OG Amateur/Novice Breeder Roll Call!

@Bongedtobits
I’ve never done it but I assume the only difference would be the amount of plants per “hunt”…
you would have to spend some time growing out just a few at a time, cloning the best selection, and grow out more for the hunt, and just keep the best 2 (1 male + 1 female) rotated… . Until you find the final selection and then actually breed

5 Likes

@bongedtobits. Space and legalities be a fucker for us all but maybe a cooperative chucking community might be in order. Sure we can get vials of pollen to each other without too much trouble this end

9 Likes

Lol I share this affliction!
Though I do like to occasionally defile the odd “clone only”

5 Likes

@anon58740919 That could be a good shout. I’m thinking of making a small box to flower a cut of my male in to help collect pollen.

I have tons of glass vials kicking around…

2 Likes

Can I breed a male with another male ?

2 Likes

Not sure if you would want too, but I believe there is a chemical that will induce female flowers on a male plants. Can’t remember what it’s called though.

And even then I’m don’t know if they would be able to produce seeds.

5 Likes

Yes you can. You have a few fully documented procedures and results here.

6 Likes

ExperiMental Novice
Have a strain I enjoy and enjoyed growing, out of 4 got 75% female ratio
threw two outside females in for outcross testing. Was done on purpose
and allowed to run free for the most part. They outgrew the space of course
and much stress to raise resistance from offspring if possible…

Have grown out two testers, another in progress. The trait noted of one
mother was seen in next generation and more testing to see if it is a sex
linked display that could allow early sexing.

With the grafting videos watched, putting a couple different strains on one
plant with a male branch and allowing to flower out… Or a Father with many
different males ready for clones when needed…

Been There, Done That, Packaged the Seeds…
Buzz ON

5 Likes

I’d say I’m mostly a novice compared to a lot of people here, and I’m more of an experimenter than a breeder.

I’ve worked a little with landraces, and have done a few multigenerational projects. I’m going to do a big set of about 4-5 strains crossed to a yeti f4 for my next project. After that, I’m planning a looong project using RSC landraces, and other heirloom or pure origin strains… That’s going to tie me up for a few years.

7 Likes

I’ve seen some posts themed around amateur breeding recently. Don’t be scared, answer the roll call! You never know what the future beholds.

3 Likes

Would you care to speak about the seeds you are trying to reanimate? What’s in your preferred line

2 Likes

Hola Gang

I try my hand at GA3 it does help
but I need to research how long
to leave the seed soaking. It make
the plant grow elongated and it does
help soften the seed so it can open
to grow.
I try with no success Masterkush
I think they were 18 yrs old. I also
try some Siberian frost most grew
but all die a week-end remove the
lid to early and too fast, Human error.

I try skunk from the 70 and a few
others. For now I concentrate on
my normal stuff but as soon as everything
is running good I will start back with
the old seed search for life.

Bare

7 Likes

Oh no! :disappointed:

Better luck next time. Hopefully you have more Masterkush left!

What’s the Siberian Frost? I’ve never heard of it and haven’t googled it yet.

I’m sure that an old school Skunk like that would pique the interest of many OG’ers :grin:

3 Likes

What OceanGrown are you using? I love OG. Ran a few dark helmet. Came out with 2 absolute gems. Took clones then lost everything last year after a ‘natural disaster’. Luckily during first run, I ‘accidentally’ pollinated with some

3 Likes

I’m running Swashbuckler atm check out my grow log. Some pretty awesome plants from that pack. Malibu pie is next on the list from OG.

5 Likes

NOVICE

Can we edit the title to call in MENTORS? It would be nice to pair up admitted NOVICES with experienced members or genetic biologists who want to help.

7 Likes

Mentor…

I was thrilled when the Old OG opened. My book Bonanza of Green came out 2004 and outlined my indoor organic continuous grow method and other tips for smaller home growers…

We are an older seed company now, Bog Seeds…:sunglasses:.

Book available on flash drive as well as all our strains so contact the Bog s anytime by email. We guarantee free shipping and our products to your satisfaction.

Bogland72@gmail.com

Just ask about deals on books or seeds if in USA. We also have distributors who ship world wide on the seeds.

BushyOldGrower :sunglasses:

17 Likes

If @ReikoX is a NOVICE then we need another category for me. I’ve made 2 F1 crosses and will be doing a back cross this go 'round. No real pheno selection involved, just picking the healthiest and letting them do their thing. Relying on lady luck to do the rest.

I grow in amended peat moss with organic nutes because it has been foolproof so far and I love the way my bud tastes compared to the stuff I can buy.

11 Likes

I would have to rate myself as an Amateur.
My first plants were outside in 1977 , ny aunt gave my some 10” starts, they got ripped off but I was hooked.
In about 1988 a friend and I started running hydro tubes , very simple and effective, the plants he brought with came from Sensi Seeds “Cheepee” mix, a cheap mixed bag to see if he would get seeds from Holland ,these were nice little rusty indices for the most part, sexy buds but not much punch , I had been collecting seeds for years in different film containers and started them , I bred male pollen from a ?sativa strain to a few of my favourite girls , the plants that resulted were a mixed bag and I kept a few, they were a lot smaller than moms but kicked some serious ass, so I have been dusting girls ever since, that’s me🙃.

8 Likes

Pollen chucker here :wave:

10 Likes