Strains from before prohibition

Does anyone know names of strains from before prohibition? Preferably stuff that can’t be had anymore.
Research for a Halloween story.

4 Likes

Mexican Brick James Brown weed

I remember it being called Downtown Brown and was 15dollars a oz

17 Likes

smoked that sh!t by the ton

80 dollars a key back in 1974

peace

Dequilo

8 Likes

Maybe it was $5 a oz LOL
We smoked tons too

4 Likes

Remember what a bud looked like back then LOL

15 Likes

oh, my… we’ve come a long way since “brick weed” :seedling:

3 Likes

God i was having flashbacks when someone brought up maui wowie. Now youre pulling out stuff from before my birth lol.

2 Likes

Pre prohibition most companies just used the label cannabis indica, park davis now known as pfeiser had ,there own brand labeled American Cannabis. I’ve read comments about a variety called haze, and something called escalating skunk but cant find any evidence of such labels.

4 Likes

THAI Stick The original Now that was some dam good smoke

8 Likes

You mean “Tied Stick”, man?

10 Likes

We had Thai stick and kids now a days have Tide pods…

9 Likes

Labrador! You mean we’re smoking dog shit?

5 Likes

I know most slang for cannabis came from strain names.
So griffa was the slang and the cultivar.
Same with Mez.

5 Likes

Pre-prohibition means everything, pretty much. But I assume you mean strains from the 80s and 90s, since the 70s and earlier were mostly just the landraces of different regions.

2 Likes

My grandparents started growing weed in the early 60s beatnik pre hippie days my father said most country cops had no clue what it even looked like until the 70s and he never smoked anything with a name on it until 1969 or 70 and that was the Thai stick he said it made his legs feel like Jell-O and he couldn’t walk on it… probably only a handful of people who can say there family has been doing it for 60 years and 3 generations my grandparents never smoked a puff but never minded anyone else doing it

7 Likes

Back in '72 we had
“Columbian Gold”
“Panama Red”
Most bagweed was simply called “Mexican”
Never saw a “Thai Stick” (the buds were wrapped around wood sticks) until '78.

5 Likes

Interesting question. Before prohibition it was grown domestically in small plots and sold on the streets in prerolled cigarettes. I am unsure of what exactly they grew before large scale Mexican imports.

Cannabis was familiar to most Americans since the mid-1800’s, and since it was grown domestically in northern states, it either had to be selected hemp seed, or imported seed stock from climates with shorter flowering varieties. If I had to guess those varieties, it was probably Turkish, Lebanese, Afghan, or Moroccan stock, and if I had to guess from those, I’d lean Turkish, though to them, Turkish just meant from the Ottoman Empire, which encompassed a pretty sizeable area at the time with plenty of landraces and varieties.

7 Likes

1972 wow. I was around but not smokin’ yet :no_mouth:
I remember we used to call sensimilla, “Sense”.

3 Likes

I still to this day have not seen one.

3 Likes

lol
There was an episode of “Dragnet”, or maybe “Perry Mason” , where one of the cops said they smelled weed and the the young lady in question said no, it was “Turkish cigarettes” they smelled.
One of the stoners in my extended group back then used to smoke clove cigarettes, he called them “Turkish” but I think he just misheard the word “kreteks”, which, oddly enough, an old man down my block used to call them cuz he smoked them too.
That dude was amazing! Well into his '80’s and he could vault a fence like a teenager.

6 Likes