Plants do communicate

This is really interesting and thought I’d share.

6 Likes

Hmm, interesting. Theory being cavitation as the source of the ultrasonic emissions.

Time to start listening?

Link to the pre-published study:

5 Likes

Ooooh, there’s so many different ways they communicate too. I’ll flood the thread with good stuff when I get a minute.

For example, they communicate through Jasmonic Acid too. When a predator takes a nibble off a leaf it’s emitted into the air, and when the other plants smell it, they increase their SAR. Wtf does it stand for again… (Something) Activated Resistance? Systemic? Doesn’t sound right… Idk. i’ll google it.
There’s parasitic wasps that know the smell, and go looking for the source because they know it means food.

(Addendum: Systemic Aquired Resistance.)

7 Likes

Here is a similar thread which may be of interest.

4 Likes

I believe you meant Jasmonates, more so, than Jasmonic acid.

Jasmonates are a class of plant hormones that have the ability to respond to any wounding of the plant tissue by acting on gene expression and slowing down growth and redirecting metabolism to produce defense molecules and repair the damage.

Jasmonic acid is a natural lipid that regulates seed germination, seed growth and root development, embryo formation, flower development, fruit ripening, leaf senescence and gravitropism.

1 Like

Ahhh. Good looks. Yeah, didn’t realize methyl jasmonates and jasmonic acid are different compounds.