Peter's Perfect - Reengineering 321 Formula to the Ultimate Coco Experience

Here’s a new calcium product by floraflex. Reduces the N by a good amount for flower While keeping the calcium up. EDTA though but I’m going to try it out.

5 Likes

Nice find. Loads of calcium.

Comparison of 3 cal-nits.

N ppm @ 124 CA.

CA ppm @ 90 N.

7 Likes

Just mixed up my first batch of MasterBlend. A few observations – it mixed to pH 5.9, while Peter’s mixed to 6.2 with my water. Also, it seemed to mix quite easily compared to Peters.

4 Likes

That sounds promising. I have been using my blender to mix the jacks because it takes forever myself.

Just found a sticky note Greengenes LED formula that I must have seen somewhere.

2g jacks
2.7g cal-nit
2g epsom
1.2g mkp

Assuming the MKP just for flowering of course.

Edit I haven’t used this formula.

Is that a soil or coco recipe?

Pretty sure it was Coco as that’s what I am growing in.

1 Like

It’s in this video starting around the 30 minute mark. Shows all the nutrient ratios in a spreadsheet and everything and then has the g/gal at the bottom of his column.

3 Likes

That’s a very interesting twist on jacks. The calcium is jacked way up, but the magnesium isn’t. Looks like he’s going for lower N as well. Only thing I’d be wary of is dropping off the trace minerals from reducing the jacks. I’d consider supplementing a little TM-7 or Peters MOST. Otherwise, looks like a pretty decent approach.

2 Likes

Yeah a pretty good informative video in general. I am not a numbers guy for some reason this stuff doesn’t stick with me that long apparently… and I am super ripped right now from low tolerance lol… Someone in the comments actually asked about his thought on Masterblend but doesn’t look like he got around to replying.

The last recipe i’ve used is
2.5g jacks
2.5g cal nit
.25g potassium silicate
.25g ammonium sulfate

up until week 3 of flowering then traded the ammonium sulfate for MAP
was my first time using this formula under my new at the time LEDs and did see some deficiency that looked to be calcium on the black triangles.

1 Like

I’m pretty optimistic about the MasterBlend. It’s actually exactly where I was trying to get with the Jacks/Peters for flowering. If it works as well as I think it will, it’s honestly going to be the easiest and cheapest 3-part solution. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to compensate for the 5-11/12-26 formulas, but 4-18-38 is just easier to hit target numbers for coco with.

3 Likes

I am super interested as soon as I run out of what I got going as well

Can you give a refresher on your approach with the Master Blend? I’m very intrigued, and burning through my supply of Jack’s faster than expected.

2 Likes

Well I’m just starting to try it right now, but my plan is to mix it as:

2.5g Master Blend 4-18-38
2.4g calcium nitrate
2.3g Epsom

For veg, use magnesium nitrate 1:1 instead of Epsom. For transition, half magnesium nitrate, half epsom.

Then, just dilute to the correct EC. Maybe add 0.1g AgSil if you want silica.

4 Likes

Interesting. I’ll have to bust out the spreadsheet and do some comparisons in the morning.

I think one reason I didn’t try it before was that the K seemed pretty high for coco, but a few people seem to be having pretty good results, so it seems I might have to rethink that?

Here are some approximate elemental numbers for MB. Have not used it myself…yet.

Jacks…80 & 100%

10 Likes

Masterblend is actually VERY easily available for me! This is such a blessing. Super stoked to learn that! Peters/jacks/gaiagreen aint available here, believe me I’ve looked.

Cant wait to start my coco adventure following your guidelines.

Cheers guys!

6 Likes

That right there is enough to convince me to try a comparison. I’ve got two runs going right now, might run the Durban x Jungle Spice on a MasterBlend regimen while keeping my other tent on the Jack’s. Both are coco flood and drain setups with LED lighting. Should be informative, I think.

Just gotta figure out what ratios I want to run first.

3 Likes

My micro knowledge is non-existent. :baby:
Need to see if my local hydro hut has MB on the shelf.

Micro elements aside…
I like seeing MB has more Mg, and no Sulfer.

Jacks and Masterblend labels

4 Likes

MB has less magnesium and sulfur. Basically they leave Epsom out of the mix, which I think also makes it a better value because Epsom is cheap compared to the other components in the mix. That’s why you only need 2.5g, because the difference is in Epsom weight.

5 Likes

I see. Better to have it separate for mix flexibility.

The MB also has .5 of Ammoniacal N. Does anyone have insight on when and why to have more/less Ammoniacal type N?
Seems that soil nutes use more, hydro less/none.

3 Likes