Name Brand Seeds (v.s.) OG Seeds

I think it’s a very subjective. Each breeder and even each breeding project can be unique. I got very lucky in that the first seeds I bought as a new grower were BOG Bogglegum so it was well worth the $70 dollars that they cost. Also later even though I had a selected cutting a still wanted to buy seeds from BOG just to support if I had the extra money like a band I like. There are many seeds out there that I would consider not worth it or a gamble. That’s why researching the provenance is important. I do many hours of research before I buy anything. I’ll say I’d buy anything from Crickets and Cicada, AK Bean Brains, and more recently Golden Road Farms. There’s a few more. As far as OG seeds I’m sure it’s the same, subjective and based on many factors. Im new here but looking for to growing some fellow OGers seeds.

2 Likes

I really like OG seeds for more than this reason but, if it’s from a seed run, you have complete real time information of the whole grow.

Hard to say that about commercial seeds :+1:

(Just noticed this was an old thread and I already said this. Wake up, Foreigner :joy:)

4 Likes

I definitely agree. You have to put a lot of trust into seed breeders. If you’re getting seeds from someone who documented them then that adds to the provenance. That’s why I like Tony Greens all of his work has been well documented. Id definitely add him to that list of breeders I’d buy from whenever. However there’s definitely nothing wrong with just growing free seeds from people on here. I’m sure that’s where a lot of magic has been found especially if it’s something vintage. In fact it’s a lot smarter as seed buying seems to be a disease that causes extreme loss of money.

4 Likes

I’d wager many breeders are in no way more sophisticated than our homegrown OGers. There are some exceptional seedbank/breeders though and I would certainly consider them in the right situation.

With the exception of a few dud autos everything OG I’ve grown has been excellent.

12 Likes

I like OG seeds. Sometimes I think some of the outside stuff in my opinion can be tricky if to many growers around. I can see how bad seeds could be made. A friend of mine gave me some Dublin poison seeds. I was very excited. As usual, the story goes that these are one of a kind. Come to find out they were bred by some meth head. It ruined my garden. I had three strains that I have never been able to reproduce. One was gg4 and grape. I did have a chance to get a hold of the grape again. But I wasn’t able to, circumstances. But get back to the story. He grew those seeds last year. Trying to tell me how strong they would be because they were bi seeds. I told him they needed to be destroyed. What I’m getting out is that pollen could travel, and they can mess up anyone’s seeds. Some of those people don’t really care. OG I agree loves to spread seeds. There are some here that take pride. There are others that just do not care. They are out for themselves. They could care less what you get. And that is sad and I have seen that over the past few years.
I have an OG grow going on now. @Foreigner i have always enjoyed your topics and post. I wish I could live up north with you guys . Got some @DougDawson bog seeds. @Oldtimerunderground @Gpaw and @Jinglepot have been very good to me. Peace
ps I was able to get some great seeds from @JohnnyPotseed with some help from @DougDawson . I have Doug coming up soon. I’ll be tagging him.

11 Likes

@HeadyBearAdventures

everyone including myself had germination issues with the black snow, but i assure you it’s worth giving them a try. :fire: i myself have 3 black snow outdoors right now, but i just started them so i don’t know if they’ll grow to 10 feet like the last one i grew outdoors did…

4 Likes

personally I’ve stayed as close to the best breeders on earth…formed personal relations and go from there…after this one instance here trying an unvalidated stock entry into a mass audience in this cap junky I will never buy or trade seeds with anyone…too risky…actually I’ll rephrase that…I’d give my stock to ppl as freinds as it stands up because I know where it comes from…probably quite biased because I’ve only seen competent stock…but stay close to breeders and let them show you what there worth…get good at growing to the point breeders can’t resist you…and the jewels glisten brighter than any seedbank or giveaway…that’s just my house… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

There are some greedy time wasters in here. Sorry to bring down the thread. You detail a grow of some beans, then get asked for the beans under the premise they are hard for the other person to get, you use your time to package up and spend to send, then follow up a year later and you get “Oh yeah, they’re still sitting packaged up.” Like they didn’t beg for them in the first place and don’t have even the qualms about dismissing the effort you put in. One dude I sent beans to sent me a laughing emojis at the size of the beans I’d sent which were a specific var that were known to put out small beans. Truly ungrateful. I could have kept those beans and run them myself but sent them to share and spread around not to lord it over the person/people that had the decency to send them in the first place. Fucking brass neck shit.
I have beans to pass around but have to see a person is as passionate and respectful. Too many greedy, lazy ignorant hoarders flopping it for everyone else.

12 Likes

There was a breeder that said to get their packs of seeds in a seed bank - takes a # of years - first breed, then send out testers, the contact seed bank, then one must have at least 20 packs of seed with the breeder only receiving 20% of their the cost of seeds ( breeding a strain take’s years for distribution _ That’s why breederg auto’s is faster - 4 crops per year vs photos with 3 crops a year, also the higher “f” F1-F2-F3 ,ect the more stable genetics. The only way for breeder to “show” their work in on site like this ( got a pack of $250.00 (fems)(7) for $60.00 and really couldn’t really justify the cost of $250.00 - even has one that didn’t germinate

2 Likes

On name brand stuff th seeds, ethos
Twenty20 and humboldt seed company have straight fire and are priced pretty reasonably especially for fems

7 Likes

I like those.

