Need help with diagnosis of old Se asian sativs

I think the Cambodian genetics are shining in those 2.

3 Likes

If i mix mentally what i’ve saw from the thaï hybrids and i what i know from the dalat, to imagine a cambodgian … i’m 100% sure that i will guess bullshits lol A global pic at end of July will be interresting to sort in my organic book. The only continent i’ve explored in strains from north to south is Africa.

When the difference of tension between the twos soils will be streamlined, i think mother nature will deal with these light burns. Anyway, for the lack of voluntary dirty hands in NY … better safe than sorry.

2 Likes

I’m going with G-Man looks like wind damage to me are if you did a foiler spray and stuck it under lights that will do the same thing. I sprayed some of Johnny pot seeds ultimatum bug spray which works great by the way except for don’t put them in the sun or wind afterwards. My Vietnamese did the same thing after a bug spray and a good dose of wind. It took about a month but they finally recovered peeled all the wind burnt leaves off

4 Likes

I’m going to guess PH for that pheno is off a little bit. I would try slight shifts up and down and watch the new growth to see what’s happening. Chances are it will grow out of that problem on its own. Especially when the flower hormones kick in.

1 Like

Oh yeah, very red.

6 Likes

It does look like wind burn a little bit, but the leaves with the weird look steadily march up the plant, and I have not had them in any wind for two 2weeks or more. When they were in my grow room, they were in there with all the other plants and getting no more wind than any other one. I did spray them with neem oil once, but there is new growth that didn’t see any oil, and it is getting that look now, too. The plants are 4 months old now. The issue presented itself three months ago. 3 out of 3 plants of this pheno have it, while the males and the 2 females of the other pheno have been fine in the same soil.
@chara It could be that the ph is a little off for this pheno, but there is no changing it, as I am a soil grower. I’ve used citric acid before, but tinkering with that stuff, I am more likely to cause additional problems than to fix anything, as I would be starting from a complete guess. The plants have been in flowering since february eighteenth at birth.
Wow @GMan that is Red! Much brighter than what we have nearby in the upper East Delaware valleys. That’s almost orange looking. Neat.
Could this be a virus?
I guess the best thing is to just transplant them like. I had planned, putting them outside in the ground. The problem is I will have no way to keep the flowering going. They are finally preflowering at week 16. This one goes forever.

3 Likes

One test would be to water one plant with citric acid or equivalent to slightly lower ph and give one of the others a light agricultural lime water mix. You could always flush out the additives (since they are still in pots) if the symptoms stay the same or get worse. If it was me I would want to know why it’s happening for future reference. Because it’s a seedling I would probably rule out a virus but it’s not impossible. You do have a point about the delicate balance of soil and how easy it is to screw it up. And maybe some plants are just old and weak and shouldn’t be reproducing anymore.

2 Likes

I’m leaning towards this idea the most, with #2 being too much food/ph, and at #3, the soil is too compact. I have Ten different land races in the same mix right now, and they all love it. Many of them are from the seventies or sixties. It really shouldn’t be too much food, but I had an experience with the landrace team jamaican that tells me it is possible. Then again, Maybe it just needs extra magnesium or Potassium, a different phenotype that has Special soil requirements from a different country of origin. I have seen a picture of this pheno and it was healthy.
The other thing is, their container size was doubled several weeks ago and it made no difference. I am absolutely positive there is plenty of magnesium in there ,as well as every other nutrient. Still planning on putting them in the dirt but haven’t had time to do it

3 Likes

That is what I see is a K burn.
Hard to tell for sure but that is my guess.

2 Likes

@Upstate i just found this thread.

well, i am remebering, there were two Cambodian Lines relase, one is Mekong -Delta9labs… it was alost impossible for people to sprout the Seeds.
the other was IndianlandraceExchange - Cambodain… Here aswell, it was impossible for someone to sprout seeds.

There was another Story, a guy grew a recently collected Columbian landrace collected in a swamp he said. All grew a couple inches and then died off.
he managed to find Soil-descriptions of such a columbian swam, and somehow imitaded it.
then they lived…

MY impression therefore is that Cambodain wich this 3-way is assumbaly 50 percent or so, has very special Soil.
Cambodian is also one of the most unique looking plants from what ive seen.
They grow unusually small, smaller than their neighbours vietnamese , laos and thai…

they have a special combination of green and red hues wich is rare (in my eye atleast).

so, all in all another soil might be necessary to avoid this next time.

i ddidntmean they are super inbreed, like almost at the end… they dont look like that to me…
Now that ive told you that cambodians grow rather small, dont mistacke that for depression…

depressed strains look different, they dont shine as much, they look like a mp3 file compared to lossles (for audio guys that is). i dont see this state reached… minimally, like always with ibls…

Ive seen 50 y old cuttings dying of , well its not depression, but almost reminded me of depression, so im not unable to imagine that, BUT its not that…

anyway…
good luck blue pheno.

@GREANDAL wouldnt you be able to explain us a cambodian soil, lol

all i know tropical soils have a 10 inch layer of nutrient rich soil,lower than that its just very poor soil. if i recall correctly only like 4 , 5 feet down there come nutrients again residuing in a clay bottom layer… in between clay and the nutrient-toplayer its empty poor soil…

but really dont ask me for soil-descriptions…

what i also heard that the vietnamese echanged soil a bit trough digging into branches and vegetation, or burning them even first… to enrich soil a bit… waited 3 years till everything has transformed into good soil a bit…
anyway…

3 Likes

greandal told me the vietnam soil has good drainage . water flows very effortless down and out.

3 Likes

If it’s volcanic then it’s probably like this….

