-Durban 99 Mix

Demeter Genetics
-Tahoe BX
-Garanimals x Tahoe
-Galactic Jack x Tahoe
-Bloogies
-Bloogies x Tahoe Chem
-Bloogies CBD

Right now I have 11/11 Golden Nugget germinated and popped as seedlings.

Started 12/25 of the C99 Mix on Friday, Oct. 20th. UPDATE: 12/12 failed to germ.
Started 13/25 of the C99 Mix on Tues., Oct. 24th. UPDATE: 9/13 up so far.
Started 7/7 Bloogies on Tues, Oct. 24t. UPDATE: Bloogies 6/7 up so far.

Recording all my growing in my journal and posting the entries here if anyone’s interested. Going through all these seeds this winter looking for moms, going clone crazy this spring in preparation of 2018 legalization in Canada. I plan to supply hardened clones and teens to locals here.

14 Likes

Oct. 22nd, 2017
Growing 11/11 Golden Nugget seeds from Greenpoint Seeds. Some interesting shit with these seeds. A bit of knowledge I picked up last year came in handy today. First, the pics of then ten Golden Nugget rockin’ it. This is their growth by day five, counted since the seeds first touched water (Oct. 17th).

Under 8-bulb T5 flourescent, all 6500k @ 5" since sowing.
Ran approx. 72 hours straight (until all 11 had emerged
& received a full day's light together), then switched to 16/8.

I ordered 10 seeds and received 11. Cool. Above are 10 of them, all thriving. Well the 11th is in a struggle for life because of a mix up on the way out of the seed, even though every seed was planted the same way together…

Story Time: Point Down, Crater Up
Seeds which fell with pointy ends were better able and more likely to penetrate soil and nestle into the earth safely all winter; the rounder ones that stayed closer to the surface with less insulation died off to the elements. The crater on the opposite end of the seed is like a rainwater cachement system; seeds with this characteristic were better able to take on water in the spring time and begin life. Therefore, the seeds with a genetic disposition to be shaped pointy on one end and have a crater on the other side were more likely to survive, begin life, and ultimately reproduce. This why modern Cannabis seeds and many other seeds look this way, and why they should be planted pointy-end down, crater-end up. So the story goes.

…the poor thing got confused; up was down; down was up, air was earth; earth was air, light was water; water was light. I came upon the little one with its taproot about 3mm above the soil surface, germinated completely upside down out the wrong side of the seed. At first I thought a cutworm or a snail or slug or some little asshole had chopped its head off before I even got a peak. But none of those insects are anywhere near my gardens (knock sound on e-wood), so that idea fleeted in about a half-second. Looking closely, I could see a white, slight crescent tip emerging from the soil, the top 5-10% of that tip was browning from the overhead lights and air, and I immediately recognized it as a taproot. Dramatic music began. I pulled it out from under the light. My heart throbbed–buh-dum—buh-DUM----BUH-DUM! I reached for my spray bottle and applied an emergency local anesthetic light misting, then yelled for a couple of shishkabob skewers, which my nurse promptly handed me. Then I began work like the fully medicated ER surgeon I was in that moment.

So yeah, I turned it over. Planted it taproot-down, seed (still enclosed in casing) up. A few hours later it shed the shell and I could clearly see two cotyledons. I was relieved. I went on with my life. Tides came and went. Moons passed. Naps and snacks were had.

When I returned, the cotyledons were still closed. Why had they not opened? By now they should have opened and began photosynthesis. Hmm. I considered getting a razor blade or a pin and trying to manually open the still-stuck-together cotyledons. But gardening principle number one is LITFA. So I waited. I observed.

The next day it had still not developed. The cotyledons were still stuck together, only the underside of one visible, completely level with the soil surface and unmoved in over 24 hours. More worrisome was the fact that the very tip of the underside of the one cotyledon which was visible, was beginning to turn brown. I observed and re-evaluated. In quiet, a fact I learned years ago came to my mind:

A seed contains all the energy required to begin life as a seedling. The seed is what supplies this energy. Once the seedling emerges and has light, it has it’s own energy source and drops the seed casing. Actually, it’s more accurate to say that the seed casing automatically drops after a certain period of time, and that during this period of time it is crucial for the seedling to find light. Because without a source of energy, there is no growth.

