Nute burn or deficiency?

I’m thinking the top of the canopy was hitting 90, cause my other plant which is a little shorter was affected as much. Mid canopy was reading 87.

Scrap the plants? I think that’d be a huge waste of time. Going to see if things improve over the next week or two.

Temps were hitting 90 I believe at the top of the canopy. I have a shorter plant right next to it of the same variety and it was affected way less.

I fed with recharge in case it was pH. Going to see if things improve over the next week or two after I dropped the temps back into the high 70’s

no not scrap the plants, i meant clean the medium by flushing enough to remove old ferts and clean some possible bud rot. At high temps, with a massive root system since you vegged for long, i suspect root issues and/or overfeeding. Magnesium is a mobile element hence its deficiency appears on lower older leaves first.

I’ve had temps over 100 before and no stress. I had this exact problem in dwc. I’m telling you check the pH and get the calmag ready. If it keeps going you’ll see the stems start to turn purple. I read you fed with recharge in case it was pH, have you actually checked the pH? If not stop guessing and check it.

2 Likes

I’ve never checked pH. I’m in 25 gallon no till pots. I was running autos in 7-10 gallons prior and never pH’d for the past year and a half. I feed recharge weekly usually. I lowered the temps, fed recharge and the cupping and frying of the tips has ceased. Going to foliar some kelp I think.

A flush just isn’t possible with my set up in 25 gallon pots. The plants look a bit happier today after lowering the temps. The only feed the plants are getting are top dresses weekly of craft blend and kelp watered in.

I’d still check just up know for sure. Could alert you to a potential problem that’s just starting. pH and magnesium caused my issue that looked exactly like yours. pH had mag locked out

You can turn this around. Raise lights, feed 1/4 str. Grown for 15yrs, never bothered with ph. I let water sit uncapped for days and works just fine. No till could have issues getting hot creating it’s own ph issues.
Water in some hydrated lime and tbsp of epsom salts.
Hold the back of your hand towards light above your canopy, does it burn u?
U can get this turned around bro…

4 Likes

Thanks for tips dude. I’ve turned around many issues so far so I think I can salvage this as well.

What’s the hydrated lime for? pH buffering? and the epsom for magnesium right?

I got the heat issue fixed. My temp sensor was sitting outside of my temp reading 82, when in reality canopy was probably close to 90.

1 Like

I’d like to know if it’s restricted to top growth can’t see much of the lowers … if so I’d pin it as an in mobile nutrient since it looks like top growth effected ,could be a micronutrient IMO if ya have EWC you could top dress or make a tea really quick and you should be able to see it turn around in about 3-5 days .

How far along are these plants?

These plants are about 2 months into veg. They were doing beautifully up until about a week ago. The burned tips and weird growth is restricted to the tops.

I fed a tea a few days ago and fed recharge as well in case it was a ph issue. I think the high temps made it worse. They’re looking a bit better today. I’ll take some more pics later

1 Like

Yea that’s a bit too warm… if you can keep it 75F and sunny 50% RH with a slight breeze they will love you.

Make sure you water em in real good too… nice and moist but no standing water.

I can see my plants doing a bit of that when I forget to add feather meal to my mix.
Feather meal takes a while to start releasing the N in it. So IMHO, as the N values drop from other sources, that is about when feather meal takes over, to keep N in supply to drive P and K where they belong.
The Dr.Earth products, I add at mix time, Neem Seed Meal, Bio Alive, Acid Mix, Oyster Shell, Feather Meal, Kelp, Bat Guano, Langbeinite (ground finer, for quicker release), Green sand, Azomite.
I like to have a couple/few of N values, as they drop off at different times, feather meal takes about 2 months to start to release, helping P and K.
Just my $.02

2 Likes

Hydrated lime is super fine and will be available immediately to the plant, and yes, epsom salt is MAG… easy organic fixes bro.

1 Like

Here’s some better shots of the plant. Since I posted, they were fed a compost tea, recharge and epsom foliar. The burning tips and weird growth has stopped. The epsom foliar was 3 days ago, think I should do another foliar?

3 Likes

The yellow on the edges of newer growth looks like a lack of immobile nutrients, likely from a ph issue. The nutrient is available but the ph or something else is out of balance and it can be absorbed. The foliar feeding may have helped since it delivered some of it where it’s needed, but won’t help in the long run. Again, without testing ph or something, you’re chasing your tail with the problem.

3 Likes

I’d think your size of pots would help tremendously being organic I have a hard time imagining it’s ph related but that’s just me like stated in the first post or so may be it just didn’t get re amended enough for the size of the pot it happened to me this summer with using some older soil then again these strains just may be some heavy feeders

1 Like