Odd Seedling Question

Newbie question here…
As with most things, time will reveal the answer, but I’m sure you guys will have a quick response. These are Bubblegum autos from @CADMAN. Dropped both seeds into peat pods. While one looks normal, what the heck is going on with the mutant leafless one?

They popped on the same day.

7 Likes

It might grow out of it but from experience looks like a dud to me.

9 Likes

Fellow newbie chiming in, so this is just an assumption, but I would guess the little one is just going to grow a little slower than the other one. I just grew 2 beans of the same strain, that were 2 different phenos, and they grew at very different speeds.

6 Likes

I plan on watching to see what happens, but thought someone might have an explanation.

4 Likes

I’ve had a bunch of em look like it, and they don’t follow regular growth all the time. It may be underdeveloped and may grow slow like @other_barry said. My experiences have shown they usually need to be culled and replaced.

5 Likes

They are autos (which I’ve not grown before). I will be interesting to see how it grows (or doesn’t). Shorter life than a regular photo (right?), it might not be able to speed up enough to stay in the game.

4 Likes

Autos do finish faster than photo strains. A lot of people go 18/6 light schedule. I’ve always had good luck with 24. They yield nice too, I pulled 5 ounces of the last auto I flowered out. And it was under a 1000 watt hid. You’ll find that yield and vigor depend on strain and always the growing conditions they are in.

5 Likes

@MyrtleGrounds the 2nd photo to me looks like the leaves :leaves: didn’t grow out… Odd mutation…

Your choices, grow it and see what it gives you OR scrap that one. And start a new seed.

Sometimes ya never know what a mutation may give you, look up “Freakshow” Cannabis :laughing::rofl:

7 Likes

If it were me I would let it go and see what it does. Never know what might happen with it.

5 Likes

It looks like one has its first true leaves and the other is just the cotyledons. I’d wait and see if it just stops growing then chuck it.

You have to change the light schedule on Marks autos to 12/12. They’re not really autos they’re super autos.

3 Likes

If it’s not being used for breeding, might as well let it grow. If it stalls out n die, at least you tried

3 Likes

@MidwestMover @MyrtleGrounds

" This is basically the holy grail of autoflowering seeds because you can by a super auto plant and no matter what the light cycle is they will always start flowering after a certain period and will be as big and potent as the regular strain. "

It seems that super Autos will flower automatically regardless of light schedules, quoted from above website…

I don’t believe that this particular strain “Marks BubbleGum Autos” are actually super Autos, maybe some of his other strains are, But I’ve only ever grown this strain by Mark.

I’m not an expert on “Super Autos” however I just know what I’ve personally experienced with Marks Autos. I treated them like Photoperiod plants with no issues. Because I’ve read a few people couldn’t get them to Automatically flower outside of 12/12…

I personally believe that Mark made these Autos by open pollination with Photoperiod Pollen, resulting in some % being Photoperiod & another % being Autos. Otherwise nobody would have any issues with the light schedules.

When I made MBA#1 (Marks BubbleGum Autos Regular) I just took the best Fem & Male and let them have babies :baby: so atleast going forward this strain will have some selected breeding involved, instead of just full open pollination…

So I’d still advise to treat them as Photoperiod plants, on a 18/6 veg & 12/12 flower schedule thus no issues.

6 Likes

Yeah, most growers are using the terminology of “fast flowers” for these. The auto genes usually cut about 2 weeks from the flower time, from what I’ve read.

2 Likes

Agree with @Pawsfodocaws looks like a dud but growing like a box of chocolate’s you never know what you might get. Sure hope not and my prayers are with this little gal.

3 Likes

@CADMAN Thank you - You are very generous to share both the seeds and the info. I appreciate your input on lighting schedule.

I’ll let it keep growing and see what unfolds!

3 Likes

Every sperm is sacred! :laughing: everything is a learning experience let’s see what the little chocolate is gonna have inside of. Let’s b optimistic and see if she will b coated with diamonds.

4 Likes

I totally agree. I don’t like that Mark sells them as autos but you have to flip the light schedule. Seems a marketing ploy to sell auto beans. Most newbies wanna grow autos just because of the simplicity. You only need a light and a tent.

I’ve just been told their super autos a lot about so I used that word to appease some folks.

I popped the whole 12 pack and not one showed pistils in 6 weeks while my seedstockers autos where starting to.

How was the smoke off your bubblegums? I just flipped a week ago. Did they take the 60 days to flower?

I originally bought them to breed to my fem autos, but with no apparent autoflower traits I didn’t wanna have the hassle of mixed traits to go through.

3 Likes

Yup mine flowered in almost exactly 60 days :wink:
It’s alright stuff, I get high from it, as for flavor nothing to write home about. But hey, Mark sells these seeds for $1.00 each. So I’m not gonna complain. I’d buy them again… I have 2 other strains from Mark (haven’t grown them yet) so maybe it’s just the BubbleGum strain that’s got the Photoperiod tendency… When I grow other strains by Mark I’ll certainly give feedback as I usually do with anything I’ve grown.

2 Likes

Ya I’ve got the blueberry and the lemon skunk. I’m hesitant to grow them when this spring box is coming with some real heat. Yes they were cheap and he gave me half off with my OG discount. But still I’d rather buy from someone on here that’s actually selling autos not mystery beans.

2 Likes

I tottal understand :wink:

1 Like