Parttime's perpetual party time

I noticed that I had a pea plant trying to choke a plant in my veg tent. I’d topped it and the pea plant was trying to make it one cola again. I thought my cover crop would be fine but the peas have lost my trust.

2 Likes

Your ladies are getting choked out. They like it rough. Damnit man :joy:

1 Like

Just don’t do the scene from Ghost with your instructor… muwahaha… keep the ceramics PG… hehe

2 Likes

No ghosting allowed!

I ended up signing up for a photography class. It’s all digital these days, you don’t learn to develop negatives or prints anymore. A bit of a shame if you ask me, I really enjoyed developing photos in the darkroom in my high school photo class.

2 Likes

Alright alright I’ve been lurking a lot lately and forgetting to do any sort of updates. Time for an infodump!

I’m getting into party mode in my garden lately. I’ve started some seeds, and I’m looking forward to seeing what they grow up like. Fleur Du Mal’s Indiana Bubblegum bx, Rare Dankness’s Rare Darkness, and some CSI Chem 91 S1s. Really excited for each of these, for different reasons. Bubblegum sounds awesome, I haven’t gotten to grow a bubblegum smelling/tasting plant yet, so I’m stoked for a sweet fun plant like that. I grew Rare Darkness a few years ago and it was a really neat purple plant, and I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it since, so I finally got some growing in my garden again. I’m excited to grow the Chem 91 S1s because I’m a nerd and really feed into the hype around the Chem cuts. I smoked half a joint of something labeled “Chemdawg” in Oregon and I got so high that I was shivering for a couple of hours, and I just haven’t had that experience any other time. If I recall correctly, I tracked down pictures from that time frame that were posted by the farm that it was grown at, and it seemed like they had a legit cut, so I’ve been wanting some Chem genetics in my garden since. However, with hlvd running rampant, I certainly won’t be tracking down a cut anytime soon. Can’t wait til the plants are big enough to take clones and share them with my friend so we can make selections. We’ve both been nerding out about it for a while so it’ll be real cool to get something going that’s in the ballpark and see how our tastes differ when selecting which to keep.

I’m growing a couple of LSD F2s that I got on here, and one of them smells like the freeze-dried strawberries that you get in like Special K cereal. Very interesting and cool, looking forward to getting to smoke that. I have a couple of Lemon Pie plants and they smell good as hell. I’m growing a couple plants of Fleur Du Mal Durban Thai High-Flyer and they’re pretty cool. I have an ABC female and no males, so next week I’m gonna be pollinating the ABC with some of the DTHF pollen that I saved when I’m making some more DTHF seeds for myself. I don’t know what I did with the package, but I think the DTHF seeds were an f3 or f4 generation, which I think is rad.

Okay cool just wanted to make sure I made a sort of garden update and ramble a bit.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading and re-reading this OT1 bonsai mother article for the past couple of days, and I feel like I’m going to end up trying this out in the near future to save space and keep some plants around. It’s really shocking to me that it’s not heavily reliant on bottled nutrients. I would assume that in a small pot, it would end up requiring something a little more wild than the 6-2-4 fish mix, which after looking at it, is an inoffensive product to me. However, I feel like this could be accomplished using KNF inputs.

I’ve been feeling like my method of just winging it with everything in my garden has been a severe detriment to my growing-related knowledge and has caused that bit of my knowledge to basically totally atrophy. At at this point, I feel like I really don’t know anything about growing aside from what something looks like when it needs nitrogen. I’ve just been relying on the soil to do all the work, and I need to figure out what sorts of things I can be feeding my plants that I’ll feel good about and keep them healthy. Gonna end up having to sit down and read a bunch of books and I’m gonna probably end up jumping back into fermenting all kinds of shit. My brother and his wife are going on a fishing day trip and I need to send them with a cooler to throw all the carcasses into so I can make some fish goo for my plants!

