PNG-Papua New Guinea Pics from various growers

You’re very patient…looks like it will be worth the wait!

1 Like

The PNG “auto” was grown from seed from the collection of seeds brought back from Papua.
I’m not any kind of cannabis expert, but I can tell you is all the other PNG continued vegging while one plant flowered while in the same tent and same pot sizes.
I did know that PNG was a rare strain because of its location and its dangerous reputation towards travelers. So I felt it was important to get a crop of viable seeds in the hands of experienced sativa growers, which I was able accomplish.

10 Likes

I’m so glad you, and then Diggy after you, spread the love. In really excited to dive into these. Top 3 sativas I want to run. This “auto” trait intrigues me. Does it clone? Can you keep it in veg w/24hrs light? Be interesting to plant an auto pheno( clone) in very large pots and see what happens, compared to smaller pots.
I’ve been pondering this “auto” trait. Why would a plant morph into auto? Up North, with Ruderalis, plants have to flower with long days or they die before making seed, so the answer is obvious. Why would a tropical plant Autoflower? That is the question. Or maybe “why not” is, lol.
Since these plants are not autos, but really look like one, I suggest fauxto period ( photoperiod) as a name, half seriously.

2 Likes

The semi auto or what ever we call it clones very well as does all of the PNG I had.
A grower named Tobe is an autoflower grower and the “auto” PNG I sent him flowered in 24/0 lighting. Tobe had both Males and Females flowering in 24/0
This is his quote from another forum: “The first auto PNG show sex under 24/0 it’s very interesting to grow them , I hope to find a early girl too and make some fresh seeds to share. @KRK it’s a not a autoflower like we know , I can’t wait to do the first test crosses, I know you are a true autoflower lover so I thought I tag you again my friend.
The expert cannabis growers have said tropical sativas often have semi-auto traits.

4 Likes

Hi Romanoweed, I asked a sativa breeder about my experience with PNG and this was his response: “Sounds your PNG line behaves a bit like pure Zamal does, they are very tropical and long flowering sativas, but they tend to autoflower once they are sexually mature and they feel rootbound in small pots indoors, even with long photoperiods, i like to call these type of strains semi autoflowering, as they are not fully autoflowering since clones can be kept indoors for long term (not without trouble) but they show some kind of autoflowering tendencies under the mentioned conditions.

4 Likes

that brings a awesome new Dimension to tropical Strains. If you think over it, it would make totally Sense that tropicals dont repond to Photoperiod cause there is no real difference, or Reason for them to flower if sun mooves so slightly to North and south. There is no real Winter that creates the Need in the Plants to hurry and finish . AND now to the Sensemaking: there might be a need for the tropicals to hurry and finish if the Rootspace runs out. Or if they llive at a place at equator that gets droughts.

It makes totally sense in such Cases, if that occured in the Anchestry of a Line , the Line felt the Need to finish in such lifethreatning Cicumstances. Cause the pattern i see, is a Plant ever finding ways to allow for the highest survival-chances. And be they different survival-reactions, Photosentive flowering trigger / Droughtsensitive Floweringtrigger.
And we might be blended cause most of the equatorial Places probably dont fulfill these circumstances (drought /minimal rootspace), but some couple places like Papuaguinea fullfill them in some cases. It might be more of a poor soil that could caused it at first at origin, but your college kind of imitated poor soil trough limited rootspace.

To good if its true.
That could also describe how a trustful member once managed to keep a Thai in Flower, wich he planted in february, he said it went into flower when nights still longer, but continued flower even when days increased. It was the only time i heard someone telling this about equatorial genetics (not indica).
It seems pretty rare to discover semi-auto traits in those, and should be further checked. If a slight rootbound, or simply drought does it… It gives the opportunity for outdoorgrowers

6 Likes

Current Outdoor Grow from buddy PNG x Asian Beauty
Grown in American SW. Looks like she’ll be done very soon.

24 Likes

PNG x Tom Hill Haze 16 weeks

17 Likes

PNG x THH harvested at 17 weeks. Pepper smell at harvest but now mellowing into a light floral.

21 Likes

i am here at New guinea and I had been planning to grow my own but i dont have enough technical know how or experience in growing.

if you can help me with the technical stuff, i can certainly help you in sourcing new guinea gold materials here.

