Time to give 3D printing a try on an Ender 3 Neo

Hey there OG. So I have been seeing folks using 3D printers for a while now and had someone making me 3D seed pucks. Since I needed more of them I decided it was time to dive in and buy a 3D printer. I went with the Ender 3 Neo. It had some features I liked over the others like auto leveling, full metal extruder, large heat sync and Carborundum glass build surface. So let’s put this thing together and see what we got.

After some assembly, which was not to bad, this is what I got.

Fairly straight forward interface with a push button turn knob as controller.

Now although the printer has an auto level feature it is suggested you manually level the printer first so I went through that fairly painful process. After several attempts I got it level on all 4 corners. Then I proceeded to auto level the bed which worked great.

I preheated the machine and could not for the life of me get any filament to come out the nozzle. Took the feed tube off and checked to make sure filament was getting to it and it was. Now a bit confused I decided to take a tool they provided for clearing the nozzle and poked it up into the thing and darned if it wasn’t blocked for some reason. As soon as I punctured the blockage it started spitting out filament so problem solved.

For the first print I went with a rabbit.

What did I end up with, a little white rabbit. not bad for a first print.

So there you have it. Machine was reasonably simple to set up and is now printing for me. I am making a little boat now and will start looking at other things as well as slicing software to start designing my own stuff. Should be fun.

45 Likes

Cool been looking at same unit

What are you gonna make with it Doug?

1 Like

The main reason I got it was to make seed pucks but now that I have it I am going to be looking at all sorts of stuff.

8 Likes

Couple hours of build time? I mean, to put the machine together, not to make the rabbit. So amazing!

1 Like

I’m always down to follow the white rabbit :100:
Sick new machine D.D.

3 Likes

I want one of those but I can see me using the first few rolls playing and making a ton of random stuff lol

2 Likes

Which seed puck design you going with @DougDawson ?

Nice @DougDawson !!!

I hope this isn’t to early, but seeing your bunny print made me thing about your sweet Tigger so I’m going to leave this link here:

If I ever get one i’m gonna be printing custom mini’s of my animal family :heart:

4 Likes

Yeah, it took a couple hours and another hour playing around due to a clogged nozzle.

The same one that was being made for me that I currently use. 10 seed holes and 1" puck.

Not at all bud, thanks. I will check it out.

3 Likes

Second test was a boat and I am impressed with the detail on the little stuff like the chimney and holes.

13 Likes

That’s impressive for a 250 buck machine !!

Online it says 15 minutes to build it

1 Like

The first thing I would do is to print upgrades for the printer. (Channeled vents, filament guide arm, smoother filament spool holder/roller.

I still need to add parts to mine (auto bed leveler, upgraded control board).

7 Likes

I am betting that’s the Neo V2 and not the V1 I got. That one is $120 more.

Hmmm, I will check that out, thanks.

2 Likes

Nice to be able to print upgrade parts yourself!

2 Likes

Those are some nice prints right out the box! Congrats!

4 Likes

I have been interested in getting one of these an trying them out for awhile…
All thanks to Doug I went an ordered one just now. :rofl: :laughing::+1:

3 Likes

Been in the 3d printing game quite a while.
Went something like this
Cheap Chinese Delta Printer → DIY Core XY printer - > Ender 3 Max → Lots of upgrades to E3Max → Bambu P1P + Automatic Material System.
Also got into resin printing.
Need to finish the CNC someday.

Feel free to hit me up if you need help!

5 Likes

Which one did you get @chronix ?

Thanks @Jellypowered . I made my 3rd print last night. It was a tool holder for the tools that came with it. Tonight I will print the filament guide. It’s fun so far.

6 Likes

Awesome stuff! Collecting 3d files can become an addiction, not to mention printing em all. :joy: Have fun! :+1:

6 Likes

By the looks of it I got the V2.
Hopefully I can figure out how to use it. :laughing:

4 Likes