Phototrons...SWC/TRON

Nice! I’ve wanted to do some good outdoor but haven’t been able to do much besides a few hidden around yard because of no cover(legal in Michigan but not supposed to be visible and I live right on main drag through village.

2 Likes

I just saw this this morning at Menards and it would be perfect for your your Phototron for some supplementing lighting bromigo…Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Dude, I appreciate you thinking of me. I am working on making a light array. I have ordered all the parts and am just getting them together. there is a guy on another forum who is a lighting guru. Once I have it put together I will let you know if it was worth it. I have shown him the lights you are pointing me to and he feels that we can do a lot better. Though the price you are paying is hard to beat. Mine will be about $75. when complete. But, a huge bang for the buck. Custom.

The other thing I am working on at this point is sprouting seeds. I have my 30 year old seeds on paper towels. So far, none have popped. I have some good fresh ones coming in the mail. Thats my back up. I really has hoping to get something out of my stash.
I need to start a journal. Should I do it on this forum?

2 Likes

I want you to remember when you’re doing your lighting upgrade that this is a container and you dont want to be building up way too much heat from your new lighting systems & ballasts… you can just start your own thread if you want…I’m just waiting for my damn imported Chicago tap water to get here, as soon as I get it I’m gonna start posting on this thread…I will be growing my Matanuska Thunder Head strain just to see how I did breeding wise…

1 Like

I am thinking that I will mount the ballast on the outside to avoid heat. I am not sure if the balast is the heat source or the lights.

Saw these at Menards today

6 Likes

Surprise! I’ve been lurking in the background. I’m interested to see how well that garage light works. I was thinking of making a space bucket with one for small breeding projects.
Can’t wait to see your project all set up.

Finally, my imported Chicago tap was delivered yesterday. Now all I have to do is pull out my big Phototron, its buried behind a bunch of junk because I haven’t used it in 2.5 yrs. As of now I’m only using my small Phototron as a mother/clone chamber. I’m gonna put my Matanuska Thunder Head in the SWC/TRON. I should have it going by the end of this wknd. bromigos…

8 Likes

Well, I got my SWC/TRON out and ready for this wknd. but I have 1 issue, I’m totally out of my flowering mix so I ordered more from Amazon and should be here by next week…I do have enough veg nutes to start my SWC/TRON this weekend.
I know that they stop making Green Fuse Growth & Bloom nutrients probably 10 years ago so now I have to find an alternative…hopefully the Technaflora flora kit has what I need.

5 Likes

Materials I use for my SWC/TRON grows…these materials are well over 10yrs. old except the white square foam and I will be using a new air stone…My old Wally world aquarium pump is still working so I’m gonna use that too.

These are the big Phototrons and it’s about 51" tall…the small P-trons are about 39" tall.

As I said I will be using an old dish pan, net cup, air hose and this old pink foam insulation as the top for my dish pan.

The white foam will be used to hold the clone in place…I don’t use lava rocks anymore or those round clay things in my net cups…nothing but net folks.

These are my homemade strains that I will be using for my outdoor and SWC/TRON grows this year…I will be growing my Matanuska Thunder Head strain for this SWC/TRON grow.

5 Likes

Ok, change of plans…I just remembered that I use the white shallow dish pan for my small Phototrons and this bigger black pan for the big Phototrons…on the smaller Phototrons the plant won’t get as tall and big so the white shallow pan should be sufficient enough. On the big Phototrons the plant can/will get bigger and taller, over 3ft. tall so you’re gonna need the bigger pan for the root system.

I won’t be using the garage light just yet and I also have a heat mat for vegetables on the bottom of my big Phototron. This SWC/TRON will be in an unheated mud room in the back of my house with a cement floor.
I might need to use my heat mat so the water won’t get too cold during the grow.

Here she is ready to be fired up, all it needs now is my MTH clone, imported Chicago water and my premixed veg nutes. Btw, that hole by the edge of the cover is a service hole for adding nutes and water. I don’t think I will be using my automatic feed a tron for this grow because I don’t plan on going anywhere. I will be using it on the next grow because we will be going camping for a week or 2 during the warm weather.

5 Likes

Well it’s a done deal and no turning back now…I just fired up my big SWC/TRON at noon today. I used a clone that was in soil and after washing off the soil it was good to go…I also took 2 of my smallest cuttings from my cloner and put them in the SWC/TRON. I will not be growing the small clones in this grow, I just want them to get bigger then I will pull them out.

I’m really excited growing this new strain…I sure hope that my Matanuska Thunder Head is at least very good and worth keeping.

9 Likes

And we’re off. Looking good. What’s the benefit of the lights like that? Full plant coverage? Do they seem to stay shorter? You ever find yourself running out of room?
It looks pretty awesome tho.:+1:

2 Likes

Full coverage, on big Phototrons plants can get big, don’t really run outa room with a lil training…plant below was grown in a big SWC/TRON…got to about 3ft+ tall and a lil over 3.5 is. bromigo…

6 Likes

@JustSumTomatoes, have you ever seen these plants? Looks like half Pitcher Plant & half Venus Fly Trap…Can carnivorous plants be cloned.

7 Likes

Nepenthes! They are actually a huge genus and new species are discovered by western culture just by hiking on a unexplored mountain every year. Many different species and hybrids. There are people who only grow those and nothing else. I have one myself but won’t dive any deeper with them cause they’re just too expensive and exotic for me. They are Asian pitcher plants, but unrelated to the North American ones I grow. Genetically, they are closer to orchids than other carnivorous plants.

4 Likes

How expensive can they be? Are they easy to take care of? If I were to get a pitcher plant I would get that. Can carnivorous plants be cloned?

3 Likes

Mine above is a cut of Nepenthes x deroose alata. It’s a cross between Nepenthes alata and Nepenthes ventricosa. This hybrid is called Nepenthes x ventrata. It’s practically bullet proof. Same with N. x miranda, another hardy asian pitcher. Nepenthes are like cannabis… They’re dioecious and have 2 separate sexes so there are people involved with crazy breeding projects for them too. Prices can range from $15-30 dollars for one like mine to hundreds or thousands for rare species and new hybrids. There are more species of them than any other carnivorous plant genus and they are the largest carnivorous plant. Some can vine 50 feet or more up into the trees. They also tend to have 2 different types of pitchers: ground pitchers and hanging pitchers. And yes, CP’s can be cloned. Flytrap clones/cultivars are my particular kick at the moment.

1 Like

N. bicalcarata (not a vampire)

N. lowii (the living toilet bowl)

N. ventricosa (another easy to grow one)

N. ampullaria (a vegetarian carnivorous plant)

6 Likes

A week later not much growth, looks like the growth has stalled…I think it’s a little too cold in my mud room so I’m gonna have to move this SWC/TRON, that means emptying the bucket or figure something out. The SWC/TRON is directly on the cement floor…I also ordered an aquarium heater but wont arrive till the 3.20.21…I did get my nutes though and also saw a new light on sale for $15 at Menards.

5 Likes