Photo Periods or Autos that Is the question?

There was a guy on the mephisto reddit that swore you could stop autos from flowering with HST. He grew monsters.

Some auto lines get huge and take longer, like the ripleys from mephisto. Others are notoriously tiny and would probably be a bad idea to train, e.g. strawberry nuggets.

My hangup with autos is people are crossing the auto genes into photo lines (i.e. super autos). Its one thing to breed the dank into ruderalis, but I’m concerned about the ruderalis tarnishing the dank. I loathe a future where everything is a 30/30/30 hybrid… lol

Edit to add: im concerned there are or will be breeders working with autos to reduce flower times and not being 100% open about it if at all

5 Likes

Brand new super super autos!

They germinate in the envelope before you get them!

Ready in 15 days!

5 Likes

I just gotta say that you are absolutely right about giving autos 20 hours of light. @ReikoX just now posted that on my thread. This is valuable information

3 Likes

I’m being optimistic, it remains to be seen if they’ll finish or not. They sure as hell won’t fit in my tents. :joy:

Whoa 20 hours of of light the whole time?

2 Likes

My last autos I left running 24/7 lights on from seed to harvest just for a test and it worked out just fine. As for topping, I would not chance it unless you knew the strain well. Problem with autos is if they are not timed right you can hurt your results by say topping if they don’t heal before they start to flower. Now I do have a buddy that cloned one just for the hell of it and that went surprisingly well also. In the end it’s still just a pot plant without the need for light cycle change. Just have to know your strain and it’s normal time lines if you want to start pushing the envelope with them.

3 Likes

Wonder what would happen if you kept pinching the flowers off to bulk them up like you do with basil?

I do both. I run the photo and fill in with autos. I have to maintain a set number and mixing the two helps me do it.
Also I love growing and I find the flowing time of photos plain BORING. I like the fast growing and turn over, I can grown more varieties that way.
:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

That’s some big ass autos,I’ve
Grown some big ones never like that,where you get the beans from

1 Like

I’ve grown both autos and photos ,I’ve been growing just autos full steam over
A year now I’ve had my ups
And downs with them from monster plants to tiny ass plants and I mean tiny ,

Doing a photo grow this time have a couple of autos going as well just for a quick harvest…

But I won’t be growing as
Many autos anymore

3 Likes

Curious why?? Right now autos amaze me but I’ve only been dealing with them for 2 months. I’m sure in a year you learn quite a bit more considering their short turnaround time. So tell me why the decision not to grow many autos after growing them for a year. I’m sure you’ve seen the downsides that I haven’t yet

These are Flash seeds “Jamaica berry” a 3 pack I got from seedsman. Supposed to be a rasta sativa x blueberry auto.

1 Like

Way to
Many small plants last 2 harvests,not worth my time,this is what I’ve found out from growing autos.the key is to get good genetics don’t buy from shitty seed banks,they send you these tiny ass little black seeds

this is a 12 week old plant lol Should of binned these but it’s pretty interesting to see how them turn out sometimes for such small plants comple waste of time and energy I think I like to punish myself…
Only autos I’ll be growing now is choice genetics ,no more of these shitty little seed banks

4 Likes

All im saying is real estate is precious post covid.

Dang man, no wonder! If my autos looked like that, I wouldn’t look at em a second time… These are the unknown autos from PSB:

And these are Blackberry and Black Cream from seedsman:

Clearly I was fortunate! Even on the unknown autos… Damn, now ya got me wondering if they are that unpredictable, or ??? I have some more Black Creams on the way, and plan to reverse one and make a run of seeds, so I guess time will tell…

But dang man… If that was my first exposure to autos, I would never have looked at em a second time…

5 Likes

Nice plants ,
Like I said my auto experience has been a roller coaster ride from monster plants out growing my tents to that photo lol…

I still have a shit load of auto seeds strains I’ve made and traded for…but I’m trying to get my photo grow started all my plants so far have been males lol, so I’m kinda behind at the minute I do have a couple of autos growing just incase lol

1 Like

Like someone said earlier indoors they can be pretty good.

Two WW’s and a SourD

7 Likes

And this is why I shouldn’t grow. ROFLMAO. Or… Maybe I just gotta get investors together and scale up. Because when I do photos, I wanna keep moms. Lots of moms. Variety. And I wouldn’t mind a few dads to donate at times. Loved being able to trim the ladies because they are so bushy, toss in 36 cuttings in the cloner, and forgetting about em. No rush to pot em up at the time, and but the time you were ready, so were they. I have a few future photo moms going at the moment, Grandaddy Purple, Purple Haze from ilgm, WW, Pineapple Express II, Alaskan Purple and Blueberry from seedsman so far, just little ladies.

Like I said before… 1 tent becomes 2. 2 tents become a 10x10 room. a 10x10 room becomes 2 x 10x10 rooms. I know how this goes! Now if the dog would stop accumulating vet bills, maybe I could do that! LOL

These are my photo ladies:

I did put some panda film on the concrete floor to the right. That concrete was just wicking the water right outta the fabric pots that were directly on it.

3 Likes

just had 2 vet bills last week myself lol know how that goes
I only grow for myself my wife or most of my friends don’t smoke,my friend gave me a bag of weed this morning someone gave it to him lol,
I grow 5-6 plants a grow which is plenty for me,I have 2 tents and a very understanding wife lol,

Was trying out some seeds I had traded to see what’s up all them turned out to be males that was 8 plants in the bin,I have 3 ak-47 just waiting to see what sex they are,I’m never trading female seeds for regular seeds again

I don’t know what strain this bag of weed is but it’s pretty smelly and strong,rolled a joint took the dogs For a walk,was walking like an old lady on the walk back home lol

10 Likes

For people in northern climates with shorter grow periods, autos make perfect sense, like putting out some determinate tomatoes. I don’t grow outdoors, so I haven’t planted any yet. There’s no gaps left in my space that I would need an auto to fill.

2 Likes