Not Just Another Tincture Thread

@GrouchyOldMan Sorry if this is a stupid question, they just happen to be my specialty, but what is the reason for keeping the jars in the freezer?

I make my tincs with grain alcohol in the freezer part of a frost free reefer/top freezer, but after it’s filtered I keep them at room temp.

All my tinc learnin’ is from internet savants, and a lot freeze the alcohol/weed before they mix them, or decant the stripped fluid in the freezer, I’ve even seen folks put their keif tumbler in the freezer.

I’m just curious to know if I’m missing the something behind all the freezing. I’ve never seen an explanation… of course I could have missed that, too, lol!

3 Likes

Fair question @HorseBadorites, I think the appeal really is that you can keep your extract cold throughout the process, especially those interminable hours of waiting while the dripity drop of filtering takes place. Cold filtering == brittle trichomes == better yield == higher potency tincture.

Somethin like that. TBH, who know if that final twist really matters?

2 Likes

Thanks, I do get that for quick washing, I wasn’t thinking about that :slight_smile:

I let mine sit in the freezer for at least a month, sometimes months, with a good shake whenever I remember. I figured the trics were pretty much stripped and dissolved by then. I actually let mine come to room temp before filtering because I thought it would flow easier…but whadda I know, lol?

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure you winterize to glob up the plant fats and waxes, so they don’t make it through the filter.

5 Likes

I’m about to get into making tincture for my niece, that’s one clever little tool! If anyone with a printer is making those I would be interested in a couple… please let me know :+1:
This is a great thread! Thanks to @ReikoX and @PSam so much great info here :pray:

3 Likes

Look here

This should help.

:green_heart: :seedling:

5 Likes

@ReikoX do you have a recipe for a subliminal tincture? I want to do one where I remove all the alcohol. Not sure what people use for the carrier liquid for the CBD or THC.

I have a sublingual recipe that uses vegetable glycerine and alcohol tincture. It’s very effective, but does still have a burn to it.

If you absolutely don’t want any alcohol, you can reduce it all the way and use MCT oil as a carrier. My mother is a fan of this type of tincture.

6 Likes

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use for cleaning up glassware used for tincture making?

I have dozens of dropper bottles that were used for small batches of tincture and I have tried everything I can think of to clean out the residue from the bottles and dropper glass: boiling, soap & water, vodka and a bottle brush, etc. Nothing worked.

I’d like to create a dropper bottle “Library” of tinctures from various strains, but it looks like anything that has stored tincture for more than a week or two is impossible to reuse. I hate to throw them away…

3 Likes

I’ve had decent luck cleaning the boiling flask I use to make RSO with a mixture of water, oil, lecithin and soap. It’s not perfect, but that’s more because of the shape of the flask than anything else; it’s pretty much impossible to get a brush in, so any friction has to be entirely from the “motion of the ocean.” I manage to get it mostly clean before every run, anyway. It works better than cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, which is what I was doing before.

3 Likes

I use this stuff called Dark Crystal Glass Clear to clean my old chazzed up dab bangers and hard to clean glass. You heat it up and let the glass sit for a while and it strips it clean. All natural Karanja oil based, might work :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I have had good luck cleaning my dropper bottles with rubbing alcohol. Fill it up, shake a bit, rinse with very hot water. Worked for me. Hope this is helpful!
Peace

3 Likes

@ReikoX I’ve been looking at that more and was reading my Jorge Cervantis encyclopedia, and came across the green dragon - really confused, as he doesn’t mention decarboxylisation? And I can’t spell either lol :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

I see the difference- this tincture is sitting for months to decarb. Actual decarb then Green dragon makes it usable immediately.

7 Likes

Yes that’s right. The Green Dragon will naturally decarb after a out 90 days in a cool, dark place.

8 Likes

I recently learned that concentrating a QWET tincture down too far can cause the entire volume of tincture to turn cloudy.

I saw this myself when I put a fan blowing over the top of a jar of Acapulco Gold tincture last week. The final, filtered tincture was a beautiful bronze color, the taste of the raw tincture was surprisingly sweet.

I intended to reduce the volume by more than half, in order to increase the potency significantly. Sampling showed that AG produced an interesting cerebral buzz, but was weaker than I prefer. I like a tincture potency that shows up with a 1ml dose, about two droppers full.

I saw that we were approaching the reduction I wanted so I turned the fan off to slow things down as I attended to a call. When I returned I found the entire tincture was an opaque brown, no visible sediment, just a bronze cloud.

I quizzed @ReikoX and he explained that it can happen with large evaporation concentrations.

I’m guessing that it is related to the water content interacting with the remaining alcohol. When I put a few ml of tincture in a shot glass and add a few drops of water it flashes into a creamy white instantly. Like Absinthe, Same effect?

Anyways, just thought it was interesting and wanted to share.

-Grouchy

5 Likes

@GrouchyOldMan I’ll see if my results match, I’m in the process of making some as well. Beautiful gold color like p. Lol.
I started with an oz and 16oz Vokda (was only 80 proof, so not the best, but all I can get in Cali-no good ever clear for us alki’s) :rofl::joy:. I have my double boiler ready to reduce to at least half, if not more. Going to get cloudy and murky I suspect. Just like RSO. Black gold bwuahaahahahh

8 Likes

Thanks a lot. I’m looking to add this process to my medicinal skills. Very detailed easy to follow tutorial :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Thanks again :peace_symbol:

@ReikoX this calculation is based on the fluid ounces at the start of the process correct?

Mine looks like this (I’m assuming only a 15% thc value as the flower is from a buddy and not the greatest quality, but good enough)

16 fluid ounces vodka and 28 grams weed

(.15 x 28,000 x .75)/473= 6.6 mg/ml.

Does that look right? I netted only about 7 FL oz ( I spilled an oz) of the finished GD.

9 Likes

i’ve been sitting on a bottle of everclear tincutre. Green dragon? so all i have to do is use a double boiler to reduce it to make RSO? or am i way off?

5 Likes