So I realized what had happened. Or at least, I formed a narrative which explained all combined observations I had made into one coherent context: The seedling tried to come out the wrong side of the seed casing. When this happened, it severed it’s own connection to its seed casing by breaking the tissues connecting it. The timing worked out so that it broke itself right before its cotyledons could open, and with not even a speck of light reaching a single chloroplast of those sealed-away cotyledons, no photosynthesis had occurred in the first 24 hours of life, and thus no growth. The seedling was simply sitting there like a harvested plant, what life it had slowly dwindling away.

So I did something I hate to do. I touched a seedling. I gently touched it and it fell over on its side. It wasn’t even in the soil. The entire thing was just two small, immature, stuck-together cotyledons, and one bent, 2cm tap root. It looked like a walking cane, the handle of which were two stuck-together cotyledons. It hadn’t moved at all. It was just sitting there, surrounded by moisture, being preserved in a slow death like a clam on ice.

I got a razor blade and a pin. I used the razor blade to make a small, 1mm incision on the side of the cotyledons, just big enough for a pin to enter. I gently inserted the pin, slowly massaging it from right above the meristem, out toward to the leaf tips, slowly prying the cotyledons apart. Now physically forced open, the two leaves were still stuck together in that twisted shape, clinging to each other in a morbid mutual smothering of one another, only now with a very tiny, practically imperceptible air gap between them. I used my fingertips to gently pry the leaves open about 30°, and held them open like that under the light for a couple minutes. Then I let them go, and they curled back into their closed position. But I knew they had received some light energy in that short time, so I just covered the laying-sideways, dried and withered and twisted taproot with a bit of soil, like tucking it in under a blanket, and moistened.

Here it is two days later, very slowly figuring shit out after a traumatic start to life:

9 Likes

Wicked. Came home, like seven or eight of eleven have already sprouted their second set of leaves. They’re pretty miniscule and hard to make out in the photo. Tried for awhile, but I couldn’t get a better picture.

5 Likes

The others like this one continue to grow their second set of true leaves and develop roots. Roots have reached bottom of 3.5″x3.5″ pots and have begun to spread outwards from tap root, lateral roots visible on bottom of soil between 1/4″ and 2″ radius from taproot. Extremely fibrous fine root hairs and evidence of widespread mycorrhizal associations.

Raw steel cut oats in the mix attract a green mold (likely pathogenic; pictured below) to consume them. Also in the mix are many white molds. This grows on the soil surfaces which make contact with the inside of the pots, as well as on top of the soil in moist (unplanted) pots kept in low light. These spores were most likely introduced through the unpasteurized deer manure I used in the mix. Absolutely no dampening off has been observed in any Cannabis or Calendula, nor any other plant in this mix. (Aloe, Garlic, Carrots, Peas, Jumping Jacks)

I’ve been especially diligent in maintaining moisture around the little runt from earlier. Remember, just the other day I saw this thing’s 2cm, twisted and gnarled, light and oxygen damaged root tip flip right out of the soil. It had been planted the same as every other seed (point down, crater up), but the taproot got confused and decided to emerge from the wrong end of the seed. Instead of cracking open the bottom of the seed and going into the soil, it got turned around inside and cracked open the top of the seed, going up into the air. But when it went through it’s own seed like that, it severed it’s own energy supply. So it’s cotyledons were stuck closed for over 24 hours with no energy to open them and begin photosynthesis. And once the tips of the cotyledons began to turn brown, I had to surgically intervene yesterday, cutting and prying open the two cotyledons so they could receive light and growth could continue.

7 Likes

Well, I’ve put a lot of work into this journal over the last week or so, and I’m having fun taking photos and sharing my grow experience. Hope I can keep it all organized so future growers who are interested can learn about these specific strains and how they grow. Especially since I intend to take daily photos of every strain’s growth, as well as any variations in pheno (growth-pattern wise), and then compile the logs by strain, complete with timelapse showing seed grow to mother, then follow that mother as she produces a batch of clones, then goes outside to flower with most of her daughters. Type of thing.

