Not Just Another Tincture Thread

The heptane shouldn’t be a problem if it is properly purged into an oil. If you are making a tincture, however, then you wouldn’t want to use that product.

5 Likes

So, you’re saying the residual heptane shouldn’t be a problem if the end product is going to be vaporized/inhaled, but could be a problem if the end product will be eaten/ingested?

I’m basically wondering which of the three options is the “best” (least potential harm from unwanted or residual ingredients) for extraction for green dragon type stuff; 99.9% Isopropyl, Methyl Hydrate, or this 710 Extract stuff (95% ethanol with some N-Heptane added)? Again, after a “home quality” “purge” (evaporation with heat). Edit: (I.E.: because everclear type stuff is about $80-100 for 750mL, after shipping).

Assuming you completely purge it, I would lean toward the 710 extract stuff. Then if you want a tincture, add the purged oil to some 80 proof vodka or grain alcohol to make the tincture.

2 Likes

Ok. Thank you for your input, very much appreciated. I also hope some other people might chime in. That 710 extract isn’t too expensive (relatively).

I wonder if one could distill out the N-heptane (with ease. using equipment mentioned in this thread).

Lastly, I just need to identify and select the cheapest method to get to as close to Source Turbo results as I can, for less money. I doubt I’ll find something with the vacuum assist function though. So maybe just a cheap countertop still, with a voltage regulator, as mentioned already. I just can’t be spending high dollar amounts on quality alcohol to let it just evaporate into the air, I’ll absolutely have to have a plan and device to reclaim that pricey alcohol solvent.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Tinctures Win Again!!!

Just got home from 5 days of hell at the hospital (back surgery finally(?) ) and what do you know the “Pain Management” Doc fuck up on the Oxy they “demanded” I take at the corporate heath care bankrupt… I mean center, with the prescription and my chosen legal dealer decided not to fill it. Still had some of my tincture I made from some weed I got many moons ago (you know who you are - thanks) and started to use that.

Well you can guess what happened…Less pain with more actual movements and I can quit the “stool softeners” and not deal with the impending blocked up shit hole and just be normal… I Guess?

You know, I might not even call them and they will never know… well until my 4 week followup.

5 Likes

If you are ‘handy’ you might want to look into a column still.
Mine produces 95% @ $2.50/L.

There’s a thread around here that goes into it a bit…

Cheers
G

4 Likes

You guys ever hear of this one:

EDIT: I wanted to mention, it looks like the “bottom” of their container the same as the bottom of these “counter top” stills. Check it out in their video, about 6:30 timestamp or later. Looks like a “vevor” type unit base, haha.

1 Like

I’m handy enough, but the getting my hands on the materials and parts for diy things (and the cost of getting them if available) is the part that almost always makes it…barely worth it, if possible. I’ll check out that thread though. 95%! And at $2.50/L (usd I assume), that’s great.

2 Likes

A pricier way is just to go shopping at Mile Hi Distilling :vulcan_salute:

Too rich for my blood…

Cheers
G

3 Likes

@ReikoX

I’d like to ask questions about your source turbo, if that’s ok?

-How long have you had your source turbo for now?
-And any issues to report yet; failures, warranty, parts replaced?
-Have you taken it apart at all to look at stuff? Just curious. Been looking at diy.
-Does it show any signs of slowing down, breaking down, or performance getting worse?
-What are the biggest drawbacks of the 300mL (I think) container size; I mean, how much oil (in terms that make sense to you) could one produce in a “day”, or how much flower could be processed in a day (One could use a concentrate like bubble hash too I suppose?).

I’m wondering about an average or medium sized medical grow patient use for this product. Processing nearly whole harvest using this method (doesn’t like to smoke/inhale).
I see that container size and speed/time are the biggest limits to how much can be processed. How would one best go about processing, say, 16oz of flower, most efficiently ? (Examples I’m thinking of; would you use the same alcohol to wash multiple oz of flower? Etc.)

2 Likes

“…add a little water and run it through the machine.” Add a little water? You’re adding water to what now, and why?

2 Likes

Got it on 4/20/2018.

