetables have a DLI of 20-30, cannabis needs 45-60

1 Like

Even a 3x7 room would be too much for those lights imo. You can grow with them yes, tomatoes or pot plants both but if you try flowering with them in that big of a space then what youā€™ll end up producing for the most part will be airy and fluffy buds, a fraction of what more powerful lights would produce. To get dense, rock hard buds you need light, lots of it, more than what those leds will put out.

Iā€™m not saying they wonā€™t do the job at all or that theyā€™re complete crap, Iā€™m saying they have a place but flowering is not it.

2 Likes

They will not have the penetration . How tall did your tomatoes grow ? Now I want you to imagine you flipped the lights to 12/12 instead of bringing them outside . Like flowered them .

They would stretch for the light and you would get 1 small ass tomatoe near the top of the plant . Everything under 12 -18 inches would just sit there or worse brown out and die .

Now if you really want to try flowering with those you have to manipulate the plant to grow low and wide . You could basically fill a 3x3 frame 6 - 10 inches deep max

4 Likes

Please just do not over thinnk your first run!! go with what you got and the knowledge shared by other on here but work from there learn from experience trial and error also hands on work ā€¦Iā€™m no pro by any means but ā€¦.

Be patient and leaf the seedlings aloneee donā€™t over water and they will grow step by step brother good luck

7 Likes

My Tomato plants got about 30" to 38" Tall and the tomatoes were average 3".
This was in my greenhouse so I figure Iā€™d add some lights to what I have once they get into veg.

3 Likes

@DougDawson I meant advice on this. Lol

3 Likes

I am here if they have any questions :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You be fine until flowering then u may want to upgrade

3 Likes

Glad you have all have taken thee time to stop by my grow; And appreciate all the feedback. That is why I joined here, all great people!

7 Likes

Would that happen to be Paonia Purple Paralyzer (mostly known as PPP here)? Thereā€™s lots of interest around here for that strain. Interested in seeing how yours grows and wondering about the lineage.

2 Likes

Yeah I was wondering why no one mentioned thatā€¦even after my comment to Doug. Then I thought to myself ā€œhuhā€¦ maybe itā€™s not a big dealā€¦ā€ Then I felt bad like I was trying to push his help on somebody lol

2 Likes

Thereā€™s so many names and the alphabet soup of abbreviations is hard to keep straight :joy:.
I still have plenty of PPP pollen to play with, but have yet to grow any of the seeds Iā€™ve made. I think Iā€™m going to dust one of the next GodBud Iā€™m going to bloom.

5 Likes