It’s high clay but well draining, acidic, and needs at least 10% organic matter to bring it to life but it has lots of iron, magnesium and manganese and good amounts of intrinsic fertility so it makes a good base esp. for SE Asian plants

The ground up progress sounds like septoria but it doesn’t look like that otherwise.

Idk those plants look generally weedy, like an overall failure to thrive, I could see inbreeding causing low vigour, but that wouldn’t cause the tissue damage on the leaves. What are the roots doing any idea? Also if the soil were hot, it would have hammered them when they were younger I would have thought. Could be a virus maybe , failure to thrive is a symptom of the hop pox, but I don’t know if it causes leaves to burn and curl like that.

Can you up pot to a well settled potting mix and feed it with kelp/guano etc?

3 Likes

its was Greandal who once started to teach me how to imitate Viet Soil, first thing he mentioned if i can construct a lowest layer of Gravel so the water drains super fast…

well he could continue the lesson, :kissing_closed_eyes:

sounds about right @slain but hey, i am really a student in this… im just-mix-compost type guy…

2 Likes

One thing that caught me out with red volcanic soil was that the high acidity can cause the high magnesium/manganese to become toxic to the plant! I also had head scratching symptoms that took me a while to work out.

2 Likes

That’s possible. It really looks like Magnesium is off, but the other plants, one a Cambo pheno for sure, are healthy and growing well. They love my soil.
I’m leaning towards a viral issue more than anything else. I downloaded a plant disease app and snapped a photo. It said virus most likely cause. I definitely don’t want to risk spreading a virus, especially when I have healthy plants that did well. I’ll toss a couple seeds in the same pot and see what happens with those as an experiment. If they grow normally, it’s the plant. If they grow the same I’d say it’s a virus that can spread and I’ll have to kill the plants and toss the soil. I was going to plant them in my garden but then I could be planting virus infected soil in my garden. Last option is to give them some more garden soil mixed in with the container mix I gave them and put them in a bigger container to see what happens.

Shit. I read that wrong the first time. Glad I took a screenshot.
"Abiotic disorders are caused by non infectious disorders and environmental conditions. I’ll try repotting with more perlite and garden soil. Maybe the mix is off somehow. @slain I agree, if the soil was too strong they would have burned up when young. Maybe it’s just too dense. They may have gone into soil that was at the bottom of my mixing bin and all the perlite could have been snagged earlier for the other plants. My soil is real heavy, and needs to be fluffed up for container gardening.
@romanoweed thanks for the insight buddy. I’m grasping at straws here, so all input is valuable to me. Even from a fellow compost grower😁

3 Likes

Here’s the healthy females.

Week 18 of flowering @slain ever have a 30 week plant? The tall one is barely starting to throw flowers

4 Likes

Yeah def in a larger pot, that way you can keep it quarantined and give it some room to see if it will ‘grow out of it’ maybe a kelp drench when you repot? That shit is magic for stressed plants. Also have you tried a weak foliar feed to see if you get a response?

1 Like

Bro I think maybe I got ADHD but I’d probably eat my own arm if I had to wait that long :rofl:

I wonder if it would be any different in a tropical climate? I guess I’ve seen ones that just never stop flowering, they sprout seeds still attached to the flowers and eventually drop them ready sprouted and then they rot off the flowers and reveg! That’s gotta be wild plant genes? Like as a plant it’s evolved from a perennial monoecious plant to an anual dioecious one, those old genes have gotta be somewhere🤷‍♂️

1 Like

Viviary is the name for that, if I recall correctly. I’ve seen plants here that people left lots of bud after a harvest, and I found them in the springtime, looking for a spot to grow. One spot in particular had hundreds of sprouts in the buds, with many dropping off and rooting. Pretty cool.

[quote=“slain, post:39, topic:113975”]
Bro I think maybe I got ADHD but I’d probably eat my own arm if I had to wait that long :rofl:

I’m starting to nibble!:rofl::joy::rofl:

This one never starts lol. Well, it’s starting now, but it’s slow as molasses. If it’s a forever flower, I’ll easily breach the mid 30’s( weeks)
Lambsbread is currently my longest grow, at 23 weeks. Maybe Goroka Highland went 26, but for a 10 day window in the middle, I thought it was a male, and left it outside with 15-16 hour days, as I wasn’t ready for pollen at the time. Didn’t seem to slow it up any.

These do have TINY seeds. Certainly only semi domesticated, at best. I could imagine these living a couple years or more.
I crossed it with Lambsbread so far. Next will be a preservation, and then I’ll be crossing to Old Silversides ( female) as well. Should be pretty epic😎

2 Likes

nnnhhh. lol

first: i dunno but in theory strong weed is always domesticated…
2nd, well if the people never bread for hemp industrial purposes such as seed-food, then why would the seeds have to become bigger, if they are not used…

imho you make too fast conclusions yet again, or you have overwhelming evidence that you didnt show to us atleast… :grinning:

you sound sometimes like an expert, but yet you probably would admit that you never seen a 70s camb. thai viet or similar not on pic or anythign…

i can show you pic if i have too how pure 70s cam would look like… you havent seen or known much about that , right?
you also didnt know the cambods grow a little smaller than other, no ?

sorry, not trying to be rude just saying… you jusdge mostly on things me and you have barely seen, at max you read in a book about it… so you trust a single book … a single man… (i assume )…
i wouldnt …

On the other hand, you may be not super wrong if you suspect a bit of lesser domestication in SE Asian, in some strains.. nice nice… you may even be right that a certain amount of wild genes is benefitial and actually was responsible for the sheer potency of SE Asians… why not
but again, i assume you specualte pretty far,