North's 2022 Outdoor

Yep, always a concern for mold which is why I was careful about my photo selection. A few of them will finish in late September, one is slated for the end of the first week in October and the last one might stretch into the second week of October.

From my experience last year, I had some PM show up around the end of the first week in October on one of two plants. It was only a small amount near the bottom but hopefully I can beat it this year with my selection. Not only that, because of that experience last year I will be removing more of the lower branching. I have plans to set up a bamboo cage where I will shave a good amount of material on the bottom. Probably not as high as these examples for jay plantspeaker but similar.

The Snow G should be a real winner for outdoor as it was bred that way. Supposedly the same thing for the Star Pupil. Chimera is a pretty smart guy so I have high expectations for his Sour Diesel x Sweet Skunk cross and the Japhy plant should be done early enough to beat the PM.

Latitude is about 42 degrees I believe so pretty similar to north Cali or south Oregon climate.

12 Likes

Nice bambo cages :+1: wher i live if your plants go near October its lottery (46 lat) :yum: so as you just said right genetics is the key :upside_down_face: here some people use soda bicarbonate near the end of the cycle… it prevent mold to certain degree :smiley:

2 Likes

Ya man, definitely got to be careful. Last year I did sprays of micronized sulphur and I made some LAB and sprayed both of those up until about mid August (second or third wk of flower) Seemed to work out pretty well.

I already have a plan to establish some nice outdoor genetics for next years line up! It’s been fun to experiment.

4 Likes

I appreciate that man and mistakes are how we learn to be better growers… hell it’s how we become better people. I’m proud to fail, personally. No one’s perfect. How can you dial your shit in without a few setbacks along the way?!?

4 Likes

Smooth seas does not make good sailors. :+1:

5 Likes

I love it. I’m stealing this quote.

Since we’re talking about rough seas, I overwatered my watering mat and the plants stalled out a little bit but I’m not too worried. I knew it would take some dialing in. Once I get them outside in those pots they’ll shoot right up!

5 Likes

Some more fun updates. Since I realized I could have 4 more plants I obviously soaked a few more seeds this morning! I’m going to do one more auto, 1 photo and then 2 of my Goji OG clones!

For the auto I had to go with the much respected Crem de la Chem from Mephisto.

For the photo I have selected a new kid on the block but one that I am seriously very excited about! I don’t think there are too many grow reports on this one but I after reading the description, I have have very high hopes for the Afghan Lemon from Ace Seeds/Khalifa Genetics!

The Afghan Lemon is a highly refined and stabilized phenotype of Balkh Hashplant. This legendary Afghan Landrace has been used for hundreds of years for making some exquisite hashish.

It will delight growers with robust, easy-to-grow plants with resinous buds. When touching the flowers, the resin on your fingers leaves a strong lemony/hashy smell that lingers for several minutes. The taste is also a delicious blend of Lemon and old school Hash.

Unlike most lemony hybrids, the Afghan Lemon’s smell is fresh and natural. It is very different from that candy/chemical lemon scent that many California strains have. Its super smooth smoke quickly brings about a strong body stone effect. Although it is potent and long-lasting, the effect isn’t overwhelming but rather pleasant and relaxing.

The Balkh province is home to some of the best sieved hashish in the world such as the famous “Milk of Mazar” and the “Old Golden One”. The Afghan Lemon is therefore the cream of the crop. It is one of the best expressions of one of the best hash plants in the world!

After reading that I just had to pick up a pack.

Can’t wait to see how both of these grow out. The Afghan Lemon will be a month behind in veg but I think it will still produce a large plant with a bountiful harvest of hashy, lemony deliciousness!!

9 Likes

I have F2’s of these and both have been “dainty”… the first I thought was my failed up-potting (bad day and gravity happens) but this current one is 1/3 of the size in comparison to its 7x other sisters so I am very much looking forward to see what yours do!

That Afgan Lemon though… sounds like you’re gonna have people trying to find the Lemonaid stand smell emanating from a “secret garden” hidden in plain sight on a roof! :heart: :lemon:

3 Likes

fresh lemon hash…that sounds pretty nice :sunglasses:

yeah, I’m here for that Mendo… :+1:

2 Likes

hmm… ya maybe just some transplant stress. Well hopefully mine takes off a little better.

Oh hell yeah! I can’t wait.

Ya I’m excited for that one too!

Ok so it’s been a busy week!

The hardening off period was cut a bit short bc of the weather. I started taking them outside for some sunshine a few days in a row and then on the 3rd day when I was ready to transplant the weather was real shit for 24hrs. It was a good kick in the ass to remember to pay attention to the weather patterns when growing outside as it can really mess with your schedule. Here they are

A lot of different stages of growth on these ladies. Which is interesting to observe. The Sour D x Sweet Skunk, which will from now on be referred to as SDSS, is definitely the most vigorous. The Star Pupil was the runt of the litter.

For transplant day, I made an Alfalfa nutrient tea by taking a cup of alfalfa meal, sticking in my mesh brew bag and letting it sit in 5 gallons of water with 2 tbsp (60ml or 2 oz) of EM1 for 24hrs, stirring occasionally over that period.

I removed all the bottoms of the pots and dig a few inches down into my outdoor beds and placed the pots on top, filling in the edges and watering in the alfalfa tea.

IMG_4192

24 hrs later and most of the plants really took off. The autos didn’t skip a beat! Which was an encouraging thing to see! The Japhy and the SDSS are raging and all the other plants are looking really good too but those ones really hit the ground running.

I even put out my Goji #4 and #8 and they are cruising along nicely as well.