Yes, I had a failure after the first year or so. Customer service took care of it, payed for the shipping and were super quick with the repair.

No, don’t want to void the warranty.

Other than the one failure, it is still working as good as when I bought it.

The typical cycle is two hours. One could probably do 4-5 batches in a “day”.

That’s an awful lot to do at one time with the source. My typical batch of Green Dragon uses an 1/8 oz. If it were me, I would do an ounce batch, reclaim the alcohol, then do another batch.

After I filter the alcohol I add a little water (about a tablespoon or so) to the remaining cannabis and run it through the machine. This will cause the little alcohol to be reclaimed, but the water to remain. I usually do the same with the filters that still have some alcohol in them.

9 Likes

Ok. Yea, it is a lot for a machine that size. Not all at one time, but say over a weekend or something like that.

I get it now.

Thanks for the prompt, concise answers.

Another question; Do you think the crucible could be lined with a silicone container, or parchment - or something? That way the distilling could be pushed a little further without having to worry about the difficulty of getting the thicker oil out of the crucible.

Doesn’t having to remove the solution before it’s fully purged of alcohol, then having to put it on a heat source (hotter than that of the ST) is counter productive?
They/it is suggested that you can remove while still liquid enough to flow, and use another vacuum chamber with heat to purge the rest. Hah, I don’t want to buy an additional $400-600 setup just to get the last bit of alcohol out that the source wouldn’t do.

Edit: I’ve been wondering if a multiple washes of different cannabis using the same alcohol would increast the concentration of cannabinoids in the alcohol, thus being able to get more done (more oil out) with a single run (same amount of alcohol, but washing, for example 2 or 3oz cannabis with the 300mL alcohol). I know of this working (with coconut oil, for eg.) but I don’t know what the point of diminishing returns is (where the alcohol can’t hold anymore cannabinoids).

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Yes, you probably could. That being said, it’s made of a non-stick material. When it’s warm, you can easily pour the thicker oil out using a rubber spatula to get the remaining out of the bottom.

I do this, but just let it evaporate in a Pyrex pan. I lose about 10% of the alcohol doing this.

You can definitely do this, it would take a whole lot to fully saturate the alcohol.

5 Likes

sort of related to your thread - I know you have a green dragon & roots cream recipe above (bookmarked) but I was wondering if you ever use fan leaves (from male or female) for topicals as well or is there really no great case for it?

2 Likes

I think the best use for fan leaves would be juicing. I usually don’t bother, and just compost everything. I rarely even bother with trim anymore.

5 Likes

Bingo, this is exactly where I am in the discovery process…
hot, under the tongue… ie: dragon’s breath spray
Thanks @ReikoX

3 Likes

I had to stop all meds , My stools were to dang hard
Ripped me butt Good.

Hey @ReikoX I’m in the process of making another tincture following your recipe, but for an oz at a time. Was getting out this “Mighty Fast Herbal Infuser” out I got gifted to make my first ever butter with and while looking through the manual found it does alcohol tinctures as well.

Any thoughts on the process? Would final product be anywhere near the same quality? Or is this product more for butter/oils?

3 Likes

Looks like this is more for butters & oils. If you heat the bud and alcohol together for 4 hours, I believe you’re gonna end up with something closer to RSO/FECO - including the waxes and resins. You could put it in the freezer afterwards to let them precipitate out of the solution, but it’s not gonna get everything out. With oil, you’re not gonna pull the waxes and resins in the first place, but you’re also not gonna pull as much of the THC as you could with an alcohol extraction.

Then again, I could be wrong. I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around using 151 proof alcohol rather than 190 to avoid boiling. As far as I know, 151 proof is just ethanol diluted with more water than 190 proof; the alcohol would boil off first at the boiling point of ethanol regardless, if this thing gets hot enough to boil ethanol. There’s more ethanol in 190 proof than 151, so it would take longer for the ethanol to fully boil off with 190, but either way it seems like you should end up with buds in water, with a skim of oil floating on top. Maybe I should have left this to @ReikoX after all. :stuck_out_tongue: Or maybe I’m just confusing their use of the term ‘evaporate’ with boiling here…

3 Likes