Peter's Perfect - Reengineering 321 Formula to the Ultimate Coco Experience

I’m pretty optimistic about the MasterBlend. It’s actually exactly where I was trying to get with the Jacks/Peters for flowering. If it works as well as I think it will, it’s honestly going to be the easiest and cheapest 3-part solution. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to compensate for the 5-11/12-26 formulas, but 4-18-38 is just easier to hit target numbers for coco with.

3 Likes

I am super interested as soon as I run out of what I got going as well

Can you give a refresher on your approach with the Master Blend? I’m very intrigued, and burning through my supply of Jack’s faster than expected.

2 Likes

Well I’m just starting to try it right now, but my plan is to mix it as:

2.5g Master Blend 4-18-38
2.4g calcium nitrate
2.3g Epsom

For veg, use magnesium nitrate 1:1 instead of Epsom. For transition, half magnesium nitrate, half epsom.

Then, just dilute to the correct EC. Maybe add 0.1g AgSil if you want silica.

4 Likes

Interesting. I’ll have to bust out the spreadsheet and do some comparisons in the morning.

I think one reason I didn’t try it before was that the K seemed pretty high for coco, but a few people seem to be having pretty good results, so it seems I might have to rethink that?

Here are some approximate elemental numbers for MB. Have not used it myself…yet.

Jacks…80 & 100%

10 Likes

Masterblend is actually VERY easily available for me! This is such a blessing. Super stoked to learn that! Peters/jacks/gaiagreen aint available here, believe me I’ve looked.

Cant wait to start my coco adventure following your guidelines.

Cheers guys!

6 Likes

That right there is enough to convince me to try a comparison. I’ve got two runs going right now, might run the Durban x Jungle Spice on a MasterBlend regimen while keeping my other tent on the Jack’s. Both are coco flood and drain setups with LED lighting. Should be informative, I think.

Just gotta figure out what ratios I want to run first.

3 Likes

My micro knowledge is non-existent. :baby:
Need to see if my local hydro hut has MB on the shelf.

Micro elements aside…
I like seeing MB has more Mg, and no Sulfer.

Jacks and Masterblend labels

4 Likes

MB has less magnesium and sulfur. Basically they leave Epsom out of the mix, which I think also makes it a better value because Epsom is cheap compared to the other components in the mix. That’s why you only need 2.5g, because the difference is in Epsom weight.

5 Likes

I see. Better to have it separate for mix flexibility.

The MB also has .5 of Ammoniacal N. Does anyone have insight on when and why to have more/less Ammoniacal type N?
Seems that soil nutes use more, hydro less/none.

3 Likes

Went ahead and ordered some. Will be very interesting to compare.

3 Likes

Awesome! I just started it in my DTW feeds a couple days ago. It’ll be nice to see how it works in your setup too.

2 Likes

It looks like that comes from MAP in their ingredients. It’s not desirable, but it’s in a pretty small ratio when you mix the calnitrate, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

2 Likes

Hey man, I’m just placing my orders for my coco adventure and just thought I’d give you guys an update. The place that sells Masterblend sells it as the following package:

• 200/400/600/800 gram Masterblend® 4-18-38
  • 200/400/600/800 gram Calcium Nitrate
  • 100/200/300/400 gram Magnesium Sulfate

Now you’ve mentioned that for veg you’d swap out the epsom salt (mag sulfate) for magnesium nitrate… So I ordered that as well!
Let’s hope the postman keeps on truckin’ and gets here soon.

3 Likes

I think the Mag Nitrate is very nice to use in veg. My formula is slightly different, but I am curious how their recommended ratios work out. The only difference is that I use more epsom. I am wondering if they only recommend 400 epsom, because it is a soil/hydro formula.

2 Likes

I’m using the MasterBlend mix right now (coco coir in flower) at:

25g MB
24g Cal nitrate
23g Epsom

One of my plants it showing calcium deficiency… but I’m also changing a lot of things right now. 6x feeds per day & EC dropped to 1.3. I’m in a difficult spot trying to balance growing nute-sensitive pure sativas and nute hungry pure indicas. I was feeding at 1.6-1.8, but the sativas complained. Overall, I’m trying to use lower EC and higher feed rates, due to moisture problems with higher EC and lower feed rates in my small 1 gal pots…

Anyway, based on the fact that calcium deficiency is the first sign I’m seeing, I’m going to try dropping the epsom in the mix. I think I’m at about 2:1 right now. Might try more like 18-20g instead of 23g next time.

6 Likes

Still using mb ? Or you found something just as good you a uk :uk: grower to ? Just seen people from USA canda have diff results using same npk ratios & nutrients when having different water :droplet: mind gets blown with it all just need to find a uk grower who as soft water so can have a good chat about nutrients .

Been using ionic grow & bloom no pk knocks & messers with npk so a no no & no potassium slica too cosboff same
Sililica acid …Buddhas tree
Nitrozyme
Liquid oxygen
Fulvic acid
Epsom salts
Foiler nitrozyme & fulvic 2:5 parts aka …rocket fuel

No am just looking for better npk would live a one part like ionic but no fussed or npk off like

3-1-4 veg
2.5-1.5-5.5 flower .

Or like dyna grow 9-3-6 for veg & Flower 2.5-1.5-5.5 (caps feed )
Or some one word me up if am getting this all wrong :love_you_gesture:

Been looking to dry nutrients .
Jacks citrus
veg & bloom
Mega crop
Jacks 321
Chempak
Master bland.
Who’s had the best flavours biggest yields using what ?

Thanks in advanced

4 Likes

Jacks 321 is hard to beat.
And as you say different water makes the formulas different for everyone. 6.8 is my sweet spot in coco. My tap is 5.7.

2 Likes

Yeah keep hearing so must be the dogs :dog2: you in uk ? You used any off the above ? Most ? All? Any chelts in the tank ? Micros ? Ect?