OldFatBiker grows fatter

Starting a thread for this new adventure into growing. Many thanks to @Mr.Christmas for getting me started with some advice and some magic beans!

I germinated six seeds (Mo Lune Day x Golden Showers) and got them going in early June. Since I suck at documentation (which I hope to improve), I don’t know the exact age of the plants. After some issues with stretching (recovered by repotting deeper) and some incorrect lighting exposure, I had some plants that were doing ok. Four of the plants are female and three of those grew to 16" to 18". The other plant was quite stunted at around 6".

I just obtained a Vivosun 4x2x6 pro tent, AeroZesh G4 duct fan, GrowHub E42A controller, and VS1000 LED grow light. I repotted into fabric containers (soil) and introduced the four to the tent on 05-Sep.

Roots are getting re-established and the plants are getting taller. They have been named after the ghosts in Pac Man.

As of 15-Sep…
INKY (22")

BLINKY (23")

PINKY (20")

CLYDE (8")

I’m learning to work with liquid nutrients, currently using Fox Farm Grow Big (6-4-4) but will switch to Tiger Bloom (2-8-4) when flowering. I will flip to flowering after I’ve got nutrients and pH where I want. Right now, pH is between 5 and 6.

I have some work to do, but for a first grow, I do have live plants, so I’m satisfied with it so far.

Wish me luck!

15 Likes

Best of luck on your maiden voyage! Plants look great. Remember love your plants but not to death. :laughing: I’m gonna pull up a spot and hang out.

3 Likes

Love the girls. You should not have any yellow leaves at the stage they are in. Check the amount you are watering or the amount of nutrients they are getting. The only time you should see yellow leaves is if there is a deficiency or they are getting ready for harvest. Good luck @OldFatBiker

2 Likes

I agree @Il_medical about the yellowness. I appreciate the observation. I used the Grow Big thinking it was Nitrogen deficiency, but the problem has gotten worse. @Mr.Christmas thinks it’s a Mg deficiency. I’ve also noted that my pH is low at 5 to 5.5. I’m using a LY101 soil tester to get pH (and moisture level) → https://www.amazon.com/Fertility-Measure-Horticultural-Moisture-Battery/dp/B0D1732WR9/ref=asc_df_B0D1732WR9/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=698049284775&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5915289376912890190&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015498&hvtargid=pla-2308723767820&psc=1&mcid=2bb13dce99a23624bfbd60a5868256c4

I need to get some CalMag, some pH up, and stick with the Grow Big until the plants are recovered. Once I’m satisfied the plants have recovered, I can flip to flowering.

There’s definitely a learning curve, so I’m not going to stress over any rookie mistakes.

1 Like

Fox farm has a variety of good nutrients. Are you following the schedule?

I’ve got the dirty dozen kit.

Also, try some different water. I use well but rain water could be a nice addition. Cannabis can be fickle about water. The plant could easily be under watered or over watered. It all comes in time. Good luck.

2 Likes

Congrats on your first grow! I’m working on mine right now, and I’m trying to stay in a similar “hey, everything is still alive, I’m doing pretty ok” mindset and not overthink it too much (with limited success).

I hope you’re able to sort out that nutrient situation and that they flourish!

1 Like

Could also be locking out certain nutes with the low pH. I’m a big fan of if it’s alive LITFA.

1 Like

Now that I have a bit more background, it sounds like an amalgamation of problems. Glad you checked out the video, it makes starting off extremely easy. Personally, I’d cull and start over. Regardless, you definitely need to incorporate a Cal-Mag supplement.

1 Like

I agree about the complexity of the issue: pH (from well + worn out RO system), possible nutrient lockout, lack of Mg, and lack of Nitrogen, maybe even Phosphorous. I’m not ready to cull and start over yet. I’ve learned more in my life by screwing up and fixing it.

I’m ignorant about this for sure, but the plants do look “ok” so if I can have some success at reversing this, then I stand to learn a lot.

This weekend, I will be getting the RO back in working order (just got new guts for my system) and get my hands on stuff to correct the pH and some Cal-Mag.

3 Likes

Not really following much of a schedule. Watered with the nutrients three times, then going to water without nutrients. Turns out the moisture level is too high (which has come down with time) and pH is off (which I will need to correct in the water).

1 Like

Agree dude those plants are just fine. Plenty of time to fix the new growth, including the flowers that have yet to start growing! Your yellow leaves are in the past now, shit some guys around here cut em all off anyways lol.

General Hydroponics pH up / pH down kit comes with ph testing drops, its cheap and easy peasy, it’s all Ive ever used.

GH nutes (including cal-mag) are super easy also but you have plenty of options there, easy enough to follow the instructions on the bottle starting at half strength.

Wishing you well and I’m gonna follow :beers:

3 Likes