Anyways, I started the whole thing because of the growroom diaries threads here on overgrow and I wanted to contribute. But once I got into the logistics of what I wanted to do with my journal and the way I wanted it to be expressed (this thing is a creative endeavor for me, very fun), I realized a blog-style format may work better. I’ve used Blogger and Tumblr a lot in the past for other projects, and this time I wanted to try to learn Wordpress. So that’s what I’m using.

But unfortunately right now my posts are being automatically flagged as spam, which is understandable because I just tried to post a week’s worth of grow logs in like ten minutes. But I’m just trying to get caught up, so that from here on out I can update this post and the blog and my facebook page simultaneously.

Also, it’s worth noting that I have slightly different content on my Facebook page, my Wordpress, and these posts. These posts are centered around the specific strains and their growth. Wordpress is that, plus poetry and extra experiments + non Cannabis gardening projects as well. Facebook is to promote the Wordpress site, but I create original Facebook posts to share the recipes or DIY projects that I do myself. All three have slightly different content, so I hope no one feels like they’re getting sloppy-seconds grow logs. Because this website and the Growroom Diary forum is the original reason I created all this. Hoping I can continue to share it on here.

Welcome to any advice or comments. Thanks all.

8 Likes

The Golden Nuggets are kickin’ off great, really happy with this strain’s germination speed and growth so far as a seedling. Most of these little guys have a habit of holding onto their seed casing like the one above. I’m a fan of LITFA gardening as much as possible.

Half have purple stems, other half have green/grey stems. Below is one planted with three Calendula.

The little runt isn’t doing so well. The tips of one cotyledon are yellowing, the tip of the other browning. The first true leaves are growing, but once again their very tips are yellowing. I’m going to hope this is just too intense light for it’s fragile state; I’ve moved it further from the light. When I said I love you today it felt like I was saying goodbye.

5 Likes

Hello poem and welcome to Overgrow!

Yes, the system has caught it… The reason was that you were linking to your blog in practically every post. This is not something that one would expect from new member so it was seen as spam…

You are welcome to continue your diary here! :leaves:

What about your background? May I ask how many harvests have you been through?

4 Likes

Hi LemonadeJoe. I’m a new grower. I’ve been trying to starrt my own grow for a few years, but things in life have kept me from seeing an indoor harvest. I’ve tended about a half-dozen indoor gardens through most of veg and flower though, just never was part of the actual harvest. This summer (July) I moved back to the island and threw a few autoflowers (one in the picture below) into pots with promix and was happy having something look at. Just started assembling an indoor grow space and am popping seeds.

edit: and then some experience with livestock, living/working on a small family farm. part-time job at a blueberry farm. worked at a couple dispensaries. backyard vegetable gardening since i was little. oh right, also volunteered at a seed saving company for awhile. and was head gardener for a small landscaping crew.

11 Likes

That seed casing must be so pumped to see what it’s become. Most seed casings fall so soon and wither away, sinking into the soil slowly as the life they helped to protect, the life they were part of, now slowly drifts away as the sole, split seed casing decays.

But not this little guy he’s stoked, stayin’ on for the ride! Reminds me of one of the autos I grew this summer. One of the plants kept its cotyledons green and healthy up until the last week or two of flower, before they finally yellowed and fell off. Those two cotyledons almost made it to harvest. I wonder when this seed casing will give out.

The camera went wonky while taking the photo. Beside this Golden Nugget is a blurry pea. Originally from West Coast Seeds last summer, this one was saved recently.

Another one just kickin’ along. This is the seventh day since they arrived in the mail, so I’m happy with them. Looking closely I can actually see the beginning of the 3rd set of true leaves on one of the 11.

10 Likes

They’re looking happy!

3 Likes

Love the prose. Wish I was capable of flowing like that.

4 Likes

Welcome to OG @poem! You seem to be well on your way to harvesting indoors this time around… Cool!

Thanks for the warm welcome y’all =) Appreciate the compliment, Worcestershire Farms.

Today I planted some alfalfa seeds, barley, buckwheat, and mung beans in each pot, then covered them all with about a 1/4″ of soil mix. Going to be glad to see some more life going on in this soil. Some of these little 5″x5″x6″ pots are eventually going to find homes in larger no-till bags–some might even make it into the ground next spring!

