Not Just Another Tincture Thread

“Culinary solvent” also gets you around the alcohol tax, right?

I don’t think I paid any other than state tax. It was a while now since I bought it.

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

Is it the 180 proof? I’m pretty sure the everclear brand also makes a 140 proof.

1 Like

Everclear makes 3 or 4 different proofs think 190 is only available in the US might be wrong about us part though.

Or…do like me, and get buddy-buddy with the owner of your local small time liquor store. Then see what kinda deal he can cut ya on a case of handles. :wink:

5 Likes

We have 150 in all the ABC stores.

This is from Wikipedia:
Everclear is a brand name of rectified spirit (also known as grain alcohol and neutral spirit) produced by the American company Luxco (formerly known as the David Sherman Corporation). It is made from grain[2] and is bottled at 60%, 75.5%, 94.5% and 95% alcohol by volume (120, 151, 189, and 190 U.S. proof respectively).[3] Due to its market prevalence and high alcohol content, the product has become iconic with a “notorious reputation” in popular culture.[4][5] Sale of the 190-proof variant is prohibited in some states, which led Luxco to start selling the 189-proof version.[6][7]

I’d say 189 would work, lol!

4 Likes

I buy 1 liter bottles of 190 proof Everclear in New York state. They sell it in all of the liquor stores there, wherever I’ve looked for it. They don’t sell it in Virginia, which – like North Carolina – has state-managed ABC stores.

1 Like

No shit?! I just learned something haha.

5 Likes

We don’t have ABC in Michigan. Any corner store has it. You can get 150, just not 190

1 Like

After its all evap’d I put it in the oven with one end raised up and add my carrier oil “avocado oil” how ever much I need to thin it out a little usually 1/2 tsp. I infuse that at 205 degrees for 20-25 mins. Suck it up in a 10ML syringe.

€35 incl tax for 96.2% ABV per liter, homemade by the liquor store, The Hague, Netherlands

1 Like

Ok. So that’s about $50 cad for a liter. Which is about the same insanely high price we pay here.
Thanks.

Thank you buckets @invisible
Can confirm, better product, shitload of time saved, with an aeropress :v::sunglasses:
What a cool device

2 Likes

High in excise duties.Its even getting higher for alcohol and tobacco next year.

@ReikoX I have friends with Parkinson’s. I’ve read that THCA may benefit them. From what I understand, THCA turns to THC when decarbed, ie aging, heating or burning.

I decarb weed I use for tinctures in the oven, and most is pretty well aged, but, I’m wondering if fresh weed in grain alcohol would keep the THCA, or does the alcohol decarb it?

I have weed I can experiment with, just wanted to know if you know anything that might be helpful?

Thanks for anything.

5 Likes

some random thoughts

Fresh frozen bud and then a quick wash? (no decarb)
AFAIK alcohol doesn’t decarb.
You will want a low temperature evaporation to preserve the THCa.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I’ve never done the quick wash @Gpaw . I normally put 2 zips of dried and decarbed in a quart jar with 500ml of grain alcohol, then stick that in the freezer. I shake it every time I remember. Sometimes it’s in the freezer for a month or more. I don’t evaporate, just strain and use it straight. What’s the evaporation for?

2 Likes

Just skip the decarb and you will get a THCA tincture. If you kept that in a cupboard for about 90 days it will decarb naturally, but keeping it in the freezer, it will not.

6 Likes

You do a full spectrum Green Dragon… same here… :laughing: :vulcan_salute:
I’m lazy, so I use a Magic Butter machine but the results are the same.

Some folks have an issue with grain alcohol and want to change the base or make RSO.

Cheers
G

3 Likes