My first hydro (dwc) grow

Not running sterile @West, I am pretty sure…lol

I have been adding some cal/mag, Pro-Tek and some King Crab.

1 Like

How you managing to keep the water temps low enough that you don’t get root rot?? :thinking:

1 Like

Fortunately the tent has been staying in the low 70’s with lights on. Also the tent is in the basement. That seems to be doing it so far.

2 Likes

It’s the solution you need to be careful with. Really needs to be below 20c so bacteria etc in the water can’t effect the roots.
Honest once it sets in it’s a f#cking nightmare to fix. Hence all the sterile and beneficial questions. Good luck bro. When I got root rot I ended up buying a chiller AND running sterile both at the same time. :v:

2 Likes

King crab is the shit :+1:

Don’t really have to worry about water temp as much with bennies. You just have slower growth with higher temps.

1 Like

If you populate the Rez with good bacteria it out competes pythium. Haven’t had a issue since I switched from sterile.

I’ve been growing in rdwc since 06 and only last year switched to bennies. Wish I would have done it a lot sooner.

4 Likes

I’ve used great white a few times. Needs time to populate the rez. Won’t multiply like it does in soil though so you’ve got to add it each feed. You also need to make sure the chlorine is removed from the water or it kills the beneficial bacteria. Trust me I’ve done my homework on this. You can’t do any rez changes. If see your plants getting a deficiency and you dump the rez to fix the issue you’ve got to start the beneficial stuff again and let it establish itself. :wink:

2 Likes

I also have tried adding the Orca. Not sure about that one yet. If I am changing the bucket weekly, then aounds like I am wasting my time adding them.

1 Like

I use their whole line. Really good stuff.

Yeah adding them as a tea direct to the roots will keep pythium at bay but if your changing the water every week your waisting your money adding ocra or great white. Your doing a good thing with weekly changes. Maybe take a look at Dutch pro keep it clean or maybe some pool shock in small amounts. :+1:
I’d hate to see you get pythium late in flower and loose the entire plant :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Brew a tea instead of adding bacteria ever Rez change.

There will be bacteria on the roots and airstones even if you change the water so it’s not a waste.

3 Likes

Ordered some GH nutes to use. Had ordered a small bottle of one called Envy. Was not sure if I was going to continue with the hydro grow or not.

Since I am running low on nutes, the new ones come tomorrow, i just topped of the buckets that needed it. Ph’d all the buckets back to 5.7

4 Likes

Sorry I have not been keeping up with this like I should be. Things have been super busy.

So far I have not killed them. The are now 25 days into flower.

Blue Dream #1 is 56 inches tall.

Chocolate Cookie Dough is 47 inches.

Freak O Dank on 49 inches.

Blue Dream #2 was only in the tent 3 weeks before the flip. The. Rest were in there almost 8 weeks before the flip

9 Likes

Looking good!

1 Like

looks good man glad you found what works for you. :alien:

1 Like

@Old-Ron Any updates?

1 Like

@Reefer, thanks for checking in on me. Work has been keeping me busy with travel.

During one of my work trips, my helpers knocked out an air line, so one plant died after 7 weeks of flower.

The other 3 made it to the finish. Cut them down last Thursday the 24th.
The Chocolate Cookie Dough is frosty and a strong smell.

The Blue Dreams were nice too, but nothing exciting.

I just need to learn how to pack weight on to them. They lack some density.

The others I had not flipped got out of hand during traveling…lol

I finally got time to trim them back last week, and now they are in the flower tent.

10 Likes

This was my approach to RWDC.

Pretty typical except I pump nutes in at the bottom and let them overflow out of the top. Stops the roots from finding/clogging the drain line.

3 Likes

Gotta love that rootball!

1 Like

Had to move them from the Vivosun 4 x 4, to the Gorilla 5 x 5. They just out grew the other tent.

The pictures are from April 17th.

4 Likes