Print It ALL! The 3D Print / Printer thread

For softwares, I use a bunch depending on the need.

Quick rough sketches are done in Tinkercad. (Free). You can do ALOT with this super basic program

More technical parts with detail are done with Fusion360 (Free hobbyist license), and it even integrates with Tinkercad so you can start in Tinkercad, and refine in Fusion360. Great for functional items.

Organic shapes I prefer Blender. I designed my buddys scuba boat in Blender, was the only way I could figure out the complex curves in the hull. Great for minis and other sculpture items.

Its good to note, all three programs are free / free for hobby use, they all have big communities and lots of good tutorials on Youtube as well.

7 Likes

nothing to see here

7 Likes

Thank you brother for ALL your hard work.

Can’t wait! It’s been an excellent experience working with you too brother.

OG’s where it’s at !!! :pray:t2::+1:t2::heart::sunglasses:

2 Likes

this is awesome!

1 Like

Hell ya, I dig it. I have been trying to think of what I want to do with some of mine still heh.

This is the topic if you need to get the job done or offer your printing services:

7 Likes

I gifted myself a Prusa i3 for last Christmas and have been loving the hobby! Most of my prints and designs are functional and a few are growing-related.
Here’s an opening tool for the standard lids on big fertiliser canisters, which I designed the other day after I couldn’t open my Canna 5L containers: printables.com - Canister Opening Wrench 5-60L

6 Likes

I can’t remember specifically who had the seed tray designs but THANK YOU!!! Had my buddy at work make em for me, 1.50$ in materials for 2 trays and 18 pucks, LOVE THESE THINGS. If seeds are small enough you can fit 2 per hole making it a 20 pack, haven’t tried extra large seeds yet.

13 Likes

Glad it’s working out! I had a bad week/became overwhelmed by the thread, then regrettably had it nuked. If anyone has and wants to post the files for others please feel free. I’ll try to get around to it soon, apologies for taking them down

4 Likes

I’ve got them but not sure how to share them. google drive? I wouldnt want to upload them to thingiverse as theyre not my creation, maybe should wait for you to put them back up :nerd_face:

Edit: I do prefer the look of the new one, though, it’s slick.

1 Like

Yep, I think the new one is far better and cleaner too. Feel free to upload them wherever you want :+1:

1 Like

Wow, you think i can make one of those doo hickies from an old print to make me pots too. I think I seen a video on utube on a diy printer i think :thinking:. Little help please :pray:

@Nagel420, thanks for the thread and also the link and coupon for the Ender 3 pro. Been wanting to pick up a printer to tinker for quite some time. Found a micro center and picked one up for a little over a hundy. At that price and with your write up here its a bit of a no brainer.

1 Like

A little seed counter/cleaning tray I made the other day. Don’t make fun of me, I am not doing massive seed runs yet lol…

12 Likes

One shaped like a hockey rink with a hockey stick to separate with would be pretty funny. :canada:

2 Likes

That coupon is so golden! Its been around, but my micro center thats drive-able, NEVER had em in stock till a few weeks ago. Capitalize! lol

I guess its a loss-leader, they get you to buy a printer, and hope you return for filament. Prices on filament weren’t half bad either. Plus it was tech toy heaven, if it was closer, I WOULD be in there more often!

Glad it helped ya save a few bucks man, enough for a nice dinner for sure! lol

2 Likes

Ya its a pretty awesome deal. I wish there was one anywhere near me, another printer would be great.

1 Like

you are lucky to have anything near where you are. I was surprised there werent more micro centers in my state. Seems a predominantly south thing…

1 Like

There have been a number of deals they had that I wanted in the past. I was building a PC a few years ago and really wanted one of the threadripper CPU’s they had, they saw I was shit out of luck.

I need more of these kinds of sales…

Buddy up the street works for a pool company. When they installed these jets (6 of them), someone screwed up their measurements by like 3/4". JUST enough that the original nozzle is under water instead of just at the surface. He asks if I can model a nozzle thats offset literally the width of the nozzle.

15 minutes in Fusion 360, and its done. Test fit it in the fitting, perfect fit. Printing out his order for a dozen of them now. 5 hr print, $0.47 in filament (TOTAL). Bill is for $240 ($20 ea). Sounds expensive, right? Well considering he said the stock brass nozzle alone is $15 ea, and this solves a problem that otherwise is unfixable (ie would need to literally break apart the top edge of the pool to re-do their mistake), its a steal for them. Oh and even better? HE is the one who told me to charge $20 ea! (my cost is abour 54 cents ea).

10 Likes