My first hydro (dwc) grow

Around 5 months ago I bought some equipment off Craigslist. The guy gave me a 3 pot dwc set up for free.

I have some Chocolate Cookie Dough clones I took a few weeks back. They rooted well and I figured why not try dwc.

So I hooked things up. Got some pointers from @blowingupjake and @shaggy450r. So, here is my first dwc (hydro) grow.

The strain is Chocolate Cookie Dough (Grand Chocolate x Dosido). I am in a Vivosun 3 x 3 tent under a platinum LED.

16 Likes

Very nice, DWC is a fairly easy way of growing bromigo…I do SWC in my Phototrons and use Technaflora BC Nutrients…

5 Likes

Thanks. I am an organic soil grower. I appreciate the suggestion about the nutes. Do not know much about salt based ones.

1 Like

I suggest you add something to keep the bubble buckets sterile as the water temperature will rise quickly in the tent and will cause root rot/pythium.

5 Likes

Hey bro, nice setup !

Welcome to the wet side of the force. kkkk

a suggestion:
Your both plants are the same strain, right ?:

Why you not do a RDWC ? connect te buckets and add more on as reservoir… it will worth of your time and the water flux its better to the roots.

and you will need measure the ph and ppm, add nutes once… and it will be easier to change the solution… think your plants bigger and u need to take the bucket tamp out to change the solution os measure the water quality

Think about it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I also run dwc, multiple strains and individual buckets. Lot more work than a rdwc like @LionsNaughtyBeans said but if something fails in RDWC you can have water everywhere. Unless I knock over a bucket, zero chance of water leak. All the connections on RDWC make me very nervous. I use GH three part for nutes.

6 Likes

I like the individual buckets too…RDWC if 1 bucket gets contaminated, all the buckets will get contaminated…

3 Likes

So far so good. The plants are still alive.

Looking at things, the single bucket approach seems best for me. I kept the last bucket set up I have empty for bucket changes.

I had a couple organic nutes that are acceptable for hydro too. Added them. Have some nutes coming today.

2 Likes

I’ve been considering trying one plant on hydro to see how it goes, but I’d really like to keep things organic, didn’t really think it was possible and was considering buckling and buying some Jacks 321… what kind of organic hydro nutes are you talking about, and how well do they work as far as clogging the reservoir or tubing? If there’s actually an organic hydro system that could work without frequent cleaning, I don’t know about it and would love to. :slight_smile: The guy at my local grow store recommended dissolved EWC or fish emulsion, which doesn’t seem like it would last for more than a week without a full cleaning.

2 Likes

Megacrop works well in dwc and is as close to organic your gonna get growing this way :v:

2 Likes

Neat, and they have a free sample size too, if it’s ever back in stock… I guess that whenever it is, that’s when I’ll try hydro. :wink:

2 Likes

Megacrop used to be a sponsor on here bro. Not sure what happened. If you use the search and type “megacrop” you should find plenty of threads about it. It’s good shit. One part powdered nutrient from start to finish :v:

4 Likes

Right now some of the Nectar of the Gods is good for soil or hydro. I had planned on changing buckets weekly, or having them done, if possible.

I will look at Megacrop. Thanks for sharing that @Esrgood4u

3 Likes

Changed the buckets tonight. Moved one of the 3 gallon buckets to the 5 gallon I had.

Added some Envy, nutes I ordered to try, along with some cal/mag.

Tapp is at 274ppm. Less that, the 5 gallon is at 1300ppm. 3 gallon is 1200ppm. This is the full dose diluted. Both are ph’d at 6.0.

Tent is at 72 degress lights on and 55 humidity.

I added a second airstone for now to the 3 gallon bucket to increase the airflow. @Shaggy shared a hack with me I plan to try.

Most import part so far is they are not dead. :blush:

4 Likes

Decided to use the 3rd bucket I have. Cleaned it up an added a Blue Dream to the dwc grow. I have grown this BD a few times, so it will help me judge some things with this.

7 Likes

The BD in the 3rd bucket was struggling. Decided to just toss it and replace with a clone I had. Changed the buckets on Saturday. Checked the ph tonight, it had raised between 6.7 and 7.2. Adjusted them back to 5.7

Chocolate Cookie Dough #1

Chocolate Cookie Dough

Blue Dream added tonight.

7 Likes

Are you running sterile or bennies?

Hey @Old-Ron, what is your considerations about hydro until now ? They’re looking wonderfull !

1 Like

I prefer to grow organically and like that soil seems to give me a cushion. I travel a lot for work. Hydro seems more time consuming and detailed right now to me, but I am still learning

I am not a fan of salt based nutes. However, I feel learning new ways and trying different things helps us grow. Really can not complain, compare, or comment on something if you have not tried it.

DWC seemed like the easier, and less expensive way to try it. So far it is tough to have a good or educated opinion on it since I am still learning.

Thanks for the compliment on the plants. Figers crossed they stay that way. :grin:

2 Likes

i working on an automation… to control the nutes add, ph and ppm and water level remotely… i need import some pieces from USA but i’m planning to end the project until march/22

here is the project im using as guide. its free and open source… and when i have done the mine, i will feel happy to give it free to OG members and help with the software part what is my area.

4 Likes