If you ever try this pot on pot method my observations are as follows:

• start training the roots to go down and bottom feeding in like week two or close to the start of week 3
  • the plants that have exposed roots at the bottom when you remove the bottom of the pot will take to the new beds very quickly!
  • the main takeaway is that the roots are going to take to the outdoor bed faster if they have already reached the bottom of the small pot and can make physical contact with the new bed immediately

This may seem obvious but I thought I’d just share my experience.

Some other things. I made a LAB serum and will use that as a foliar and soil drench in the veg stage. I attempted to make cheese with the separated milk solids and it worked but it kind of turned into ricotta. I was going for more of a fresh mozzarella style to try it on some pizza but it will tae a bit more practice. Cheese making is a whole other art in itself.

11 Likes

stunner! :open_mouth:

4 Likes

I knowwwww man. It ALREADY stinks too!! Stem rub is downright offensive… but like, in a good way. I’m so excited for this one!!

7 Likes

Outdoor run looking much better than my indoor atm.

The Japhy and SDXSS are really starting to get huge. Fan leaves are making me feel like I caught a time machine to the prehistoric times.

They got topped today.

The autos are coming alone nicely as well.

Mango Smile

Zkittlez

Wedding Cheese Cake

Snow G starting to gain some traction as well.

I’ve been keeping up with my weekly sprouted seed tea. I’ll blend sprouted alfalfa seeds with an alfalfa nutrient tea I make by adding 1 cup of alfalfa meal to 5 gallons of water and 2 tbsp’s of EM1. To that I add Ful-Power and ThermX 70.

I’ve also been doing a foliar spray of TM7, monosilicic acid and aloe once a week as well as my IPM regimen which consists of 1 weekly insecticidal soap foliar and 1 LAB foliar. I stagger the IPM sprays weekly. So one week insecticidal soap and the next week LABS. I also wait 3-4 days between my veg foliar and my IPM foliar.

I finished my fermented insect frass and will be incorporating that in with my weekly EWC teas or extracts. This stuff smells FOUL!!! Like, think of a dad fart. Then think if you got the top ten dad farts from around the world and bottled them all up together and buried that bottle in a musty cave underground for like 67 years and then smashed it open! I got that shit on my hands and my wife wouldn’t come near me for 24 hrs straight! Lol!! Shit is seriously stinky which makes sense because it’s poop water :+1:t3:

Wtf has my life become?!

Next up will be an alfalfa ferment. Why the heck not… I’m already down this rabbit hole. After that I intend of trying to figure out how to freeze dry sprouted seeds and ferment those for all their enzymatic magic! Oh and also I want to make a water soluble calcium supplement… Who am I kidding, I probably won’t stop there.

17 Likes

Love the log and the ammendment details! Thanks for posting

1 Like

gloves, man. gloves. they’re handy :grin:

please get your wife something very nice ASAP. you got off very light!

3 Likes

Giant fan leaves are so cool.

1 Like

The CDLC and Afghani Lemon have grown significantly and we’re transplanted out doors late last week. After my test run with the bottom feeding of the first round of plants I was better suited to set these plants up for success and it worked out beautifully! I started the bottom feeding on these plants after 7 days from sprout and by the beginning of week three the roots were popping out of the bottom of the fabric pots so I knew they were ready to plant outside.

I started their pots a week earlier the same way I did with the others. Planted some cover crop, covered with straw and inoculated with the Bokashi bran I made and watered in some microbes. At transplant they were fed with soil activator and aloe. I even had a small handful of sprouted alfalfa seeds that I blended up and put in the mix. I sprinkled some mycorrhiza on the soil, along with some fresh EWC, removed the bottoms of the pots and stuck them in place. Once down I watered a bit heavily to glue everything together.

I’ll post pics later of what they look like today. They haven’t skipped a beat!! Zero transplant shock. Those roots felt that rich soil and they exploded. It was so nice to see an experiment like this pay off. I’m really excited for both of those babies to grow out.

The rest of the garden is thriving also. Will post individual plant pics this wk at some point.

Noticed some strange stuff on the bottom leaves of the Star Pupil though in the last few weeks. Any ideas on what could cause this? I fed some heavy alfalfa nutrient teas so I have a feeling it was a bit too strong for the the star pupil.

Either way, new growth is looking :ok_hand:t3:

14 Likes

Here’s the CDLC and Afghan Lemon from today.

Been adding this fermented insect frass to my teas at the end of brewing lately. It’s been a welcome addition.

And this is my veg foliar dream team :muscle:t3:

12 Likes

The garden has really hit a stride in the last week with constant sunshine and steady temps.

It’s going to be a bit more difficult to move around in there soon once they start bushing out. It’s been really enjoyable to watch it come alive up there.

Biggest surprise for me is the Wedding Cheese Cake from Fast Buds. She literally exploded with growth in 8 days and has literally blown me away with the metamorphosis.

To refresh your memory, this was her last week:

This is her today:

The other big stretcher has been the Snow G. She’s busting out and really beefing up.

Everything is really just raging tbh…

The Autos, from left to right - WCC, Zkittlez, Mango Smile

Here’s some close ups:

Mango Smile, which I thought would have more stretch to her but I think she got stalled in the transplant process unfortunately:

Zkittlez:

WCC:

CDLC and Afghan Lemon are starting to beef up also, which is nice to see. This is CDLC below.

Getting some colourful visitors in the garden as well.

18 Likes

Just stumbled apon this thread been missing out awesome outdoor garden @NorthNorthNugs pulling up my chair :chair: for this one :v:

3 Likes