OG Amateur/Novice Breeder Roll Call!

Consider yourself an amateur or novice breeder? Muster here!

Are your skills above and beyond what you would consider amateur and you would like to share your knowledge and be an OG Mentor? Muster here!

Just make the first word of your reply to this post either NOVICE, AMATEUR, or MENTOR. And tell everyone about yourself, whatever you are comfortable sharing.

Don’t be shy; great things can come from interacting with your peers in this awesome community. I’ll start…

NOVICE. The only knowledge of breeding I have has come from books. I have no practice with breeding, just information floating around in my head. I would consider myself prejudiced against ruderalis and feminized plants when it comes to breeding; I wouldn’t want those genes anywhere near my pool, but I respect other’s choice to include them.
My thoughts on growing tend to lean very heavy toward the organic side, although that didn’t used to be the case. I used to think that organic gardening was a complicated technique that only hippy magicians in tune with the vibrations of the soil could pull off. I don’t judge though. Your style is your style, grow the way you want to but be open to new ideas and techniques.
I can get pretty nerdy with the data collection. You never know what data set is going to open your eyes to something new. I think that cutting edge technology and current verified science can help perfect your grow, gadgets are nifty, and automated controllers and sensors are cool as hell. I want the door to my lab to make that satisfying “spaceship door opening and hissing” sound. That would make me so happy.
My ultimate goal for breeding would be to stabilize a cross with desired traits all the way to F9. And then share it with the world. I think that Overgrow is a good place to start that journey, and a great place for a page in history to be written by an awesome community.

16 Likes

Novice
I say YES I’m in, . . . I’m hoodini and I am a shitty breeder :wave:
But I can teach what not to do :wink:

17 Likes

I’ve got a buddy that learns that way. Figure out what not to do first, and then don’t do that again.

Glad to have another shitty breeder around! We’ve all got to start somewhere. Now…where are all the mentors at??

8 Likes

Lol it’s usually the long way of learning but I think I learn more things that don’t work than that do

7 Likes

Hola Gang

I would go with Amateur I have
a few 100’s polination done not
all good but mostly.

I try to F2 all that go in my hands

I always was a stoner 50+yrs
and grower here and there but
the last 15 yrs am seriously loving it

Bare

14 Likes

Absolute NOVICE
Only know a little bit from reading and semi-deductive reasoning lol. Looking to change that around with the new beans I popped. Plan on doing as many crosses as I can. F2 a couple strains and whatnot. All I need is to build a 2x2x4 breeding box and I’m gonna toss whatever males I get in there and see what comes out. Hope to learn a lot more.

:v:

8 Likes

I am a seasoned amature. I can mess up with the best rookies out there. I have helped with the cultivation of 10000s of plants, but have only had 3 crops of my own :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Three Novices and two Amateurs…not bad! Add a Mentor to the mix and Overgrow could start its very own Breeder University. Or something like that.

Now where’s all the other breeders and wannabes at??

3 Likes

NOVICE… I, @SkyDog, am a total novice. Learning as I go here. Prior to joining here, my knowledge came from HT Magazine, Marijuana Horticulture, Grow Like a Pro Video, Ultimate Grow videos. I decided to start growing my own medication as I grew tired of the whole process of finding and buying. Started with a 4X4 tent and 600W MH/HPS setup. Just finished my first grow and it went extremely well with the help of the members here.

https://overgrow.com/t/first-grow-here-we-go-space-u-beans/10279

Putting together a small clone/veg room now so I can keep things going at all times. Glad to be a part of this group here and looking forward to many more bountiful harvests.

SkyDog

8 Likes

Novice

I am very interested in breeding though. I have over 40 strain ideas written down in my phone, that way if I ever really get into it I have ample ideas. I would mostly like to make a couple lines and work them thoroughly, then cross them with eachother and work those. I have a decent understanding of genetics and how to find traits that are desirable and work in and out certain things. It’s all just a matter of actual execution! Looking forward to following this thread :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Definitely a novice with a few lucky chucking experiences. I started breeding autos because I liked them, but wasn’t going to buy feminized autos that cant be cloned.

I’m working my way up to amateur, growing out those first seeds and exploring the gene pool. The Lowryder x La Diva proved to be a nice pairing. I’ve gotten to see a lot of them grown out here, as well as a few sending me back F2s. I’ll be working these in the future.

10 Likes

Fellow novice
I’ve done a few chucks over the last few years and made f2’s of plants I’d like to revisit later.
Amateur status is somewhere in the distance but I’ll get there.

4 Likes

Sorry can’t resist ^^ Retired was the best word but not in the list.

Be sure than i’m feeling like an uneducated worm sometimes. But that’s the beauty of the competition, you try again and harder. To become a worm than have learned something lol

• My whole approach is empiric and i search in books inspiration for my hands (not that)
  • I can’t live too much without pollen, because i’m a disguised bee. I swear.
  • I have a deep allergy to fems and ruds. Useless to deny, but i forgive people abducted by aliens.
  • Mineral junkie, coco coir addict, ebb&flow lover, SOG priest, Neons fanatic
  • I hate EC and PH meters, they don’t fly like frisbies
  • I only want a good refractometer for christmas
  • I have twos left hands when i dabble. Full of wounds.
  • My wife clone better my motherplants than me.
  • But at least i germinate better the old seeds than her ^^
  • I need competitive friends than beat my ass to death with majestic weed than make me cry.
  • I’ve always humble expectations with my friends.
  • Classics and 90’s dutch catalogs is my poison. The poor USA growers have only one decent thing, the ECSD.
  • I never provoke people to obtain more competition.
  • I own only the genetic stock than i can keep alive and always fresh, nothing more. I don’t freeze and collect anything, i just use it.
  • But i’m a seed ogre, to germinate is a bit compulsive.
  • If you read all this, you’re just a freak.
  • I chase the grail off course, like all breeders. Even the ones than don’t known allready than they are breeder.
  • I’ve not really a “specialty”, a niche, a preference, a whatever, a particular reference than inspire me …
  • You’re really a freak ^^
  • I’ve a deep respect for stubborn people than don’t give up
  • But no for you, freak.
15 Likes

damnit… I thought I was gonna learn something :joy:

:v:

6 Likes

Close enough to mentor for me :grin::grin::grin:

5 Likes

I should’ve asked for this info in the original post, but oh well. Hindsight is 20/20 and whatnot.

What country is everyone from? United States here.

3 Likes

I wanna be able to say this one day… WOW!

I have three crosses i have done, so am getting started to learn… Not even a novice.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I am one of the good freaks tho…

Sci :robot:

6 Likes

Hola Gang

I wish I could work this out

but am engage in doing reproduction of
very old seeds to bring them back it
take space and time.
Plus I have a few of my preferred line
that also have to be renew
All that to say will be busy all winter

But Thanks of thinking of me

its nice

Bare

9 Likes

NOVICE- A breeder is a bit of a stretch for me. Pollen chucker and hopeful more like. Only recently have I started to make notes instead of hit and hope. I have read loads of books about it but doing it is much different. Legality and space in the UK are an issue for me.

I made some F2 of a strain called ICE. Years ago. Never germinated any of them. No idea where they went.

I also purposely left a blueberry plant in my tent that I knew self seeded to get my Exodus cuts pregnant to make my own blue cheese. Worked out great still have some of the beans in my tub.

Atm I’m working on some Ocean Grown F2s. This time I’m actually going to do some selection

7 Likes

With the way things are going, hopefully legality won’t remain an issue for long.

As far as space, I’ve heard that you can accomplish big things with minimal space. I’m sure someone here has knowledge or experience of breeding with space limitations.

6 Likes