7 Likes

Great to see people getting into the PNG gold.

Always been tempted to go on a journey to our nearest neighbour to find a few choice strains.

Looks delicious! Great work people

4 Likes

Just keep reading and asking questions! Lots of light, fertiliser and some nice volcanic soil will get you on the path to success

:wink:

2 Likes

I might have mentioned this before in this thread, but they are all photoperiod. By the accepted definition of “autoflower” there are no autoflowering Papua New Guinea’s.

It is not a trait you will be able to make truebreed, and neither can you transfer the trait to another line. @azure is mistaking a stress-trigger for an age-triggered flowering. We can consistently force any cannabis plants to flower through drought stress, too, but that doesn’t make them autoflowers, either.

5 Likes

You are very lucky to have volcanic soil. You will not have buy any additional soil amendments. you can make them with the raw materials all around you. How far are you from the coast? Take a trip to the beach and collect a jug of ocean water and seaweed. You will not need much seaweed, just two hand fulls. Take the seaweed, dry it on the rocks in the sun, near your home. When the sea weed is dry, grind up the seaweed. If you can get a blender, pulverize the seaweed in a blender. It will chop it into a powder. (If you don’t have a blender, grind the seaweed between a flat stone surface and a small rock in your hand. Put some music on or listen to a podcast. Take your thoughts out of the task, it can do it.) You will now have kelp powder. You will want to sprinkle 1 cup for each 3 feet deep of soil. Fermenting jackfruit or chopped bamboo, as well as fermented rice will create a healthy biological bacteria culture in the soil. Of course, you will make your fermented bacteria culture separate from your soil mixture to control the dosage.
The ocean water will be used for the first 30 days to activate the minerals in the soil… I don’t know how advanced your gardening skills are, put I can send you a PM with more details. REMEMBER, you are on an island - you already have everything that you need.

6 Likes

We discussed this “auto flowering” in Nov 2020.
Sounds your PNG line behaves a bit like pure Zamal does, they are very tropical and long flowering sativas, but they tend to autoflower once they are sexually mature and they feel rootbound in small pots indoors, even with long photoperiods, i like to call these type of strains semi autoflowering, as they are not fully autoflowering since clones can be kept indoors for long term (not without trouble) but they show some kind of autoflowering tendencies under the mentioned conditions.
Your arrogance is a bit annoying and I’m not the first to notice it. Too bad Hush gave them to a prick like you.

Lol. You’re asserting a line is autoflowering after growing what, three seeds?
And I’m the arrogant one? :rofl: :rofl:

It’s all love, brother.

(addendum; I hate that prick is used in a derogatory manner, just because I’m saying something that makes you feel bad. It’s not my job to make you feel good about yourself, so my being a prick isn’t really on the same level as you outright lying to people – it is absolutely your job to accurately represent the genetics you spread.)

2 Likes

Outright lying? haha You’re a total forum prick. Maybe you need to take a semester of remedial reading comprehension because we already addressed why people called it “autoflower.”
On other forums and this one, we discussed how this tropical sativa will tend to “autoflower” indoors when grown in small pots. So we called this pheno the “autoflower” and the description stuck.

Yes, like I said. Outright lying

Hey hypocrite, last summer you said: “They didn’t get put straight into flower when they reached sexual maturity, so at 30 weeks from germination they still needed a couple weeks. Knowing what I know now, my goal this next time around will be to see if I can’t find a few autoflowers.”
You referred to the PNG as autoflowers. Haha.
Now all of a sudden it’s lying! haha
If you or anyone else would like some “autoflower” phenos, let me know. I’ll still sending them out free of charge all around the world.
The plant preservation is more important than this squabble and your hypocrisy!
Blessings to All!

2 Likes

Your last response mentioned reading comprehension; if you don’t mind a little live practice.

This sentence shows two things. That I trusted your word that there were autoflowers to be found in the line; even tho I had seen with my own eyes, zero autoflowers in my previous grow.

I’ve since passed out literally tens of thousands of these seeds, have seen pictures of the progeny and gotten reviews of their growth.

The landrace team have a couple dozen seeds that you produced as we speak! Ask them their opinion on your claim that they autoflower. :rofl:

1 Like