ORANGE smell and taste

After my next grow I plan on doing my first seed run. Thinking something orange but also have cherries and some banana Danish that could make for an interesting fruity strain.
Will likely be about 3 myths or a little more bur its definitely going down.

4 Likes

Everything I got was homegrown in some fashion from Southern Ca and from seed I believe for a long time because not many people were hydro or cloning except the pros. People were mastering MH and HPS and figuring out to switch spectrums at the time. Then once it got into someone’s hands it changed in like 3-4 years to the Dutch stuff like Kali Mist and others I think. While on the West Coast it seemed to take on a lot lighter color and way tighter buds that got sweeter and sweeter. This is from my perspective. I would love to hear the real history leading up to today’s ridiculous resin and flavors.

3 Likes

Also check out Mimosa - never grew her, but had it a couple times from different sources. Almost all Sativa/uplifting and clear, nice tangerine/clementine taste.

2 Likes

Okay now, this is what it used to look like, but the trichomes didn’t extend out on the leaves and you would usually get it badly manicured. Dark green leaf with crazy pistils. The bag at the end was just red hairs that fell off into the corner.

5 Likes

That’s a nice looking bud…love all those orange pistils

See how Serious Seeds Kali Mist toned down the crazy pistils and brought the resin and phat calyx especially.
Could ask them! They’re on OG.

3 Likes

I’d prefer the other version lol reminds me of carrot top

3 Likes

yeah i can confirm this also, had tangie (only one seed) once and it was the most orange that i ever had.

4 Likes

I just remembered Western Winds, which was Sagarmatha’s version of Kali Mist, but these pictures don’t have anywhere near the hairiness of Kali. Serious Seeds never released the parent information on Kali Mist only list it as 90-100% Sativa.https://www.cannaconnection.com/strains/western-winds

3 Likes

https://www.barneysfarm.com/tangerine-dream-24
Since I already got into this Cali-O rabbit hole. :rabbit: Barney’s Farm Tangerine Dream offers a different origin on the orange flavor with a G13xAfghanxNevil’s A5 Haze. I don’t think the Cali-O is a Haze though. The plants I remember seeing were not topped, so they were just straight towers with no drooping like a Haze. Doesn’t look like Thai either. This reminded me of Mexican fields I had seen, only in veg though and not the flowers with the distinct pistils. But no Mexican I ever tasted in 25 yrs, even the sinsemilla they keep for themselves over there, had any hint of orange. My guess would be that it was a Southern Californian genius that blended a Central or South American by the structure with a Southeastern Asian for the flavor. I’m probably wrong. Just a guess for funzies.

3 Likes

Both Tangie and Tangerine Dream will horrible disappoint you if you want the real heavy Orange Terps.

Tangie is mild terps at best and lacks potency. Please save your self the time growing it and trying to convincing me that it’s good and there is a keeper Tangie in them there hills.

The Tangerine Dream is garbage I smoked it in Amsterdam in 2010 during the CC and somehow it won meaning Barney’s paid the most to win. If the breeder can’t grow the strain for shit and that’s his best effort/cut than whats the chances you’ll find a good one.

The only strain I’ve ever grown or smoked that has had heavy Orange Terps is Bodhi’s Orange Sunshine that’s why I made f2s and spread them all around. @ShiskaberrySavior knows what’s up!

Peace

18 Likes

That’s good information, but we were just discussing the history of Cali-O and how it may have evolved into the heavy orange terps of today and not suggesting anyone should grow one versus the other. How did Bodhi do it? I guess that’s what makes him Bodhi. So it’s more about my own wonder of how we got from the Cali Orange to Kali Mist/Western Winds and Tangerine Dream to Orange Sunshine or what route it may have taken. Thanks for spreading the F2’s. I think everyone on this thread would have been right on it!

6 Likes

Can’t get more orange then the sunshine unless you peeled a orange and stuck it up your nose…

13 Likes

Just tried the up the nose thing…didn’t work for me.
Now, where can I get them beans. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Almost all orange strains out there came from cali-o. If not all of them

6 Likes

The TGA Orange velvet is probably what you smoked I see alot of sativa dominate phenos coming out from other growers.

4 Likes

I always thought Cali-O was a selection of Skunk #1.

3 Likes

I’m excited to run @Tejas 2006 MzJill Candy Mix pack that includes Orange Velvet, Jillybean, and Space Queen. Hoping to find some good orange in there.

I’ve run SinCity’s Tangerine Power and there were some great orange phenos in that pack.

I just finished running a handful of someone’s Orange Push Pop BX, a BX from F1 Seed Junky genetics. It’s a cross of (Orange Cookies x Triangle Kush). All 5 plants had orange smells, but one just reeks of it and the smoke actually tastes like it to. It’s awesome. You can always tell when someone’s opened that jar. The resin from these is just so damn good. I made F2s of that plant and have one pack left if anyone’s interested.

10 Likes

Grew a pack of JillyBean and got one that was like peeling a tangerine. I lost her to thrips, they love those orange terps too I guess.

3 Likes

Man, those sound killer. Would you be interested in a trade? :slight_smile:

3 Likes