Please help cooking with bubble hash. Question:

I have been collecting 73 micron for smoking, but all the other grades I have been saving for cooking.
It is still frozen in a little bit of water in the freezer(straight from the wet bubble bags to the freezer). What I have been doing, is taking some out, and grating it using cheese grater on to cardboard, and letting it dry for three or four days, then weighing it, and then cooking it in a crockpot for 12 hours in olive oil. I put a meat thermometer in there so it beeps at me when it gets to 150C so that I can come stir it, or turn it off for a while to reduce the heat, so it doesn’t go above 165C(i have been under the impression that I should not cook above that.) I think if leave it alone and don’t stir it, the temperature gets to 175C in my crockpot on the low setting.
Should I really be doing this, or should I not care about it getting to 175C, and just let it be at 175C?

I’m about to start cooking in coconut MCT fat, but I have so much of this frozen cooking hash, that my fingers start to freeze, and it is a ton of work to grate all this onto the cardboard.
Is it effective to just throw the bubble hash that is in water in the freezer, straight into the coconut MCT in the crockpot, and then separate the oil from the little bit of water later after I am finished cooking? Or will the hash not be broken up enough to have a good surface area?
I was thinking to save time and energy, I’d just throw it all in the crockpot with the coconut fat, and start smashing it vigorously with a lot with a potato smasher or a wisp on the bottom thoroughly, then separate any water after it cools, and the fat congeals. There must be a better way than what I have been doing… Thanks for your time.

3 Likes

@JoeCrowe has a thread here on it. i think that was where i got the idea to chunk it up and put it in the freezer to dry it. the thread said to always break it up in small chunks before going in to allow it to dry in a week. it may not be this thread but it’s out there. i haven’t tried it yet though.

2 Likes

You can just throw the frozen chunk in and whatever water is in there will separate or steam off during the heating process. You can also throw the frozen hash into a jar and bake it to decarb the hash. Then you simply melt it into whatever oil you want and it’s ready to go immediately. I bake my hash and stir it right into melted dark chocolate, works perfectly.

2 Likes

Decarb it in the coconut oil, the water will evaporate…

1 Like

I would just grate it and put it in the oven at 300 for a half hour. Then mix with fat later.

Lots of ways.

2 Likes

You can just add the hash to your batter and bake it in. That works, too.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the responses. It would take half a day to grate all this. This makes life so much easier…

1 Like

I am still perplexed by the range of information even in this day and age, and why it is so difficult to find an answer on this temperature topic. I typed in ‘max cannabis oil infusion temperatures’ and ‘boiling points of cannabinoids’ and get very different answers from the all these results on the first pages.

some people are saying never cook over 140/284FC, and that’s gotta be bull, because I cooked at 160C/320 for 12 hours, and made better stuff than i made cooking at 140C/284F for three hours. I thought the boiling point was 165/329 for THC, and I get all kinds of crazy answers on the internet. varying from 140/284F-179C/354F…

Will it really degrade my infusion if I cook for 12 hours instead of 3 hours, or will it just extract and infuse more if i cook longer?

Is 170C/338F too hot to infuse, or what is the real ideal temperature for infusing in coconut mCT?

just for reference, and not condoning these dudes or promoting this stuff, but these are a few of the links I looked at:

12 hours is a long time. My decarb/infusion is done in an hour and a half.

1 Like

Alright, cool. If I try to do shorter cooking times, that makes it much easier for me to control the temperature and try to keep it really low like these recipes call for. I guess I’ll try to keep it between 80C-120C/176F-248 while stirring and smashing in the crockpot.
This method will save me calories and time galore compared to my previous method…
You guys really are awesome. It is very nice to get actual input from a human being instead just reading all kinds of different web pages. Sometimes things just don’t make sense, and you can ask things specifically here, and get some really nice insights, and inspiration.

I was able to keep the temperature at 73-80C/163.4F-176F for 2.5hours. I ran into a couple of problems.

There is no information available anywhere that I can find, on the maximum you can use in an infusion before your fat becomes over-saturated with cannabinoids. The only information that I can find online is that a 1:1 gram to ounce ratio of material to fat, is very strong. I used 205grams in 1500grams of coconut fat, something like a 3.8:1 ratio. It still is difficult for me to believe that you could put 100pounds of hash into a stick of butter, so I think I just haven’t run into anybody who knows yet.

The other problem is, it is impossible to filter out all this bad-tasting hash from my infusion after it is finished cooking. I put a cotton t-shirt into a strainer sitting in a big glass bowl, and the hash immediately clogged up the shirt so it would not drip. Usually I would use diaper cloth, not cheese cloth, but I figured the hash would drip straight out, being finely ground. I had to squeeze and twist the t-shirt, then in the last bit, big globs of the hash squeezed through the holes of the t-shirt. I poured the rest through the strainer, and put the bowl in the fridge. Now I got the top half a bowl of excellent looking fat, and the bottom part looks very dark, and I suspect it won’t be delicious… I wonder if anybody has figured out how to filter powder-fine raw material out of the infusions?

This is surprising my hash infusion has a lovely hash taste.

what about all the leftover hash stuff. the actual material that is sitting in the bottom of the oil? that too? i remember taking a spoonful of eating it and thinking it tasted like chalk or mud.

1 Like

Your mileage may vary but this is what I would do.

Chop up hash very fine. Add it and butter to vacuum bag. Seal bag. Boil for 40 minutes. Bake cookies at 300 for 11 minutes and you’re done.

1 Like

Very fine. Like powder. If it tastes bad maybe you’re using subpar hash?

1 Like

ah very nice, you kinda sous vide the thing then bake it, after…
Yes, it could be the extracted hash I tasted from the bottom of the infusion last time wasn’t the best, just what I have to work with though. Is it so that usually guys don’t try to filter the extracted hash out of the infusion, and instead try to eat it?

I am using a mixture of all the grades except 73micron from many extractions. some are tinted green, some look tan and beige.

This time i was happy to pour the thing out of the crockpot and into a high powered blender, after the potato smasher and wisp did not satisfy me, because I think surface area, much stirring, gives better absorption. I chopped it as fine as I could. perhaps the top half of the bowl can be used for eating pure, the high quality, and the bottom half of the bowl could be for use in baking or something other cooking.

I got some pictures to share of this journey. too.

Sous vide bake correct.

Don’t even try to filter. Just chop it up so fine it incorporates.

Dosing with hash is hard. I find a 0.1 to be acceptable.

1 Like

Also make blondies not brownies because the hash flavour really comes through.

1 Like

I’ll test your method soon if I can. That seems a lot cleaner in the bag. My favorite tool this time was the washing machine. when you get this fat on things, it is not so fun to try smearing it all over the place with dish soap and brushes. hahaha

I had to look up what blondies are. I will certainly keep the dark part of this bowl for myself, and try to make some blondies out of it! Thanks again for you. This experience wouldn’t be the same otherwise. This is a great learning experience for me, and it sure is fun too… We’re getting better all the time!

Your very welcome. Just don’t overthink it and you’ll do fine. Even overnight in a crockpot will work fine it just won’t be as clean.

1 Like