Name Brand Seeds (v.s.) OG Seeds

Man that’s awesome to hear!

Could be that OG members are passionate & put more thought/work/time into things. And we get to see their work in the journals/grow diaries, there’s no guesswork…we can see every bit. No secret sauce. For all we know some of these respected big names phoned it in long ago after achieving success. Lots of businesses do that. Again, awesome to hear your opinion (on so many levels). Super excited to try these OG genetics!

8 Likes

I’ve had great weed from cheap seeds and loads of junk/utter crap from £60/100 seeds in the last few years.

I’m starting to think that there isn’t really good strains as such its more good phenos if you’re lucky enough to find one.

In the last couple of years I’ve grown loads of crap, for for circa 12/15 strains 7/8 harvests I’ve got 2 phenos that are worth a mention.

I set out 2+ years ago to find a good cheese plant, a good blueberry and some cat piss skunk…pfft haha… I’m still damn looking, i nearly threw in the towel for a 2nd time voluntarily because of the persistent junk watery terps, hail bluchi it saved the day, i absolutely love growing but there has to be a reward for my efforts and I wasn’t getting it.

21 Likes

What have you run from Tony Green and do you have a favorite of his?

1 Like

I’ve been following Tony Green and his methods since 2015. The first seeds of his i grew were Gorilla Bubble BX2 , BX3, Lime Gorilla Bubble (i think it was called), Great Lakes Haze, Pine Tar Gush, G-Unit and I just finished an outdoor greenhouse light dep grow that included a couple Bubble Head girls. I have a pretty extensive seed collection of his works since 2015.
I’ve conversed with Tony many times online and the guy is such a genuine person, generous, positive and has a passion for breeding that he lays right out there for everyoe to see. When he works a line, it’s all out there for growers to follow.
I would say as far as buying beans go… I have never been disappointed when I pop Tony Green’s Tortured Beans. … worth every penny.

15 Likes

I’ve had some weird things happen with OG gear but nothing weirder than with breeder gear. Herms, mutants, freaks, par for the course either way :+1:

10 Likes

Everything I’ve grown from a breeder pack that I finished was consistently quality.(the ones I didn’t finish were loaded with herms and males but that’s not typical I will just never buy from that breeder again, even if it was a one off paying $100 for a waste of time leaves a bad taste in my mouth.)

OG’er seeds have been mostly fire, I’ve had a few mediocre plants, but not enough to discourage.

I think it’s bad to encourage the “hype” breeder prices I’m looking at you Compound, and Seedjunky.

Kinda the one thing that has me excited for the chemovar testing tech really. A big pheno hunt has a lot of running costs, if all you gotta do is pop seeds and get a leaf tested that’s megawatt hours in costs saved.

9 Likes

hi all well ive grown many seeds from many sources and have loved some and hated others! best ive had was from an american grower went by the name hillbilly,gdp x mazar regs they was smashing weed, also had some great genetics from friends who have the skills to make great selections when breeding.
then i got sponsored by barneys farm and sent a selection back in 2013-14 and got stuck on a particular chemotype of there tangerine dream of which a motherplant still lives in my veg cab and i hope always will .
@HorseBadorites gifted me some ssdd f2s and 3s they were very nice and consistent growth smelled loverly!
not had seeds from here yet as i still have a few packs here to use before they die,or i do!
dinafem i like,dutch passion have some good autos.
just finished diesel jones double strawberry fem photos and have to say its very nice weed and just a shame there was some budrot,next run will be better as i do good with clones,keep up the home breeding i say!

6 Likes

I decided to start breeding some years past because I wanted THCV and a relaxed strain. I spent good coin on about 13 strains hoping to get 5 keeper strains. I dealt with some breeders that had good reputations. I got 2 keepers and now realize that breeding practices were just short cuts. And the worst short cuts involved using fems in breeding. And a couple others were copies from good strains but not selective as far as best parents. I have my own fire now but what I learned in the process is valuable. I’m a full on regular photo kind of guy now. And I did a lot of pheno hunts with traded seeds and the gene pool is hermied up for the most part. Regular seeds are less work in the long run for me and I have a few hundred fems that will sit and wait for a new owner.

4 Likes

Wow! I’ve heard nice things about SSDD and f3’s, nice. When something is f3 you know that it’s probably sexually healthy.

2 Likes

Why is that?
I ask because I’m looking at crossing related males into fem seeds (A x (A x B)) sort of thing and I’m concerned about ‘pitfalls’, especially ones I’m not seeing…

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Wow, long explanation required. In short hermies make hermies. The weed can be great but unless it’s been grown at least 3 times as regular it probably is not the best to breed with. This hermie trait or gene might take more than 10 generations to eliminate and I’ve never tested like that. But in my pheno hunts I found only 2 strains that were perfectly healthy, but this health was there when I got it. But I’ve identified traits that signify sexual heath. It’s extremely interesting and it’s going to be common knowledge soon. But for now everyone will rag on guys like me and Ethos because our theory exposes their practices are wrong.

5 Likes

I’ll keep a close watch for herms (I usually do unless I grown the cultivar enough to really know it).

Thanks and cheers
G

2 Likes

No buddy, I’ve not tried anything from Tony Green, i recognize the name but it doesn’t mean anything to me.

3 Likes

Also gotta say my top 3 favorite strains are from og’ers @anonymous4289’s Apollo ape, and Black Snow, @rooted’s breath of the beast

7 Likes

I think I might have some Cheese beans. And I just put 8 down to make some more.

3 Likes

Also dynasty has been working with exodus cheese the legit Uk cheese I’m sure you can find some real cheesy phenos in some of his crosses :call_me_hand: @Star_Dog

4 Likes

More lottery tickets the better chance to win. Home grown seeds are like homemade lottery tickets in many ways and you can print as many as you want.
Make seeds.
But finding gear worthy of breeding together is a task sometimes from breeder packs. And that definitely effects your home lottery ticket making odds of winning. Have fun with it and take as much time as you need to win that lottery.

5 Likes

So much of the commercial stuff has just been ruined, it’s sad. It’s just a cash grab for pollen chuckers who can come up trendy names for their mids.

I think maybe once I was impressed with stuff from a dispensary, and it was impossible to find it again.

I remember trading beans with other OG members way back in the early 2000s, and I would rather get gifted beans than pay some hack for a iffy product.

I’m still sitting on 15+ year old seeds, but so far I haven’t had a single one germinate. I want to get growing again, but I’m not paying outrageous prices for junk.

6 Likes

I saw white rhino is one of your favorites on your list if you want I got a 5 regular seeds of them if your in the USA I’d send them your way so you can start growing again shoot me a DM if interested @Hippiechik

9 Likes

/\
THIS. This is the magic of Overgrow. Freaking amazing, generous people looking to help each other & lift each other up. Every time I come on here I feel better. Love it :heart:

11 Likes