Organic Victory Garden '21

The grow tent is up and running after some time off, here are some pics of the babies. Doing a test crop of nine C99 seedlings with my new soil mix and white light LED…the third pic turned out to be a mutant-vigorous male that I’ve got in flower now…

16 Likes

mixing a batch of soil - found bagged Lambert LM111 ORG at the local Griffin’s. I finally listened to a friend who suggested lab-testing my mix years ago - sent samples off to Logan Labs and paid extra to speak with their agronomist consultant. Well worth it.

He helped me figure out the mix was way too hot, the compost I use was adding too much nutes and minerals so I cut it in half. It was dropping the pH down from 6.6 to 5.6, I had no idea what was causing my lockout problems. And he told me to stop using Langbeinite because it’s too soluble, it releases a ton of minerals quickly.

Loving the extra-coarse vermiculite!

12 Likes

The boys are back into town! Got the males out in the sun. I like the mutant-growth one on the left, but I’m concerned the leaves are a bit fat and off the C99 breed standard. It smells good so I’ll combine the pollen with a more standard-looking one.

they wish they could pollinate that sexy New England Aster on the left but they’ve got no chance! :smile:

10 Likes

Daaaaaamn nice garden! Good to see you doing your thing. I love a good milk crate!

2 Likes

thanks man, pics from today - first day of 12/12 - females are topped and in 4-gallon pots - yes milk crates are clutch!

new white light setup - added two 45W supplemental bars from Grow-it-LED which use Samsung Hort strips

11 Likes

boys will be boys - the super-Cindy is so huge I"m thinking of culling the smaller male - look carefully in between the two plants, there’s a visitor

first NE Aster of the season

]

these have taken off - “Pearly White Everlasting” I grew from seed last year - butterfly plant

3 Likes

quick update - the males have gone to the great compost pile in the sky w/ 4 jars of Super Cindy pollen in my fridge. Females at one week into 12/12…got 2 in the short tent and 3 in the tall tent…so far so good, but they need water more often than I like.

I waited 2 full days and they looked stressed, removing 50% of the compost means they don’t hold as much water apparently. My next batch is already mixed with more vermiculite, going with 1:1 ratio of perlite/vermiculite from now on. This batch is more like 2:1

3 Likes

weekly update - now at day 14 of 12/12. FIngers crossed, all looking healthy in the new mix, if they’re still good at week 3 I’ll know it works.

I have the 5 plants in two 4x4 tents, I’ve got a new 600w light and I"m trying to decide if I want to move to a single 5x5. The 5X5 would only fit 4 this size, but that’s OK. On the other hand, two smaller tents gives me the option of keeping one tent in veg while the other flowers. first pic is 2 plants, second is 3 plants - Cindy getting all stretchy & leggy as usual…

2 Likes

week 3 1/2 update - problems started to show up. Plants looked underfed & possibly locked out, leaves got lighter color before they should. Boosted them w/ some liquid nutes, they got better. I think there is still too much P in the mix - cutting seabird guano in half for the next crop. It’s 2-3 times as heavy by volume as the other nutes, makes it easy to add too much

outside, the monarchs are gathering, Jah!!!

1 Like

just picked these down by the river where I walk my dogs - local Concord grapes. I hope I eat them all, already feeling guilty for taking them from the birds. Super-sweet grape taste with a pungent smoky/musky component. Totally different than grocery store grapes. They reek, very strong aroma to them, a musky winey-type grape smell

Tons of “Sweet Autumn Olive” berries over there too, I ate a bunch of them

“American Lady” butterfly in the meadow today

NE Asters peaking

2 Likes

week 5 update - have not solved my lockout problem! Fan leaves looks like it’s week 7 or 8. I doubt these will make it past week 6. I’ll get some nice buds, but yield will be half of what it should be. Next batch of seedlings is in the pipeline, I decreased the nutes 25% more and they look better. 99% sure the problem is too much Seabird guano, already have two bins of soil mix ready with 50% less seabird guano, can’t wait to try it

New Fluence Vypr 3P has been installed in one of the 4x4 - it’s everything I expected, it’s awesome. It’s hitting near 1000 PPF at the top of canopy running at only 350 watts out of 640. Fixture and ballast are very light and easy to install, the fixture is 42 inches long which fits perfectly into the 4x4. You can see from the reflection on the left side that the light bar is easily covering the full width of the tent

1 Like

couple more pics - wildflower garden is peaking! It’s mostly various types of Asters. Bees and butterflies are everywhere, but the number is down for the 2nd summer in a row. We had hardcore drought in June, I think that cut their numbers. Two years ago there were 10 times as many butterflies and twice the bees as this year.

New England Aster

1 Like

Pics of current project - making outdoor sativa seeds to give away for next year - (Nitro X Bangi) X Sensi Seeds Durban. The 2 more indica-looking plants are actually Agent99 X Durban - (Agent Orange X C99) X Durban.

some of the bangiXNitro plants have strong anthocyanins, red color showing up in seedling leaves, have not seen that before

3 Likes

Also, very excited about this - the actual poppy strain used in “Wizard of Oz”…Turkish Red…my first opium grow!!! I figured now that indoor heating season is here I might dedicate a spare closet to this…germinating tonight…

3 Likes