Powdery mildew - An easily exterminated parasite

You ever shine the ultra violet on there to see if anything glows?

2 Likes

No glowing on the spot light anywhere what ever was here definitely is gone I can’t even find pm around the area either it all vanished as soon as I started spraying Cease and sulpher.Cycle was busted up killing PM is kind of like killing dirt gnats in a way if you interrupt the cycle they can’t breed anymore and they die off.This stuff stays living on plant leaves for days at a time whatever pm spores are landing they land on a leaf covered in Subtillus QST 113 and get eaten alive by it.If you kill all surrounding PM and don’t introduce it shit will go away.Treat plant a couple weeks don’t give it chance to take a foot hold don’t be lazy problem solved

2 Likes

OK sounds good! So you sprayed the indoor plants with sulfur and the outdoor plants with cease?

Outdoor got cease because of flower indoor got the sulpher I’m in veg

2 Likes

ok great! Thanks!

1 Like

Hey JoeCrowe, I’ve got a shed with a gravel floor? I can’t imagine anything other than a bug could live on it as I spray it with vinegar a few times a year.

1 Like

The surrounding area was sprayed with sulpher outside and got run off from cease so tag team effort for the win

1 Like

Yah, but I think it would be more effective to spray the plants in there, instead of the floor.

1 Like

ok great! Thanks for those details!!

2 Likes

Thanks. Sulfur to all in Veg every 2-3 weeks . And maybe neem once a month and wash occasionally. That’s my plan.

1 Like

Once you get into the hang of it some mild IPM sulpher sprays every three weeks minimum in veg and you will never see PM.I personally over the winter am going to make 5 gallons of JADAM Sulpher just have to source some Korean red clay powder and I’m set.You could get by indoor using Safer sulpher spray that one has a baby shampoo concentration of sulpher in it and it’s very forgiving on younger growth as long as you don’t be a douche nozzle and drench your plants down.They don’t like that.Plus plants like a little sulpher every now and then sweetens the soil they say and you won’t have to have an oh shit and get an 80$ gallon of Cease.Bet you I won’t get PM anymore lol

2 Likes

Since powdery mildew is brought in on infected plant material, once you get rid of it, it’ll never come back. Only by bringing in more infected material, can you start the cycle again. I would never IPM with sulfur.
OK, I think the spread of mildew is over. It’s cold enough outside, the pods have stopped hatching. I’ve been watching the progress of the colony this whole time on the plantain. I’ll have to get a sample of both types outside.

3 Likes

So Joe, I removed all the detritus and sulfur sprayed all the areas where I had pm last year. I hadn’t seen any until a month ago, on some bee balm. It isn’t in an area I sprayed, but at least 50’ away. I also made a point not get too close to it!

A few weeks ago, I started seeing some pm on some zinnias, and then on some more. They are about 30’ away from the bee balm.

I know sulfur kills pm, but I’m not so sure about the 6m thing… or even that it might not be airborn. Whaddayu think?

1 Like

Yah the thing is that it’s hard to say in a situation like that right? OK so there are variables like did you really get all the plant material? What IS the host of the plant? Where is that host located?
So in my case, the pumpkins were infested but outdoors and in the other greenhouse there was no infestation. I went in and sprayed all the seedlings except one and all the plant material I could see. The ground was a barren piece of fabric and the plants were growing in pots. I did one spray and then left it. The mildew never regenerated.
So in my case, I knew which plants were definitely the hosts and I sprayed them all. The mildew colony was contained for 10 years in a large greenhouse. So I knew exactly where to spray. Spray everything in the greenhouse. Those are probably the 2 variables that could make it fail that I could see. The location of the downed material, and the actual host. Did it seem like it took a long time for the mildew to actually take over? It’s usually 40 days in before you can see it with your eyes.

1 Like

I think in a case like that I would spray any plant that had mildew on it right now. That’ll hurt it bad.

1 Like

Final report for the season and can sum it up with one word. Eradication. No pm anywhere. Sulfur for the win.

7 Likes

Here’s a nice video i found backing up the use of sulfur

2 Likes

hey he quotes my favorite study in that video! lol! You can get the study he quotes right here on OG.

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s fucking toast. I saw some mildew growing in a garden in town on the pumpkin plants. I was like boooo fuck that shit. I should go knock on their door :wink:

2 Likes

It’s been a few weeks at least since I tortured some plants with Sulfur over a 1 week span. I used the prescribed measurement in water with little or no soap each time. Once I rinsed them after 45 minutes and the next time I left them drenched. My drenchings were brutal spray downs that I approved of, like driving sustained rain. And now these plants have a little leaf deformity where it was tortured as a miniature stipule. The plants look vibrant and I conclude Sulfur was hidden in plain site because there was no money to be made on it. And it’s replacing Neem as my main Preventative Maintenance. With a few luxury washes with dechlor. My grow is in a shad in outdoorsy Canada. Close to my many neighbors growing outdoor giants with the perfect weather for PM, Spider Mites, Aphids and even pollen. Thanks @JoeCrowe for your research, now that I couldn’t even hurt them much with Sulfur I double thank you. My Preventative Maintenance just got easier.

4 Likes