Part 3 - Trying to get it right

On another note my cloning tent is now setup. I ran the pump for 8hrs yesterday with a few drops of water escaping at first but finally managed to stop all leaks!

I’ve got a 100watts overhead, but am able to dim it so should be more than enough. Looking to fill her up tomorrow with 4 strains, and moving forward I will be growing these till I get things right.

4 Likes

So hoping this is a good format for me to keep track of feed, issues etc. These are 3 of my future moms, still have 1 more to feed so mixing up more now.

I probably won’t be posting everyday, as these overall are doing good, though noticing a few things.

First of all, my first initial runoff all has high PH! So I dumped quiet about 8 gallons through these 3 pots plants.

Allkush

Date Water Temp Megacrop Calmag EC EC Run off PH PH Run off Notes
13/06/2020 20c 700ppm 0 1.4ec 1.14ec 5.8ph 6.75 Flushed down to 6.24ph - Needs more feed! Yellow new growth

Crocketts Confidential

13/06/2020 20c 700ppm 0 1.4ec 1.48ec 5.8ph 6.62 Flushed down to 6.33 ph

Allkush

13/06/2020 20c 700ppm 0 1.4ec 1.48ec 5.8ph 6.62 Flushed down to 6.33 ph

3 Likes

If you’re using solstrips maybe you shouldn’t do that, I have always seen that plants need more CalMag when growing under leds … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

What amount of calmag do you use?

Just finished watering my plants in flower, and run off was breaking 6.8ph on most plants. Managed to get the ph down, was rather painful doing this lol. Sigh, once these are done I’m running one strain and in smaller pots. Thinking of switching to flood and drain or a drip system.

1 Like

I use 1ml per 2 liters of Ionic Cal-Mag Pro but not on every watering, I alternate it with Grotek Pro-Silicate and later Grotek Growth Max. :muscle:

You should change to soil, on coco you will always have those pH fluctuations, soil acts as a buffer and it is easier. I use Advanced Nutrient pH perfect and never check pH, I think it has an equivalent in coco, maybe you should check it … :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I’m going to try a soil grow in a few weeks, but I’ll be sticking with Coco for the time being. I’ve looked at AN, but the cost is just through the roof. I will get this damn thing right! lol

I’ve decided to stop using RO water, just takes too much time waiting to fill all these buckets, and my EC is a .2.

2 Likes

0.2 ec is still on the soft side with 0.4 being middle of the road . You have good tap water but you will still have to top up tap ec with calmag till ec of Rez is 0.4 befor adding your nutes or just plain watering : )

3 Likes

They say it blocks Calcium, Zinc and Magnesium, could be the origin of your problems … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You only need RO if your tap water etc is very hard
And even then I would try a mix of tap and RO first before going fully RO
Coco , LEDs and RO , screams cal def
: )

3 Likes

Would there be a reason to mix half and half instead of just going straight to tap water?

I will also bump it upto .4ec, was just reading some posts to see a good starting point.

1 Like

Rez water after mix ( very hard water and RO ) may drop and fall close to 0.4 and it will hopefully still have all the minerals needed without having to amend after , as you would have to if just using straight RO
But your tap is good quality just slightly soft so just use straight tap with a dash of calmag needed to bring it up to 0.4
If using coco I would use specific coco nutes also as they take into account the coco cations etc all that hokaspokas

4 Likes

I’m stuck with MC for the time being, and may be moving away from coco in a few months. I’ve been thinking of switching to a flood and drain system with Hydroton.

1 Like

Go soil with flood And drain maybe , and then after grow or two go hydro but still using same flood and drain system : )
So using the soil first you can use up the mc etc then after a while I can talk you into Mapito or similar , way better than them clay balls

3 Likes

I’m going to try a few soil grows this year. I’m also doing an outdoor grow at a friends place (grew her indoors for 2months topped 2x). It’s doing well since it’s just water lol.

The reason I’m thinking of going with clayballs is so I can reuse them, but I’m awhile away from doing it. I’m prepping for a grow in 2-3 weeks with just 1 strain, which will give me time to focus on 1 plant until I hammer things down.

3 Likes

I use cannazym in my feeding , this breaks down the dead roots in my Mapito so it’s ready to reuse after a grow , been using the same Mapito in the same crates now for a few years

1 Like

Interesting! Never heard of Mapito until now, and a quick search shows no shops around here that sell it.

Still lots of research to do on my end! I will poke you when I’m closing in on my final setup, for now I’ll be sticking with coco till 4months or so before I make the switch.

1 Like

If you search on the net there are homemade rescipies for Mapito , but just them Rockwool croutons or similar mixed with foam would do

2 Likes

If you search for Mapito in OG most of the references are yours frech|nullxnull , anyway looks like an interesting medium to use and reuse … ejem|nullxnull

4 Likes

Also a option is Growpito if there still in business I’ve got a few bags left from when I worked for them I’d offer them up but there at the far end of my sea container which is full at present not a chance of reaching them .mapito rules once your dialed in but don’t let the media dry out there’s no returning from death .

4 Likes

I’ve been reading up on mapito, and haven’t seen many use it. At the same time they all swear by it. Thinking of giving it a go, but I’m going to decide in 2 weeks.

I’m finally getting around to building my grow room. So I’m going to try flood and drain on a 4x2 table. I’m still researching mapito! So far it looks great.

My aero cloner is running now and tomorrow I will check out my environment and if everything is good cloning time!

4 Likes