Next Round: Space Candy, Tangilope, Wreckage -- fight!

Updates:

Come one, come all, and hear a whimsical tale about how I’m growing some pretty alright marijuana reefer plants. This time around, I’ve got clones of the Tangilope and Wreckage from my last round of flowering, and twin Space Candy sisters as featured in this thread where I almost murdered them. Good news, they’re doing better :grin:

Here’s the great big mess, 12 days in, featuring:

• Tangilope, back-left. Lives in a 5-gallon bucket, soil is primarily Ocean Forest, fed with General Organics nutrients.
  • Wreckage 1, back-right. 5-gallon bucket, 50/50 split of Happy Frog and Ocean Forest, fed with General Organics.
  • Wreckage 2, center. 5-gallon bucket, 50% Coast of Maine super soil, topped with Happy Frog, mulched with composted bark.
  • Space Candy sisters, lower left and right. 3.5-gallon buckets, 50% Coast of Maine super soil, topped with Happy Frog, mulched with composted bark.

First, a shot of the Space Candy, just because I’m glad it recovered from my springtime foolishness:

Both girls seem quite happy at this point. Topped once, no other training. Definitely indica-leaning in stature, despite the thin lobes in the above pic.

Now a comparison between Wreckage 1 (feeding with liquid nutrients)

… and Wreckage 2 (super soil, planning to topdress a couple times)

Not a drastic difference between the two right now, but the pistils on the bottle-fed plant seem a little thinner, and the super soil plant might need a dash of nitrogen… I’m debating.

That’s all for now, still pretty early. I expect the Tangilope and Wreckage to go 9 week again, sounds like 50-60 days for Space Candy. I’ll aim for intervals of 10 days for new pics, for those playing along at home waiting with bated breath.

11 Likes

I am on board and happy to be here!

3 Likes

Happy for you, they don’t even look resented or nothing…

2 Likes

Day 21:

The plants, they are growing and such. Tangilope at 9 o’clock, Wreckage in Super Soil at 2, Space Candy 2 at 5, Wreckage on the bottle at 7. Space Candy 1 defies time itself and sits in the middle.

Wreckage:

On the left, we have GO Box-fed Wreckage in Happy Frog. On the right, same plant in super soil. Super soil is most certainly winning in terms of flower development, but also seems to have some early nitrogen deficiency. Bottle-fed still looks entirely satisfactory :grin:

Tangilope:

Doing well! Last time around, I was amazed at how well things turned out, despite an early and intense nitrogen deficiency. I used Ocean Forest instead of Happy Frog for potting this time around, supplementary feeding with GO nutrients. Also, my low/high temps in the tent went from 55f/70f to 66f/77f – that might be helping a bit :slight_smile:

Last, the Creepy Space Candy Twins:

These two are either in a hurry to finish, or they’re just going to be beasts. Either way, I’m very okay with this. Creepy because I’ve never had 2 plants grown from seed that ended up being such creepy twins :cold_sweat: I’m hoping in the end that one will grow a goatee so I know which is the evil one. Anyway, have just been topdressing with a teaspoon of things from the organic gardening spice rack and keeping their mulch moist – they’re happy, I’m happy, hooray! Everyone’s a winner.

This post brought to you by: Marijuana. Marijuana: it makes you type words at the internet.

7 Likes

I remember day 21, it was an eternity ago. I thought the buds looked delicious, I was wrong. I though the plants had all the nitrogen the would ever need… I was wrong. As said upthread, I wanted to try the Tangilope again, knowing that it was a nitrogen hog in early flower last time around – this time, basically all of them are dropping leaves like they’re out of style. Oh, also completely spaced on introducing molasses into their diet until last week. Oops.

Anyway, it’ll probably be just fine in the end like the last time :sweat_smile:

Anyway, hey. Here are the girls at day 34:

The group:

… yeah they’re hungry. I’m still getting my green thumb back, leave me alone :grin:

Wreckage, bottle-fed on the left, super soil on the right.

Super soil is looking better in every possible way, bottle-fed looks okay,… but looked a lot better at 34 days with my spring grow. Think the bottle-fed needs a feeding boost, while the super soil could probably do with a fairly balanced npk tea.

… and a nicer shot of the super soil Wreckage, because it’s pirdy:

Creepy Space Candy twins aren’t twins anymore.

Space Candy 1:

Space Candy 2:

No. 1 is actually the chunkier of the two, though No. 2 is no midget. No. 2 also seems to be maturing a bit faster, and definitely wants to eat more. Not much difference in smell (which is fairly mild at the moment), and both are getting pretty sticky :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Day 42, wee quick update:

Bottle-fed Wreckage on left, super soil on right:

… pics are actually slightly misleading, as the buds on the super soil plant are noticeably larger than the bottle-fed girl.

Space Candy twins don’t even look related anymore. SC1 is making conical Christmas tree buds:

While the evil twin SC2 is a drippy, melty mess.

9 Likes

These are very pretty, well done!

1 Like

Why can’t you veg this well? Ha! Ha! Just joking! :grin:

1 Like

I know, right? :laughing: It’s not like these girls are in perfect shape by any means, but they’re plumping up, turning sticky-icky, and my house smells delicious with a hint of rotten… so could be a lot worse!

1 Like

very nice, a friend of mine just bought Space Candy seeds, can’t wait to try it.

1 Like

Day 49.

Hi hello good morning. Pour yourself some coffee because coffee makes morning tolerable. Oh also, here are some pics of my plants, what fun!

