My Return to Cannabis - Kashmir Azad Indoor Open Pollination

Not nearly as many as you’d think, which is both a relief and a curiosity. I haven’t flipped the switch yet, though, but I am used to a bit more odor. So far, the biggest odor I get is a diesel/fuel smell with a slightly funky background. Sometimes I think I smell a skunky/stereotypical weed small, but when I investigate, I can never find it.

I’m hoping they pick up a bit soon in the fragrance department, but not so much that I need to think about filtration lol

4 Likes

Right on, i’m really curious about the Kashmir Azad terps… i have a cross going right now that has it as the father, and i am obsessing over it actually… trying to figure out whether what i’m smelling is coming from the kashmir or the other parent of that cross… anyway, i’ll be watching!

5 Likes

Most are pretty heavy on the funky car exhaust, until harvest. Then everything flips and all these fruits come out. My mother cut ends up like a bubble gum and pink lemonade, after curing for a while.

Would love to figure out how to keep the funk around. Could be a subpar temp/rh letting the terps evaporate while the plants are hanging to dry. I’ve terrible control over the environment in these >100 year old houses.

9 Likes

Culling is not always an ez decision when we hold them all so sacred. Yet sometimes that is the best thing to do. …
Starting me a few of these this weekend…
Pulling up a bean bag so this old hippy can enjoy your show…

6 Likes

does anyone else feel guilty when they cull? I feel like i will be punished with 10 years of bad plants lol

6 Likes

10 lashes…

3 Likes

Yes. In fact, I felt so guilty that I took back all my aluminum cans (There were a lot) and got soil and saucers to transplant the ones I’ve treated poorly into 15 gallon cloth pots. And then some cal mag for an added treat for them.

That can money was for extreme dankruptcy, but the plants need it.

14 Likes

the girls must be thrilled!

3 Likes

All done, these are their final resting places. Only 2 known males and the Dragon Fighter female live in anything other than the 15 gallon cloth pots. There are two known males in 7 gallon ‘misc’ garden containers, one known male in a 15 gallon cloth pot, and the female Dragon Fighter in a 7 gallon misc hydro store plastic pot.

I had to work really hard to unbind a lot of the roots during the transplant. I’ve got a trick to it, though, that can take the most tangled root balls and turn them in dangling, draping roots. I take the root ball, submerge it in water, and vibrate it and very gently agitate it in the water. This makes the soil fall out. After about 10-15 minutes, the root ball is just completely dangling like a DWC root ball. I am not sure why, but it being submerged in water makes it so the roots don’t break. If I try the same thing out of water, I might as well just use a knife to agitate the roots.

I’m thinking maybe 2 more weeks of veg, 3 at the max, before I flip.

18 Likes

Nice man… I see we have the same taste in soil also… hehe. Love me some Roots Organics, never found a soiless medium more loaded with goodness… I actually did a grow where all I added was calmag and a bloom booster at week 6. Good stuff, just be sure not to use the 707 as it’s for outdoor, slower draining… I use a lot of their foods also… Extreme Serene is a must…

15gal pots hold a shitload of soil… are you planning on growing some serious trees dude… ya gotta be… this is gonna be epic bro… I’m here for duration… hehe

5 Likes

I really like the 707 indoors, believe it or not. I usually add quite a bit more coarse perlite, especially in the early stages of growth, but I’ve noticed with my growing style (huge containers, cloth pots, super long veg), that the extra water retention really helps a lot later in the run, so I’ll often run it straight on the last transplant. I usually just use 707 as a starting off point because it’s cheap. I found it’s cheaper to amend or add what I need to it than to buy the finished product of what I need. It’s pure frugality/budget constraints.

And I really am trying to let them get massive. I’ve got 8ft tall ceilings and I’ve topped them at the second internode for four main colas. My plan is to flip them when they are chest height (I’m 6’2”). I really slowed them down with insanely aggressive topping and pruning. I’d like to have the plants pretty close to 6 feet tall.

9 Likes

Wow. This is gonna be interesting to say the least!

6 Likes

Wow, sounds like you are going to have a ton of beans to shuck. I like that you threw the dragon fighter in there, that could be an interesting cross. Anyhow, the grow is looking good. I’m anticipating that the room is going to be a jungle soon.

4 Likes

Things are coming along. My dog passed last week, so I’ve barely had the energy to water and feed.

On brighter news, the plants are now sexually mature. It took way longer than I am used to. It looks like the final ratio is 3 males to 8 females. I was only wrong about one plant, which was the one robust/vigorous plant I’d hoped was a female. Turns out, it isn’t a female.

I’ll give them a few more days, then do an aggressive pruning, then give them a week or so to recover then flip them to 12/12. Before I flip, I will take pictures and do a detailed write up of each individual plant.

22 Likes

Plants look great. Love the chair too. Nothing like sitting and watching the plants grow!

Very sorry to hear about your dog.

8 Likes

Sorry about your dog man. It always sucks losing animals. :crying_cat_face:

9 Likes

Take care man, connections between people and their dogs can be pretty deep, wishing you well. Also, your garden is looking great! Keep it up.

5 Likes

Great grow so far can’t wait to see the finish

3 Likes

Looking great!! Gonna b a jungle there! My heart goes out to you on your loss, my friend.

7 Likes

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It’s been touch and go, but the plants help.

I am, however, worried that I’ve gone too far in veg. I do this every time I try and grow. I did an aggressive trim and have moved to 16/8. I am going to move to 15/9 in a couple days and 14/10 a few after that, and so on. I’ll be at 12/12 in maybe 1.5 weeks.

With that said, have they gone too far? Am I in trouble during flower? I just looked at them today and got that “uh oh” kind of feeling, like maybe I am in over my head.

Switched to 15/9. Even that picture was stressing me out. I’ll be at 12/12 in a week.

24 Likes