Need help with first grow

This is my first grow so Any help would be appreciated. my plant first set of fan leaves have turned yellow at the ends as if they have burned and also some of the plants new grow is developing the yellow tips as well I’ve fed liquid nutes at half dose and only water every 3 days or when soil is dry. I’m not sure what the problem could be coming from.
My set up is 3x3x6 tent with a 600w Vivosun I have a small usb fan blowing on the plant also is my plant too low ?.

12 Likes

Hi and welcome beer3|nullxnull, could you post a pic with natural light? Thanks … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Looks to be on the start of a nute burn or hungry enough to start eating itself so feed may need upped… What are you feeding and at what levels?

Also waiting for the pot to dry out completely before you water is probably doing some hell on those roots… They like to be nice and moist consistently… now don’t get me wrong, you can over water, but gotta find that “almost always wet but not overly so” medium…

All that aside the plant is got some great spacing, should be a fine grow

6 Likes

I’m using root farm nutes the base and the bloom. on the back it’s recommending at seedling stage to give 5ml of both with water and to have the nutrient solution between 5.5-6.5 I got ph to 7 exact and didn’t go lower cuz I read online that 7 ph water is good for cannabis plants. I also waited till it was dry because I had seedling die from dampening off when I first tried. It’s been 3 days since I’ve watered and the soil in the pot is moist damp feeling.

2 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

What kind of soil are you in? If it has nutrients in it already I doubt the plant has managed to consume them at this stage. How much are you watering at a time?

4 Likes

I was going to suggest different lighting for pictures but you got that tip.

3 Likes

Hey @Lucky777 welcome to Og and a awesome first post! for a first grow your looking good , lol I remember my first grow I was 12, didnt know nothing, and there was no internet,and back then no one talked about it you have a couple of issues but still for first time looks good to me

6 Likes

welcome @Lucky777

A plant that size needs NO nutrients. A very small amount of straight water. A good light source. Anything else and you’ll screw it up. Tend to it as little as possible and you’ll be fine.

5 Likes

I’m using pro mix organic vegetable and herb it says it has slow release fertilizer. I just transplanted from solo cup last week I watered the middle soil where the plant be and it started to dry about two days later which is when I watered The whole pot until I got a little run off which was about 2 gallons of water for a 3.5 gallon pot

1 Like

I half dosed it cuz I didn’t wanna overdue it I’m assuming you think its nute burn and that I should flush the soil.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, @Lucky777

Congrats on taking action & putting some seeds in the ground (seriously, a lot never get past dreaming).
I’ve been growing a bit over a year, so still pretty new*
Great advice above:

1 - natural light. “Burple” (red/blue lights) make trouble shooting almost impossible, even in 1st person.
2 - don’t let the soil completely dry out (that’s used for pest control, but not “good” for the plants).
3 - less is more - A LOT more in the case of us soil growers. Soil starts with nutrients and then becomes depleted as the plants consume them; so we usually don’t need to start feeding for a while. I actually start my seedlings in last grow’s soil (as long as I didn’t have problems) - I feel that the slightly depleted soil is gentler on the babies and I don’t get burnt / funny looking leaves.

If that was my plant - it would still be in old soil, drinking straight tap water - at that size, I start thinking that they’re ready for their first sips of nutes (GH Trio @ 1/2 strength to start feeding in my garden)

Aside from the tip burn - nice looking plant! Should grow up just fine.

*I’ve only been growing for a bit over a year, but I STUDY journals here and a couple other places to see where I can improve my growing. There should be a diploma handed out after “completing” a certain number of categories!

edit - IMHO do not flush. Just give plain water for the next couple of waterings - soil flushes itself that way.

5 Likes

Welcome @Lucky777

1 Like

I notice a nutrient burn in the old leaves. Until they develop the first pair of complete leaves they don’t need any nutes, they take them from the cotyledons.

pH 7 is too high for a plant, check this:

Soil pH chart

you will see he misses many nutrients, I would go between 6 and 6.5 so all of them are available.

IMHO too much water, that’s why it keeps feeling damp, roots doesn’t like that, they need oxygen. I would water according to the plant size, not the pot, and not let them dry.

New growth looks OK, if you see it goes lighter green you can increase the nutes, that nute burn looks like something in the past, keep us updated … beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

It’s blurple for blue and purple I believe.

2 Likes

You’re headed towards nutrient lock. Give your plant a good drink with plain pH’d water. Fill the pot with enough water that it flows clear from the bottom. Do that twice (this is to free salts from the roots). Then wait for new growth to develop before putting more nutrients (should be within 24 hours).

But mine have gas! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Burp!

Always wondered about the that…
All of my “white box” blurples came from growmies to get me started - they’re mostly red diodes. Supplementing the GrowDaddy rigs in my flowering tent for now.

The Viparspectras - TC-600 & a VA-1200 are running my veg tent at 530w ( 33w per sq. ft )
They lean much more violet / white than the white boxes.

My number one advice to newbies is “Do not fuck with ph in soil!” I repeat, Do not fuck with ph in soil!

Secondly, soil feeds plants for at least 4 weeks.

You are trying to do too much. Leave them alone.

8 Likes

I just watered it yesterday since last Friday only around the plant instead of the whole pot with plain Phd water new growth looks fine but the 4 starting fan leaves got The burn the most will this effect my yield into harvest?.