1 Like

Man I’m really sorry that happened to you. I try my best to treat everyone here with respect & kindness. Everyone has on off-day but the laughing emojis, that’s pretty cold for someone giving out of the goodness of their heart.

I’d be willing to bet most people here are decent though & I hope those isolated incidents don’t keep you from enjoying the site :+1:

14 Likes

All good. Hasn’t put me off. Cheers.

8 Likes

Well, it’s even worse (imho). I’m seeing these seeds listed in trades … and as “OG freebies”. And not little lists. For the case of a wanted feedback, i think that a “no active grow log here, no seeds” is a decent strategy.

I can’t let it go as it ^^ Even if it’s doomed to be unpopular.
Taking 3-5 years to develop an unique strain is absolutely not the standard today, but more a kind of unicorn for the retail market. Because the demand is like it, we are in a “cost co” cycle.

That’s the most vicious aspect of the 3.0 marketing. It’s made for people that don’t realize how the things are really made. When you pass 3-5 years to develop something, you don’t need testers because your own tests are a part of the R&D. Even sending seeds to elite growers can’t affect the development, only the breeder have the grid to read the plants. A “yield is good” don’t help in any way to increase actually the yield of a strain, you need to be on site to check yourself the plants.

What is called “testing program” today is mostly just a strategy of presence and communication. “Coverage” is the best definition but we start to fall in slang.

The bigger cost of the seeds are the hour’s rate of the breeder. To give an example, a decent lab (no, not a warehouse or a greenhouse set to produce weed) cost around 3K-5K per month. At this price you can provide a few seedbanks (not retailers) at a time. All included. At fair price it’s 60/100 “10bags” per month, one single vegged female.

Now on retail price, the margin is entirely set by the breeder/seedbank. Of course a retailer will more push a line bough at 18 and sold at 60, than a a low margin bag if not hyped as fuck and in the list only for the traffic it generate. Because behind this margin, retailers generally have to pay taxes, VAT, marketing, freebies, employees, postal costs, dealing with stoners … it’s where the real and bigger costs are.

No, the process is technically longer. An a lot longer in considering the preparation of the lines used to make the final release.

^^ i pass on details. But a natural line (let’s call a cat , a cat) can output 1 harvest per twos months. The volume of the harvest being only limited by the number of clones you’re growing per sqm.

It’s the reverse until you reach a stable state of the release, and it don’t depend on the generation’s number but on the selection. A F3 can be more stable than a F5, a F1 more stable than a F7 … there is no rules on it but breeding strategies. Stabilizing on long term lines can also not be a goal, but a fight to generate news segregations and opportunities.

It’s called a rape. Simply. Even for 60. Fems are seeds-to-smoke, there no point to invest in it.

I totally agree if it’s not a rare breeding material outputting each time incredible phenotypes to use/stabilize/outcross. Without being a herm’s orgy ^^ But the more the masses will push breeders to produce random shit chemically treated, the more expensive will be the real worked lines.

A price tag of 250 per 10 reg for a line worked decently 5 years with real QC control, full documentation on how is growing the release start to end, decent customer service (tracking of batches etc …) will not affraid me to buy considering the actual general shit show for not so cheaper.

5 Likes

if you want the original strain, from the original breeder, yes it’s worth it.

1 Like

For classic strains - mean straight up classic’s like Trainwreck, OG, ect from original breeders - cost $99.00 per - fems Check out the site – what do you-all think ? site is “GetSeedsRightHere” then go to “classic Strain” (breeder list) again thoughts @Fuel totally agree with you - it’s more than just “spreading pollen” Most cultivator don’t know and complain about seed prices - NOW $1,000 + for seeds is some what hard to understand - explain that ??? maybe they were made/germinated on the space station !!! $100,00 give or take is my $ limit for seeds _But for rare seeds the sky is the limit in pricing , just wish I had saved some from Vietnam, panama , and the Islands

2 Likes

On a volume’s perspective, it’s true for me : people complain more on prices than quality.
I’m seeing it like this manner to buy a fake chinesed Vuitton bag. Name is everything, and quality far from the eyes ^^ But at one point, everybody will have a fake and another phase will come.

Now on money, i’ve nothing against high prices. Really. And i really think that we are already in a Darwinian phase of the market, washing the excess.

It’s too late and too far, prices of reliable genetics are planned to increase drastically in the next years and it’s a fair blowback imho.

On a personnal side, if the seedbank XYZ offer a luxury service with its luxury seeds … i will be the first to be loyal and a fanboy as fuck. And we are talking about something not specially fancy that you can find in the hemp industry. But it’s no longer buying seeds for weed, it’s buying genetic to play with.

3 Likes

https://www.greatlakesgenetics.com/product/genetic-designer-heaven-12-seeds-pre-order/

Even at these amazing prices?

7 Likes

7k what a steal! Sign me up for 2 packs bet he sends seeds loose in a paper saw someone who bought a cheeper pack came with no packaging just a folded piece of paper no baggie :joy: @Slammedsonoma420

3 Likes

I mean $500 for a single seed come on! That’s just stupid.

4 Likes