More new growth from our little friend, the runt of the bunch. Hangin’ on, slowly pushin’ out new growth with the will to survive. At first I was afraid the little guy wouldn’t make it. I was petrified actually. I kept thinkin’ it could never live with starting life upside down. Then I spent some time the other night fixing how it started wrong. And it grew strong! And now it’s chuggin’ right along.

4 Likes

Golden Nugget

That little one up there ^ was lucky enough to see some real sunshine today. Felt like choppin’ up some kindling so I brought it outside with me in a 5"x5"x6" square rigid pot. Had just under an hour of some cool autumn air and bright morning sun.

I wonder if the other seedlings are envious… Or maybe they were even worried when I took one of their siblings and disappeared for an hour… But the wee one returned safely and nestled back into the top left corner, once again amongst sisters and brothers:

“Icarus! Where on Garden were you?! You had us all worried half to damping off! We all thought you went the way of the compost.”

Golden Nugget, three Calendula and one snap pea all listen eagerly to tales from the outside.

The little runt is recovering well. It had a rough start to life, but new growth means it’ll be stickin’ around for awhile. Blurry snap pea there too.

4 Likes

BLOOGIES F2

4/7 Bloogies (F2) from Demeter Genetics have popped. Hard to see the bottom right one in the above photo, but it’s up. Three left, hope to see them tomorrow.

2 Likes

BLOOGIES CBD

Oct 28/17 - Bloogies CBD – D1

Nine Bloogies CBD by Demeter Genetics, soaked ~2hrs in water + LABS (1000:1), planted in 3.5″x3.5″ pots with ProMix HP. Lost pics due to technical difficulties.

4 Likes

Golden Nugget – D11

Eleven days ago this one came in the mail from Greenpoint Seeds. This one’s the most vigorous yet. The other 10 seedlings are on their 2nd and 3rd true leaves, coming up with the tiniest 3rds and 4ths. Even the little runt is doing alright, working on filling out its 2nd true leaves and beginning a 3rd set. Extremely dwarfed though, hoping it will eventually recover. Forgot to take pics.

Was sooo into this one seedling for like 20 minutes, just layin’ on the floor snappin pics lol.

This last one is another angle, same seedling.

6 Likes

BLOOGIES F2 - D4

6/7 Bloogies have popped.

Welcome to the garden, Bloogies =)

3 Likes

GOLDEN NUGGET - D12

Very happy to see companion plants coming up everywhere with these little ones. I’ve got buckwheat, alfalfa, rye, snap peas, and some calendula together:

a mix of buckwheat, alfalfa, rye, snap peas, and calendula

The ones with more surrounding plants seem to be doing better. More protection from fan? Some sort of chemical exchange in the root zone? Nitrogen fixing nodules giving some seedlings a burst? Uses more water in the container and encourages oxygenation? Or maybe the ones with friends just love life more.

wheatgrass pokes up between Golden Nugget Cannabis

far left: calendula true leaves; 1st and 2nd set
3 Likes

C99 - D5

Planted on October 24th, the first 8 of 13 Cinderella 99 mixed seeds from Fleur du Mal Seeds have begun to come up. Picture above is the weakest and furthest behind.

When I received these seeds (pack of 25) I seperated them into two obvious piles: the green+pale+undersized seeds, and the hard+dark+striped or spotted seeds. The first 12/12 I planted were green, pale, undersized, and none of them made it. A couple did not have the energy to break free of their own shell casing, but most did not sprout a taproot at all.

This second planting of 13 of the visibly higher-quality seeds is going alright. But five days and only 8/13 at this size is unimpressive. If I end up with 8 of 25 seeds ($32.50) yielding plants to select from, I’m still happy though. That’s $4 CAD for genetics I really wanted, and I’m sure that other packs may have higher germination rates. (I will be ordering from FDM again.) I’ve seen good reviews of the C99 mix from FDM on overgrow.com, so I don’t assume my experience is the average. I also have the 25x Durban mix FDM offers. These seeds look rich and vigorous. I’m lookin’ forward to planting and will post updates.

5 Likes