Not Just Another Tincture Thread

I think that tinctures are going to be my next novel cannabis project.

I have had poor experiences with traditional edibles, having taken arpund 900 mg of thc in the oil timctures they sell in the weed stores here in canada. I have had some successes but think its very dependent on my having a proper sized meal with it and enough of an ability to digest it. I have noticed it can take 3 or even 4 hours till i feel doses of edibles, so will do more experiments.

Should also say my tolerance is pretty huge, so making my own tinctures from outdoor and trim will be fun and affordable.

@ReikoX how many times would you say that everclear could be reused? If i do and extraction with an ounce, can i use that same everclear to extract another 2 or 3 ounces of dried weed?

2 Likes

To be honest, I’m not sure. I Stick to the ratios in this thread, but distill my alcohol, so I re-use about 90% of it. If you want to do a lot, I would do some dry ice hash or equivalent, and extract the resulting trichomes in alcohol.

2 Likes

Hmm, that makes sense. I am a addict, so cannot have a still or readily available alcohol around like that. It would hinestly all be done by my instruction at my brothers house. Then reduced to a rso consistency.

Maybe i will take 5 ounces from outside this year and do a 4 part extraction and compare it to a 1 part extraction. :thinking: wonder what the saturation point wpuld be, or could i just keep extracting and top up anything lost to evaporation and such.

2 Likes

Quick question: If I make a batch, do I have to winterize to create a sleep aid, or just filter it? I assume if you’re making a rub for the skin, you don’t need to winterize. So, my question is: when do you need to winterize and when do you not need to? I am using a Source Turbo.

For the sleep aid, I have cannabis that has been stored for a year. For the skin cream, I decarbed them and processed them through the Source Turbo.

Thanks, and sorry for the newbie question. Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

You don’t ever have to winterize it. I like to winterize it before using it in hard candies. The waxes and lipids don’t mix well with the chard candy. Or if you are going to make carts, you would also benefit from winterizing it.

Otherwise, it’s not really needed for tropicals.

4 Likes

Greetings Tincture Fans,
Here’s something new that I thought would be interesting to this crowd. Posted elsewhere by @invisible describing a quicker way to make RSO.

7 Likes

Hope you find it useful :slight_smile:

The time it takes to make RSO now has been drastically reduced

1 Like

How do you set up the double boiler? Is that just a towel in a rice cooker? Do you wet the towel or do you use a dry towel?

There are numerous ways to set up a double boiler. The easiest way is to use an actual double boiler. Fill the lower pan and put your tincture in the upper one to evaporate. Another way is to fit a smaller pan into a larger pan full of water. Or, as I like to do, use a rice cooker and a canning jar.

Yes I put a wet washcloth on the bottom of the rice cooker. This prevents the bubbles from knocking the jar around and spilling the tincture as it boils.

6 Likes

So i did the first shake for 5 mins then i sat the jar in the freezer for 2 hours but then i fell asleep and it has been in the freezer for way over 2 hours. More like a day. Can i still continue with the rest of the steps without any issues? @ReikoX

3 Likes

Yeah, worst case it’s a bit more green than it would be otherwise.

4 Likes

Ready for reduction!

9 Likes

What is all the sandy scum?

2 Likes

Lipids, waxes, and empty trichome husks mostly.

6 Likes

Good Discussion.
Thx.

2 Likes

Good thing my gpop didnt see it! He woulda tried to smoke it😂

21grams to 18 oz alcohol reduced down to rso. I noticed golden crystals like chunks on the glass. Is this contamination?

4 Likes

Most likely THC or THCa crystals nucleating out of solution as the fluid is reduced.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Who here has tried acidic cannabinoids?

Anyone with any sort of anxiety or nausea should try them!

Why is cbda so powerful for anxiety and nausea? We don’t know why but it’s been theorized by Raphael Mechoulam RIP that we make a endocannabinoid identical in structure to cbda.

Making a cbda/THCa, or cbga tincture is very simple. Fill jar with cannabis add carrier oil MCT is my preferred. Cook at 167 for 3 to 3.5 hours.

1 Like

I’ve mentioned it previously in this thread, but my 1:1 THCA:CBDA is a rescue medication. I’ve used it to stop panic attacks in their tracks.

5 Likes