Also I have a seed starting problem. I’ll post more about the situation as it develops, but it’s clear to me that I’m going to learn exactly what the upper limit is for how many plants I can have going in my garden. I only have the capacity for complete neglect or total obsession with my garden, so I’ve gone pedal to the metal and am going to be extremely out of room soon. I’m starting to get the ball rolling on a Bonanza of Green inspired musical chairs scenario where everything shifts stations every few weeks and then I have to start more seeds. He says start a few seeds or take clones every two weeks, and I’m definitely going to be starting way more than he meant to. I would run it exactly how he wrote it, but I’m not growing with the same goals in mind than his methodology is outlining.

2 Likes

Sounds like a fun adventure. I don’t have the balls to dive into the whole KNF thing. My wife on the other hand wants to give it a try for her outside garden. I’ll be keeping a close eye on your results.

1 Like

As a concept, I’m SO into it, but I just don’t fully understand it yet, so it’s intimidating as hell!

1 Like

I had a few plants start to flower out of nowhere in my veg tent a while back, so I’m assuming I just had some weird environmental factor in there. I’ve had this one revegging though, and I think the height saving technique I’ve implemented is fun. This was after I pruned it back a good deal and took a bunch of little clones off of it. I love the way oldtimer1 does his cloning in the bonsai mother article, and I wanted to give it a shot. This plant was perfect for it with the wacko reveg growth!

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with experimenting and learning what plants like or don’t like as you dial in your craft. without pushing our borders a bit we become complacent.
bored even. rock on man

3 Likes

For sure! Thanks for the encouragement! Getting out of one’s comfort zone is important, and I’m definitely the kind of guy that will just settle into a routine and not notice when it stops working until it’s too late, and I’m learning closer plant observation all over again. I’ve had a renewed interest in my garden lately, so I’ve been trying to go back to basics. I’ve started tracking stuff in my planner and taking some notes in a notebook, and it’s only been about a month since I started and it’s been super helpful with timing stuff!

1 Like

I didn’t think to have an area for small plants until I got fixated on the bonsai mum article last week, and I got the idea to stack this on top of my veg tent, and I think this is gonna be a wonderful addition.

Another new thing in my garden is that I broke down the grow bed I was using and put my plants in pots! I wasn’t watering properly in the bed, and I’m saving height and will be able to fit more plants in there in pots like this as well.

5 Likes

Whats happening in here? Did you legit stack a tent on top of a tent or is that an extension for your existing tent?

1 Like

Oh yeah man I just put a small tent on top of my veg tent

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that’s the smartest thing I’ve ever seen. The roof of the bottom tent is pulled taut enough to support what ever weight you have on the top tent? That’s awesome.

1 Like

Hahaha thanks! And nah, it would have been a little too wild of a surface, so I put a board in between them so everything would be pretty level. The top tent is a 2x2x4 tent that I just laid on its side because I couldn’t find anything that was 2x4x2, so there’s a vent port on the floor of it that’s making it a bit lumpy in there, and the board isn’t the full size of the surface, so around the edges is slanted. I’m pretty pleased because I’m not a very creative problem solver most of the time, and this feels really clever to me. The whole setup is great. I do need to get a step ladder for in there though. I brought a stool in, but standing on it felt pretty unsafe, so everytime I go in there I’ll be distracted because I’ll be nervous and waiting to million dollar baby myself on a shelf or something.

1 Like

IMG_4572
Makin’ babies. Enjoying how this DTHF looks all loaded with seeds.

Got some new trimmers! Spent time trimming over the weekend with the spring-loaded fiskars and decided to get some new ones.

3 Likes

Clever on the sideways tent stack, love that. Also, mate, you will enjoy those Japanese scissors. Top notch quality

2 Likes

Thanks! And I’ve seen them around and ended up asking my friend what he uses. They feel really nice, I’m looking forward to trying them out in a few weeks!

1 Like

I transplanted a bunch of seedlings into small pots and basically filled up my small plant tent today, and moved small plants into 1gal pots and filled up my veg tent, and I’m a little spooked at how I was planning on starting more seeds next week, but I’m realizing now how obscenely aggressively I was planning on growing this year. I think I’ll still be getting pretty wild, but no need to overwhelm myself just because I’m impatient to see what all my seeds will look like all grown up.

2 Likes