Not Just Another Tincture Thread

I’ve made tinctures with hash in the past. I don’t think the freezer is necessary with hash, because there is no chlorophyll in it. That depends on the quality of hash I guess.

The only reason I see to let it sit for months is if you didn’t decarb the hash. Then it would take about 90 days sitting in the alcohol before the THCA converts to THC.

If it were me, I would decarb the bubble hash, then add about 30 ml of room temperature alcohol per gram of hash. Let that soak for about two hours, then strain. I would probably winterize it as well, depending on what I want to use it for.

11 Likes

Quick question for you all.

I made a tincture for my dad who’s about to undergo chemo. I’m using MCT oil but I know he won’t like the taste or be too good at taking it sublingually. Can I just put the oil into caps and have him swallow them for the same effect? That would mean it would just be processed by the liver instead of going into his bloodstream, correct? Am I to assume that the effects would be similar but would just take longer to kick in?

I’m really trying to make my way through this thread! It’s a powerhouse of info!! Thank you all.

9 Likes

Yes, you absolutely can just cap it. Yes, it will pass through the liver that way, should still help with the side effects of chemo regardless.

7 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed the green dragon tincture recipe that @ReikoX posted here, but have been curious to try other methods that can get me the higher potency, without having to boil off extra alcohol. I predominantly use my already vaped weed as my decarbed bud, and find that it really is necessary to do the boil off, to get the potency where i wanted, but recently tried another method, and wanted to share for those that may be interested in a lazier solution without the need for the double boiler.

I started with my decarbed weed, and poured over alcohol in a ball jar until it filled just over the weed. I did my shaking for five minutes, and then let sit for a day. The following day, the decarbed weed had condensed itself, leaving more room in the liquid available. I added in additional decarbed weed until it reached the level of liquid, shook for five minutes, let sit for a day, and then repeated this a third time. After the third time, I strained out the weed from the alcohol, and then ran through a coffee filter. I found this product to be very strong, where one dropper did the trick, and I didn’t need to condense it any further. Ultimately, this is a less clean product as I did not leverage the freezer, so there is more chlorophyll in it, but I think it overall saves me some high proof alcohol, which I have to have shipped from Colorado, as we cannot purchase directly in California.

5 Likes

I wonder if they ship to Michigan? They last I bought had to be shipped to Ohio. I met up when he came to MI to visit the kid in college.

:green_heart::seedling:

2 Likes

I have been buying from 420 extractor and it looks like they don’t ship to Michigan without a permit: Shipping Policy | 42O Extractor

The 420 extractor is a big step up from my first tincture days of using Goslings Bermuda Black Rum which is 151 proof. It was the only 151 proof liquor I could find in stores. Mixed with bud and that was some funkyyyyy stuff.

3 Likes

Bummer, yes you can’t get Everclear 190 here. The highest is 151.

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

After making Everclear tincs for 5 or 6 years, I thought we couldn’t 190 proof here. I used to go get it from a neighboring state. The other day I was in a new liquor store out in the county, and there it was :slight_smile: Apparently not every one carries it, but I know where now!

3 Likes

While I can get Everclear, I usually pick up something Stronger. (AND Cheaper) for my tinctures.

10 Likes

Yeah…
That will curl your toe hair…
:+1: :rofl:

Cheers
G

5 Likes

What I’m curious about @ReikoX all the times I’ve made RSO (I think that’s what I’ve made) it’s always come out black like tar. I’d like to get that beautiful golden look, but seems unatainable.

I use my Magic Butter machine to make the alcohol tincture, then reduce it down to just oil, but always dark.

Is this just how it goes, or is there something I’m not doing right?

I’ve never tried your Green Dragon method, might need to give that a try. Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas and reading materials :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It will almost always come out dark once you reduce it to RSO. If you did a real short wash, like 15-30 seconds you could get something that is a light amber color for dabbing.

Edit: Usually RSO is medicinal you actually wants those non-psychoactive compounds that make it darker.

9 Likes

Yes, I’m looking to make stuff to use in my honey badger rig, and I’m just getting back into this and unfortunately don’t have a press anymore.

Is the green dragon able to make dabbable stuff? Other issue, I cant get 190 proof alcohol, and would need to heat reduce it anyway, so wouldn’t that always just be RSO?

2 Likes

You most certainly can dab it, but it’s not as good as the rosin IME. If you go this route, I definitely advise you winterize the tincture first.

The problem is ethanol is a polar solvent, so while it dissolves the trichomes and the THC, it also pulls in the water soluble compounds, mainly chlorophyll.

Yeah, the water content on lower proof alcohol is pretty high. It will be more likely to pull those water soluble compounds.

4 Likes

Would it be more logical to make bubble ice water hash etc. and then melt it down?

3 Likes

You definitely can make it from bubble hash. If the starting material is pretty clean you could get a nice product that way. Again I would winterize it for dabbing.

4 Likes

Thanks for the thoughtful replies! :+1::v:

I’ll have to try this all over again with my next grow

3 Likes

Greetings Tincture Fans,

Here’s a cool gizmo that allows you to pour extract from a freezing jar with herb & alcohol, into a cold second jar with a filter in between. Sort of two plastic lids as a two jar coupler. Load a fresh filter, attach the jars, turn it upside down in the freezer and go roll a fatty while you wait out the drip drop.

It is delivered as a downloadable file for anyone with a 3-D printer.

https://www.printables.com/model/188867

I’m going to hit up my 3D buddies to see if I can get my hands on one of these useful hacks. @Bobgrows ? @Nagel420 ?

-Grouchy

12 Likes

Very possible! I’ll let you know for sure in a bit.

2 Likes

Click that link to the download for lots more pics and a much better explanation that I’ve offered…

2 Likes