Non-Machineable (Coin-Flip) postage is changing

As the post says coin-flip (non-machineable) letters postage has gone up or changing…

I’ve had multiple letters sent out that were returned due to lack of postage(costs more for non-machineable letters)

You will be required to use these stamps…

However I’ve had the majority of my letter delivered with no issues using normal US “Forever” stamps

Just a heads up things are changing!

Here are the stamps

Alaskagrown

21 Likes

Whenever I have recieved the butterfly stamps it’s like they machine them extra heavy just to be sure. Even writing Non-Machinable in bold on the outside and the butterfly stamp…

5 Likes

I didn’t even know these kinds of stamps existed I’ll keep an eye out

2 Likes

Maybe corrugated plastic would protect the seeds better than the coin wash if an envelope gets machined. I just sent seeds in corrugated plastic that was wrapped in part of a bubble mailer. I’d be pretty surprised if they get crushed

1 Like

You don’t need any bubble wrap, just put wooden dowels in the channels on both sides of the seed channels and they won’t get crushed. I have been using this method for 25 years without a problem.

15 Likes

That’s all I had on hand to protect them anymore than the plastic board would. But I wasn’t aware of this truck thank you for the tip

3 Likes

For reference I’ve sent out over 100+ letters in the last two months…I think only 5-6 have been returned due to lack of postage…

I’m good friend’s with my post man…passing on the info!

Just a heads up OG

Alaskagrown

9 Likes

Thank you for the heads up. Ive only had issues when I ship out to Canada, IDK why. Most of my letter get lost on the way, or they get sent back like a month or 2 later.

Also when I send out to the west coast, even with tracking, my envelopes get lost in some USPS facility out there. EVERYTIME
I get a tracking number and it makes it out to one facility and then goes MIA for a few weeks.

Finally with the last letter I sent out that had tracking on it, the person who found my letter told me what he thinks is the issue.

So when I go in and ask for tracking I am usaually sending out cash, and or a few seeds, so I use a smaller envelope.
The issue is where I place the address on it.
The employee is forced to place that giant tracking sticker barcode on the front, but he cant cover up the address, so I have seen them place 3/4 of it on the front under the address, and the bottom 1/4 folded over the bottom.

Apparently this cant be read by the scanners correctly and my letters get lost in limbo.
Now I make sure the person dosnt fold.that sticker over anymore and I havnt had an issue. As for Canada’s mail… I have no idea.

Anyway that was a bit off topic, but I hope it helps someone elae out there.
And thanks again for letting us know about the stamps. Ill check for those tomorrow at the post.

*Edit what you can ask that they do, is request one of those red and clear envelopes that they have behind the desk.
One of the last employees that didnt have room to place the entire sticker on the front pulled out one of those envelopes and slid my smaller one inside. Then he sealed it up and slapped the tracking sticker on the front. I forgot about those, but thats the way to go if you send out smaller envelopes that need a tracking number like I tend to do.

:v: :blush: :latin_cross: :heart:

4 Likes

I use one first class stamp for the USA 4 coin flips in a envelope Canada and Europe one international stamp same thing

Never had a letter returned,use my real address as well,just put them in the mailbox not the post office

2 Likes

Ive been using these for the last year. Way easier than figuring out machine surcharges and paying separately. The butterfly postge stamp plus the non-machinable ink stamp a few times and im sure they wont miss it. They got diff butterflies, but all non-machineable are butterflies.

Hairstreak and Dogface. Whose naming these things?

3 Likes

I need me one of those ink stamps!!

2 Likes

I have added the extra stamp for all envelopes with cards over one oz. Also if over .25" thick as they are Non Machinable.

The difference with the blue butterfly is it replaces having to use the regular + extra once. So the one stamp instead of two. Same price.

For use with square envelopes
used for irregular envelopes such as square greeting card, invitations or announcements.

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

Never understood nonmachinable, I’ve sent probally 200 seeds out and not one was damaged using a coin flip and washer, 1 stamp, no non-machinable.

If you get a stiff enough washer, the seeds will be fine.

3 Likes

I only add the extra once/non when I had so many flips it was…over an ounce.
:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

ive fit 3 flips in one envelope with 10 seeds per, 0.92 oz. that 4th one would def put me over but it could easily fit in a small greeting card.

i did not know that!

(i also tape my flips to the card so they dont accidentally overlap during transport.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.