Not Just Another Tincture Thread

This is to minimize chlorophyll pickup. The chlorophyll will give a bitter taste to hard candies IME.

5 Likes

Evapped the alcohol off of a small batch to get the oil. This was 5 grams of bud, trim, and kief I scraped up after trimming. Washed in 2 oz everclear for about 5 min. Then I threw that material in w another batch of gd I’m making for gummies. I tried a small amount of the oil on top of a bowl, but didnt try it in my dab pen as I gave it away to someone who needed it for meds. Seemed plenty strong, didnt get a sense for how the terps came thru after the extraction.

@ReikoX - your technique, you do the initial wash, pour it off and do a second wash, combine the 2 liquids and then evap. If I wasnt concerned about it coming out green- am I leaving a lot behind if I’d do just one long wash/soak? For example, the last time I made a batch I used the full amount of alcohol for the 2 washes, but left it soak in the deep freeze for a week. You think by doing that I’m leaving a lot behind? I’m trying to strike a balance between maximum extraction with least amount of wasted alcohol. If that reclaim apparatus you posted wasnt so much $$ I’d pick that up in a heartbeat!! Of all the stuff ive given to folks to try, everyone wants the gummies! So trying to figure out my best technique to start honing in on so I can scale up a little bit and not have to make so many small batches all the time.

5 Likes

Gummies are fun to make. If you are using Jello packs for the gummy base use the regular ones not the sugar free (sugar free sweat later and aren’t as nice).

Cheers
G

2 Likes

IME, letting it sit for a week will pick up a lot more water soluble (chlorophyll) stuff and not much more THC. The second was is basically a rinse.

3 Likes

Makes sense, much appreciated.

2 Likes

The Clock says 4:20 :thinking: :grin:

3 Likes

Yep, that was not an accident. :grin:

3 Likes

Amazing post @ReikoX - very informative! I have been making salves and ointments for awhile, but reading that post, and the rest of this thread has upped my game. Thanks so much!

4 Likes

@ReikoX, I downloaded your GD cook book and thanks for putting it together. One thing I noticed missing from the ebook but in your thread is,

“ Potency can be estimated fairly accurately using the following formula:
(THC% * mg efficiency)/ml = mg/ml*

For example, let’s assume that the flower potency used in the basic recipe is about 20% THC. We used 7 grams in the recipe which is equal to 7000 mg. The extraction efficiency with this method is approximately 75%, and the total volume is about 60 ml (2 oz.):
(0.2 * 7000 mg * 0.75)/60 ml = 17.5 mg/ml.

This information is crucial to understanding the potency of your GD and going forward, with the dosing, any of the recipes.
Again, great information, just my $0.02 :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

That and a few recipes like the chex mix and citric acid extraction. That last one may not even be in this thread… :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I have no math skill :frowning:

so I use this

https://wakeandbake.co/thc-dosage-calculator/

make capsules with MCT oil

be safe and stay free

Dequilo

8 Likes

Well, it doesnt seem to take into account the efficiency of the extraction (0.75 in my estimate) and using less than a cup appears to be some kind of bug (entered 0.25)

4 Likes

thank for you insight :slight_smile: I sadly did not look hard and for my shoddy method

it works good enough

your thread is outstanding

thanks agin

Dequilo

4 Likes

I just opened a jar of WW from 2006, yes 2006 for my GD and the buds are still sticky. Using 10 grams for the first batch. Should be interesting.

6 Likes

where would this be

1 Like

Two questions, do you have to keep the tincture in the frezer once it is made? (Everclear extract)
And…does anyone evaporate some ever clear off after making to increase strength?

5 Likes

Mine goes into a corked whiskey bottle under the sink. :laughing:

You can reduce the tincture by evaporating the alcohol off and that gives you RSO (Rick Simpson Oil)

Cheers
G

5 Likes

I keep my inactive (THCA/CBDA) tincture in the refrigerator. If you read the section on natural decarboxylation, you will see that the alcohol will decarb at room temperatures over about 90 days.

If you read the recipe, the last step is to reduce the tincture down to 2 oz to increase potency.

6 Likes

Used 4 oz. frozen EC to 10g bud for the first shake. Shaken not stirred! Back in the freezer for two hours. Shake another 5 min.

Pour through cheese cloth

Add another 3 oz. EC, shake 5 min.

Pour last of EC mixture off.

Filter that through a coffee filter to get this. Made 5 oz to be reduced to 2 oz.

Today, sweat the alcohol out

360ml down to 60ml, took about 40 minutes.

Cool and refrigerate. :thinking: what can I make with it…!

11 Likes

Nice color there…

2 Likes