New 3D-Printed, Snap-fit, Low-profile Mailing Pucks Just Dropped

Yep, they were one of the ones I had trouble with using the single-hole pucks! To be honest, while HUGE, the germination hasn’t been very good so far… there appears to be so much stored nutrient in those basketballs that they tend to get a jelly-halo around them really fast in the soak. I’ve tried various timings on the water-changes, various levels of hydrogen peroxide, etc but haven’t hit the magic combo! YET! :rofl:

:call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Only issue i see with the multi sectioned puck and putting multiple crosses in it, is that the top is not connected to the bottom and someone may put the cap on wrong. It’s a cool design though to fit more beans in

2 Likes

That’s what I meant with ‘watermarks’ to delineate the sections (I guess on both lid & body?)!

3 Likes

Yo @bluelizard ! Since you’re into it…figure I’ll drop another idea for you to look into! “Benders” - I bought some cheapies and some (of them) worked! But most self-destructed n about 4 days of sunshine. Round II: I just bought 2 different types, likewise cheap as can be! These look less destructive! The green ones are 2-pieces that snap together via a hexagon shape ball and socket…means you can remove them by pulling apart rather than over-bending and snapping your stem.

To look at them it’s be a snap to 3D print! Don’t know if there’s already a template out there or not? Any other 3-D printers know anything about these?

I’ll report back after trying them out!

4 Likes

Like the size of a 50 cent coin or what size ? I think for something bigger having individual pizza shaped caps to lift to have a sense of security in case u want to send multiple strains and keep them from mixing would be a good idea. Maybe like 2.75 inch diameter anyways I don’t have a printer but that sounds cool too for someone like me who loves to send several strains occasionally !

@bluelizard

How much are these ?

2 Likes

Stoners hard at work for the betterment of our GR8 OG community! :wink::clap::+1::facepunch::sunglasses::turkey::v:

2 Likes

Love the RND of sending seed as good as possible. Keep up the good work all. OGTW

4 Likes

Does anyone make these? I would be interested in trying them.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for giving out the file @bluelizard. I will print some of these asap, get you some feedback. I also like how you included 3 thicknesses for the small and larger seeds.

One day we will come up with the perfect OG seed case and then we can Overprint the Forum!!

8 Likes

Thank you for your input! Great ideas. I’m going to work on IDing each section. Those are some huge freakin’ seeds lol. I made three different versions that are uploaded right now with varying thicknesses and seed clearances:

• 4.3 mm thick for seeds less than 2.8 mm
  • 4.8 mm thick for seeds less than 3.4 mm
  • 5.0 mm thick for seeds less than 3.7 mm

I measured that single-hole puck in my slicer and it looks like the clearance on that one is 3.8mm, just slightly larger than my largest at 3.7mm, so it’s safe to say if they don’t fit in that puck, they won’t fit in the ones I have made so far. I could bump it up a bit, but then the puck will be over 5mm. I am going to work on a larger diameter puck and one that takes the multi-hole insert as well @CADMAN, @SubzeroIceKold, @HeadyBearAdventures.

Per those LST clips, I love them. I use similar ones with every grow. I’ve never seen those second ones you posted, they look cool. Here’s the ones I use:

@SubzeroIceKold @OhNo555 Not currently selling any of the pucks and I might not be able to due to lack of time right now. Maybe someone else can print and sell them as soon as we get a good version going or something like that. Thank you @Hemlock! I really appreciate all of your guys’ comments and feedback!

9 Likes

I really like the 2 piece design!
I will say, from personal experience, that the channel is quite narrow on the one piece, and maybe a bit shallow (difficult to say without scale).
I had ones like that, but the branches slipped out, or got “cut in” before the plant adapted to the LST shape.
I bought slightly more expensive ones that were both deeper and wider, and I love them.

3 Likes

I didn’t make these, have just been using them for a while. That single piece is actually much larger, but I have it scaled down for early guiding on new shoots. I print new ones with each grow and size them how I need them. You are right about the issue of stems slipping out, I find them on the floor of my tent as the plants grow lol. So, I might make my own design that does a better job of keeping them in place at some point

3 Likes

I’m quite interested in the type used to widen two tops growing out after a pinch. Those blue ones in my photos above work, but the plastic tends to break after a few day’s Sun exposure. I got them in 2 sizes…really like the idea of just scaling/printing them to what’s needed! I’m just about to do a whole bunch of solo-to-1 gallon airpots in the E&F table and thinking the only way they are all gonna fit is if I manipulate all of them really heavily! I’m just sick & tired of wire-bending! :rofl:

1 Like

How easily are the lids to remove? I can see my fumble fingered self trying to unsnap the lid as seeds suddenly :loop:roll across the table. Just wondering.

1 Like

We make these @OhNo555
Adjustable plant trainers.

10 Likes

that contributed to my 25% success rate this season. lost one on the counter when the puck opened, one didn’t come up through the dirt, one went to root rot, and one made it after several ordeals that led to trauma and about an ounce of smoke. not too shabby for my buddy’s first time growing. really got things dialed in.

back on topic, i prefer the coin flips now since a puck got loose in a letter i sent and didn’t make it to the trade. the coin flips seem to work better that way since they start so small on the ends going through the rollers. maybe if there was a way to make the pucks like that it would be better.

1 Like

I tried to make it so the lid stays closed but is still pretty easy to open. Last thing I want are seeds bouncing out or into another divided section. Hopefully when people test them they can let me know how it works for them

4 Likes

Haa, haa, haa! You know, after a looong time of wanting ‘lids’ for my pucks, when I finally got some to work with I realized the sticky-paper price tags I’ve always used work just fine! Plus seeds ‘stick’ slightly to the adhesive so don’t rattle around and are right there on the paper when you pull it off - no hunting on the floor or airborne launches! :joy: I still like the ‘idea’ of lids, but if I’m honest, the paper tags suit me and my sausage thumbs better!

3 Likes

Thanks for Uploading the puck files. Can you share the files for those trainers? Thank you.

1 Like

No problem! Here’s the two-piece:

And that one piece:

I chopped the bottom off of the second one in Tinkercad to print easier and I can share that file if you want to message me

4 Likes