Wreckage, bottle-fed on left, Coast of Maine supersoil on right:

The bottle-fed girl caught up a little this week in terms of packing on weight, but supersoil is still fairly solidly in the lead in terms of girth and frost. That said, neither are as chunky or sparkly as my springtime grow, but neither were properly trained and I think the cool winter/spring temps helped quite a bit with trich production. The smoke is the important part, anyway, so we’ll see how they really are in a few weeks :wink:

Space Candy 1:

Going strong, chunking up, looks like it’s going to do some foxtailing. I’m okay with this :slight_smile: Teas from previous couple of weeks seem to have stabilized its eating of fan leaves, we’ll see how she finishes up!

Space Candy 2:

The bad news is that this girl ate through almost all of her fan leaves over the past couple of weeks :sweat: The good news is that she’s got some amber trichomes, so she doesn’t have to last for much longer, anyway. I’m still amazed at how different this plant ended up in the end: a little less chunky, yes, but underneath the melty purple mess there’s still solid bud structure. Again, smoke test is what matters, and I very much want to give these two a try.

7 Likes

those are some gorgeous colors and flowers! Was just discussing “Stonington Blend” with a friend last night, I"ll have to try it one of these days. I heard there are Agways in Maine and NH selling the bags for $25 each.

1 Like

My local Ace Hardware has it for $28/bag, so not that much of a city markup :slight_smile: I really like Stonington’s Blend, and will probably use it until I’m comfortable mixing my own soil. That said (and from my limited experience), it seems to have about 2 months of feeding built-in, and anything beyond that will probably need supplements (which I’ve been doing with teas and topdressing). There’s actually a Stonington’s Blend dry nutrient mix as well, which sounds to be for this very purpose… will give it a shot. Coast of Maine has yet to wrong me.

Anyway, I do like the beautiful fall foliage, but I’m pretty sure vibrant green leaves would be better for yield and quality :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve been using their Lobster Meal (6-2-0) fertilizer this summer, it’s outstanding. The complete blend is a little expensive. I’d like to see their products come in larger sizes to get the price down. Down to Earth has 50 pound bags of nutes, hopefully COM will offer this soon.

I disagree but that is another long debated topic. I think i get more flavors when i fade at the end but you are right, if i start fading early and can’t recover my yield and quality go down. I’m not stating facts just sharing my opinion. :grin:

1 Like

Day 57:

So I decided that late-flower would be fine to step away from my plants for a few days, so long as I give them a good drink beforehand. I should have given them a bigger drink :sweat_smile: RH dropped down to 30%, and pots were rather… light upon my return. On the plus side, I’ll probably be harvesting this whole hot mess over the next week.

Tangilope:

Chugging along. No foxtailing this time, unfortunately. Its smell overpowers everything else in the tent, but as it smells sweet, tart, and delicious, I can’t really complain.

Space Candy 1:

Oh, I wish this hadn’t gone crispy during my little vacation. I think it’ll be done within a week, but it’s still been slowly putting on weight and throwing out fresh white hairs.

Space Candy 2:

Good news, everyone. She’s ripe. I chopped about 2/3 of this plant after taking the above pics, can see the amber trichomes without even zooming. Sticky, sticky, sticky. This plant is made of glue, and trimming is slightly nightmarish :grin: I finally have a good sense of what it smells like: tropical pine-candy. Will find out how she smokes in a couple of days.

Wreckage, bottle-fed on left, supersoil on right:

The bottle-fed is the healthier of the two, but supersoil is a sticky mess and has more girth. Definitely my favorite bud of the moment, so glad that I’ve got two to harvest :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Woah i missed a lot! Looks fire dude.

2 Likes

looks like you’re fine, they got bigger over the last pics, they don’t take much water the last week or two of flower anyway.

Yes, traveling sucks, I held off on starting new seeds all month, thinking I would travel to see the eclipse, and then I didn’t go, so I could have started them. I don’t trust any of my friends to take care of the plants! I need to work on that and train someone.

1 Like

I’m thinking of giving Blumats a whirl in the not-too-distant future – my experience in getting friends to care for anything more complicated than a cat usually goes poorly.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words. Yup, they’re coming along, and I probably learned something so I can do better next time…? Oh well, for now, I’ll have nothing to comfort me other than several more mason jars of sticky nugs.

2 Likes

Do-da-dee-doo,

They’re all chopped. I didn’t take a lot of pictures in the end because my poor little plants looked like crap :grin: Also, by the time I was done chopping, I was too mad at them to want to take any more pictures.

Exceptions!

… the bottle-fed Wreckage decided to make a baby? Even after I chopped and trimmed, I didn’t see any boy-bits, so I’m curious as to how this happened. :thinking:

… and Space Candy 1:

She’s a good girl. Impressively chunky, considering the shape she was in when I put her into the flower tent. I cut most of it after 65 days of 12/12, and left the lower branches until 68 days. Looks like she was starting to foxtail a bit, wish I could have let the lower branches go longer :grin:

Summary of this round, in important executive bullet-point format:

• Random pruning is an awful training strategy. The Wreckage and Tangilope were vegged too long, and cut back repeatedly so they didn’t overtake the tent. Before flipping to 12/12, I did another round of pruning to get rid of any branches that would get too close to the lights. In the end, I had a hundred non-dominant branches with lollipop buds.
  • The yields on the supersoil Wreckage were slightly better than the bottle-fed, but the supersoil one looked like crap at the end :laughing: It was hard to tell if the supersoil plants ate through the available nitrogen too early, or if something else was going in the soil.
  • The Space Candy girls did quite well, considering they weren’t in the best of health when I moved them into the flower tent. I’m still shocked at how much they changed in flowering: SC1 definitely wins for yield and girth, but SC2 is a sticky, drippy mess of deliciousness. SC2 had a good amount of amber trichs at 56 days, while SC1 still had very few at 68 days.
6 Likes