Octopot Grow System

I flood and drain , 2-3 clones per 15L crate , and flip to flower after 3-7 day veg , don’t really see octos being much different apart from the fabric bag to maybe concider

1 Like

Yeah, smaller tank but same bag size. Doesn’t really seem it would affect plant size, only increase the frequency of refilling the tank.

I’ve cruised through some of your threads and seen some of the monsters you grow in your octopots. That said, I’m not overly concerned with yield. I already pull down more than I personally consume.

Is this speaking from experience? How quickly do 2-3 plants drain the 6 gal tank in veg/flower?

1 Like

How quickly Rez empties depends on a few things , it’s due to plant mass as one of them

Number of plants is irrelevant , plant mass dictates

5 Likes

So clones versus from seed may present more challenge due to plant maturity. 3-7 day veg is less doable when the plant is only 3 weeks old.

Also the length of time needed for roots to reach the tank is around 7-14 days, based on manufacturer and reports presented by people actually running octopots.

1 Like

What size pot would you think? I got the below going on a 3 gall.I like the idea of simplifying further.

@SmackyMcSmackers hook up an auto refill system. makes things simpler.

5 Likes

I’ve thought about that. That would be great for plants that run about the same flower time and aren’t super picky about ec/extra calcium/etc. But the challenge is that I often run plants with different feed preferences and flowering times.

I suppose running multiple reservoirs to a few 1-2 plant auto-fill systems could be an option but that seems it would add complexity just for complexity’s sake, not to mention the extra space all the reservoirs would take.

I’ll have to see how a run goes in the 6gal octopots with 6gal bags and go from there.

1 Like

I believe this is an open question. And I’m only referring to the micro octopots.

I use three gallon bags that are about 10" high with great results. I seem to get fully developed root systems in the pot and in the soil. I think that is the secret of Chris’ Octopot system.

I tend to keep my reservoir levels on the low end so only the lowest two inches of soil are damp. That ensures that the top inch or so of soil near the trunk is dry to the touch. Would it be better if the top 6 inches were dry? Dunno.

Jus my $0.02,
-Grouchy :v: :green_heart:

5 Likes

@GrouchyOldMan I’m starting to think the pot’s size importance is questionable.

Half gallon sleeves

Plants on left are also half gallon sleeves. I’m kinda wondering about their size if I had let them Veg ad long as the plant o ma the right did. 62 vs 30-ish day Veg.

I run them with ~2L level.

Dunno, food for thought. I’m thinking osmocote and plain water next run. For funsies.

6 Likes

F’ing Amazing plants in those little buckets! Outstanding work.

I forget what you told me about your experiment with the taller pots in our micro pots. Was there any noticeable difference?

2 Likes

I do like the 3 gal tall bags for the octo- pups

I let one of the mac sisters veg longer and she did get big

this one is smaller of the 3

10 Likes

Did you notice whether the roots fill the entire pot at harvest Paps?

2 Likes

Good root development in the res but the bag was full of roots

2 Likes

no not really. it’s whats persuading me on the “super importance” of pot size. decent amount in water but like Paps says, bag was full of roots. in the half gallons, roots are similar to the larger plants. dunno. if I were more committed, I’d try @Syn s air stone but it goes against what I am trying to do with my laissez faire inspirations.

Happy summer solstice.

:green_heart:

*edit.

Strawberries with osmocote in 2gall sleeve.

:grin:

9 Likes

Osmocote works great for all flowering plants! Do you have a link for the 2 gal sleeves?

2 Likes

got these link. that site has the tall 2 gallons as well for a buck more.

2 Likes

Is this from a octo?

1 Like

Yes, the top one is a small plant I had!
The second picture belongs to @syn he also uses octopods

1 Like

Is that what you get with a air stone ? Lol

I don’t use an air stone

Maybe syn dose ? I really don’t know

I’ve seen roots like that on my bigger plants without an air stone

Paps

1 Like

Octopots don’t require a air stone .

5 Likes