PNG-Papua New Guinea Pics from various growers

for me it would be a releaf if just anything makes them flower.

Just heard lately of an Auto Thai, coming from Emerald.
HE asked who wants. HE also has Auto Laos.

They looked super fat, but i felt those were as collected. old 70s lines he said. One time reproduced in 2000 .

So, there seemes really to be an auto Thai, i heard of it 3 different times

2 Likes

A Pic of them:

14 Likes

Those donā€™t look pure at all.

1 Like

What are we looking at here? Is this a Goroka PNG?

1 Like

I wouldnt loaded it up if i wouldnt thought they could be as collected. Probably pure, why not? Or hempinfluenced, or pure

What constitutes as ā€œsemi-autoā€? It flowers abnormally early but doesnā€™t adhere to typical ruderalis flowering habits? Iā€™m really starting to think that is what my Mexican Red Hairs are. Popped the rest and threw them in my flower tent with the last two plants that were 2 weeks - 3 weeks out from finishing. I flipped them back to 18/6 last week and I brought the rest of my vegged plants in the tent and looked at all of them noticed this.

In my last run I chopped 3-4 females (of Red Hair) because I started off on Gas lantern light cycle but out of 3 strains they were the only ones that would not stay in veg and wouldnā€™t revert when I switched back or at least it was taking so long (3 weeks or more) I chopped them.

Edit: Of course this had me questioning the legitimacy of the genetics, then again I read that Red Hair is likely just an old school Mexican hybrid so who knows.

3 Likes

ā€œSounds your PNG line behaves a bit like pure Zamal does, they are very tropical and long flowering sativas, but they tend to autoflower once they are sexually mature and they feel rootbound in small pots indoors, even with long photoperiods, i like to call these type of strains semi autoflowering, as they are NOT fully autoflowering since clones can be kept indoors for long term (not without trouble) but they show some kind of autoflowering tendencies under the mentioned conditions.ā€

1 Like

Oooh, has she shown sex, yet? Is she pistillate!?

2 Likes

Yep, thatā€™s a goroka ladyā€¦ been flowering about 3 months now I think @Worcestershire_Farms .
Way Way Back I mentioned I was going to do the in and out thing with these this year. I started them that week. I say them, because I started with probably half a dozen sprouts or more. I had a heat mat under them, but didnā€™t have the seeds directly on the bottom of the container. My wife moved my set up on me and the play they were on came in direct contact with the tray that was on the heat mat and they cooked. This is the Survivor.

10 Likes

The Mexican red hair probably is an old hybrid with Afghani if I had to guess. Iā€™ve never heard of a pure Mexican doing this. My old Afghani also flowers with long light cycles in a small cup. If you transplant as soon as it begins flowering itā€™ll snap out of it, otherwise itā€™s difficult.
Semi-auto flower is the term some people have been using to describe plants without ruderalis genetics in them that flower under long light Cycles. Sometimes they appear to do this under duress only, while other varieties will do this even under good conditions. Specifically here we are talking about sativas, but Feral Afghan plants will do the same thing. There is no universally accepted name for this phenomenon

7 Likes

Heat matsā€¦ The problem with those heating mats is temperature variation, probably due to bad wiring. A temperature gun will help keep an eye on a bad heating mat.

1 Like

I chopped it at day 80 but it probably could have gone to 85-90 so whatever it is, itā€™s def sativa Dom.

Curing a cheat bud now and I get the pineapple smell I sometimes hear about in Mexicans but the hairs arenā€™t particularly ā€œredā€ are they? The bud itself has hues of red mixed in though. Anywho, I wonā€™t hijack this thread any longer, this is an interesting topic though. Was unaware that Afghans could do that.

14 Likes

Not a bad idea at all. I was just given a heat gun, I just need to find it . I think I need to keep a closer eye on my wife tho LOL. She never touches my stuff, except this time. Youā€™re right though, there are definitely hot spots. I may have figured out a good way to deal with that. I placed a ceramic plate on a thin piece of cardboard on top of the heat mat. And then I put an air stone underneath the ceramic plate so that only one corner of the plate is in contact with the cardboard. Seems to be working great. Placing a sponge on the bottom of the container works great too. It doesnā€™t get hot at all.

3 Likes

Yeah I donā€™t see any red in there. Itā€™s best just to get rid of it all. Send me a private message and Iā€™ll give you my address lol. Iā€™ll force myself to smoke it for youšŸ˜
All joking aside, that is very nice looking!
More than likely the red hair is a phenotype that doesnā€™t show up in every plant. I bet if you grew more of them you would find one thatā€™s really red. I think the Mexican red hair always was a first-generation hybrid. An original land race was crossed only one time with an indica, and the local genetics predominate the hybrid. Some of the best hybrids of all time were first generation hybrids. It certainly looks worthy of more exploration. Those buds look nice and Potent! Pretty colors too!
Edit. I think I would call those hairs red actually.

4 Likes

:joy: sound advice

I actually popped the rest of them so 4 more, two are males for sure but the other two havenā€™t shown sex yet which is good. I did some research and there is a Mexican Red Hair Auto out there, wondering if thatā€™s what I got. Either way, Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll come up with something interesting whether itā€™s an old afghan hybrid or not. Iā€™ll update in the Central/South American strains thread from now on.

3 Likes

PNG finished in ~23 weeks
really, really nice smoke

16 Likes

Hereā€™s Ace Panama x PNG

13 Likes

Two Panama x PNG clones soaking up some sun before they get transplanted into the native ground.

14 Likes

Should be a very interesting cross.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a PNG male I grew back in 2018 in Sonoma County, CA

As far as Auto, thats a known trait with sativas to start flowering when rootbound.
I had one sativa trigger super early in May even though it was planted in the ground and that was Sinai landrace. Though it triggered early, it did not finish til Au/Sept, so I consider that semi-auto because it triggered early but did not finish early.

Great thread, Azure

12 Likes