šŸ•Š Outdoor Adventures with your Friendly Neighbourhood Pigeonman 2024 Edition!

I am laughing Hard @FieldEffect

Its a Sous-Vid heat element, with a 15-minute Pin-timer driving my all purpose Mixer for some Circulation.

I am doing a 2 litre batch

Some people have it (lab gear); and Some donā€™t. So i am doing the McGyver

Taking serious aim at Transitioning some world-famous Humalite from the oil sands, into a Concentrate for Irrigation (650L) needs of Cannabis and things.

@Defharo is teaching us a couple of His veg/bloom Specialty alchemy.go-toā€™s

We kick-off Monday

6 Likes

I think Iā€™m laughing harder than you are :rofl:

Iā€™m just thinking in my head that I could totally see that picture of a MacGyvered mixer in some anti-drug propaganda presentation in the 90s. Tagline something like ā€œthis is what a dedicated cannabis addict will do for his next fixā€

Jeez Iā€™m outta my mind right now.

But anyway, love it :joy:

6 Likes

There you have the glassesā€¦

3 Likes

As an idea. In a logical sequence for me, the indoor substrates would go, after use, to create a substrate outside, and then, the time factor will be your ally.

4 Likes

I love it. Also laughing pretty hard.

4 Likes

Hey @MissinBissin , just wondering if your running the sous-vied in the solution being made with your rig?

Iā€™ve always just ran mine in water with the solution in itā€™s own separate container submerged within the water with the sous-vied. It takes longer but I donā€™t worry about burning out my sous-vied.

If you are running in the solution, have you done this before? Iā€™d love to find out itā€™s another option to go with but I canā€™t get myself to run a test.

2 Likes

ezgif.com-optimize(2)

I need to buy another grinder when they go one sale :sweat_smile:

As fine as I can get it by hand, anything that looks like chunks is just clumped fine powder.

I bought this already micronized! :grin:

KOH arrives tomorrow then the real fun begins!

:+1:

10 Likes

Haha. Thatā€™s bloody-well a direct hit!

Fernando that makes perfect sense.

Pre-loading Azomite, a Crop ahead. (you should see the shit-eating :grin: grin on my face)

Almost guaranteeā€™s that the indoor Substrates, get used twice (and I have bags of them, collecting)

Excuse me, but I have some Humalite to Crushā€¦

6 Likes

:rofl::rocket: Simplifying the complex!

4 Likes

Iā€™d be a little worried about using strong potassium hydroxide in glass. Iā€™m not much of a chemist but Iā€™m fairly certain strong alkali solutions and glass donā€™t mix well. Perhaps a plastic vessel would be better.

I think the stainless in your immersion heater should be fine with KOH.

Hey @Nitt do you know anything about this?

5 Likes

Iā€™m not sure, but I would definitely want to make sure before getting some. Is this for making some JADAM products for KNF type stuff. I canā€™t remember if itā€™s sodium or potassium hydroxide thatā€™s used for that. One of them is aka ā€œLyeā€.

I read that calcium hypochlorite is not best stored in glass, I donā€™t remember exactly why (the chlorine or what). But a type of plastic is better (PP, or PE maybe). I always think of glass as usually the best because of it not ā€œreactingā€ with stuff, but apparentely itā€™s not always the best solution.

I found this (but didnā€™t really read it), might have some answers:

5 Likes

@defharo this is a great question posed by @FieldEffect and @Nitt !

Since standard KOH solutions will etch glass over a period of just a few days; does the agitation with heat treatment + added Humalite + Azomite result in a breakdown of KOH into something that doesnā€™t eat glass?

Or do you store yours in a plastic bottle after itā€™s all made up and cooled down?

5 Likes

Hello, I store everything in glass and havenā€™t had any problems. Iā€™ve also used plastic, but in that case, I took the precaution of using bleach containers, an alkaline product, and had no issues.

I did have a problem when storing pure KOH in a plastic container; it absorbed moisture and dissolved the plastic. Today, I store pure KOH in well-sealed glass.

It is true that KOH attacks the silica present in glass, but it requires very, very high concentrations and also high temperatures. In the preparation we are making, besides using a small amount of KOH, during the process of dissolving humic acids, the KOH loses its potency. In fact, once the process is complete, the result is not caustic; you can touch it without any problems.

But it occurs to me as an experiment to dissolve glass with KOH to obtain potassium silicate, and that could be very good (Si+K). :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

After hydrolysis with leonardite, KOH is primarily transformed into potassium humates and fulvates, which are water-soluble compounds and can be used as organic fertilizers due to their ability to improve soil structure and nutrient availability.

9 Likes

Thanks for the great expaination @defharo !

:metal:

6 Likes

all for the cause! :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Glad to read that youā€™ve had good luck with it!

Iā€™ll be watching this interesting amendment concoction :sunglasses:

4 Likes

The leaves on the ATF are huge! Thats a great picture, Thank you for adding the bucket for height measurement example. :sunglasses:

About the coastal blueberryā€¦ it started smelling like berry 3 weeks into veg, the smell got stronger all the way into flower, then it got really intense from there. Perhaps itā€™s attracting fruit flysā€™ that are carrying fruit related indigenous disease. Could you please DM me a close up of the most attacked and least attacked leaf at your convenience.

Iā€™m guess you made it thru the brutal week, hopin everything is good witcha.

Have a great week!

17 Likes

We just need to maintain that pH; a diluted pH of 6.3 or 6.4 is my current target. Am I far off?

Dilution ratios of the humate from 0.5 - 2.0%
EC less than 2.0 etc etc

Now that I have prepared for a double batch, I am only running a single; 1L.
so these volumes will be halved. Ready just the same

Cleaner set-up by far. Only room for 1-Litre batch now

4 Likes

Outdoors you can increase the dose, the general PH of potting mixtures is indicative, I like to water with more acidic mixtures due to the type of substrate and the abundant microbiology, but any pH between 6.3 and 7.0 is fine.

Outdoors, all these things lose importance, because the soil regulates the PH.

4 Likes