Purple blotches on outdoor plants

Got yourself some phosphorus deficiency for sure And if I understand the reasons behind its rise, it is due to a calcium deficiency that is very severe… For a quick fix use hydrated lime, But go easy on it because it’s not good for micro life. I have this issue with my soil if it has too much horse manure from my compost pile. Horse manure is notoriously low in calcium… I actually planted right in my compost pile When I 1st moved to this property, thinking I would have an incredible crop. Much to my chagrin, my plants looked exactly like yours. In fact, I got no harvest that year as the plants did not flower. It took me a couple years to figure out what the issue was. Foliar feeding with seaweed helped a little bit, but hydrated lime is what fixed the problem. Good luck! I threw a squeezed handful of the stuff in a gallon of water, shook it up, and watered my plants. Also broadcast some on to the surface of the soil. Takes a week or 2 to show the effects.
I looked and looked and could find no pictures that showed what my plants were going through Until I finally bought the book “what’s wrong with my marijuana plant”. This book has a great picture showing exactly what you are dealing with.

11 Likes

That’s exactly what I did planted right on the back side of the horse/cow shed mixedi topped dressed with dry chicken and goat droppings once I noticed the stretch coming on also it’s my first year on the property lmao .

Dang don’t go saying those words “no harvest”:joy:
Seems like I’m gonna have to take a page out of your book !
So only one watering of the hydrated lime is substantial ?

Edit :how will this mix with the Diatomaceous earth

5 Likes

I scratched it right into the surface of the soil. Basically the plants are getting ready to flower now and they need more phosphorus than they have available… Plants put away about 50% of the Phosphorus that they need for flowering before flowering ever occurs , so until flowering starts The problem is hidden from us.
My plants actually still do this if I go too heavy with my garden soil,( heavily amended with horse manure ) in my containers, but the problem only shows at the beginning of flower, then it disappears and the plants flower normally. Regular lime will work for you for next year most likely, but this year you need to get some lime into the soil pronto and that means hydrated lime, which is like flour in consistency. If you go too heavy on it, it will bleach your leaves white so follow instructions or use less than the instructions say.
I don’t think it will cause an issue mixed with your DE. Looks exactly like this stuff in fact. Might be hard for you to tell which is which when you are spreading it out.
When I got no harvest 12 years ago, my plants were literally planted in the horse manure/ sawdust compost, Not just amended with it as in your case. Decent chance your plants will snap out of it with no care at all…
Finally, if there is some kind of foliar feeding available with high calcium, I’d use it. Spreading high phosphorus bat guano did not help the issue, Which has helped lead me to the belief (thru vast research )that it is calcium lockout causing phosphorus lockout.

Sorry the pictures upside down LOL

12 Likes

I’m so much happier hearing calcium deficiency causing lockout than blight. The soil is high in phosphorus based on the soil test.
Started on the tops of the plants for me also. The blight starts at the bottom from what I was reading

5 Likes

I have same thing

1 Like

Out of curiosity would the seaweed foliar feed delay budding? @Upstate

2 Likes

There’s one thing that doesn’t match icon_e_confused|nullxnull, mostly of this damage posted appears in the new growth, not in older leaves as it’s been posted as sample:

Phosphorous is a mobile nutrient, so in case the new growth missed it, plant would take it from the older low leaves and consequently those blotches would appear there, not in the new ones …

It’s been also said that it appears just in one spot and spreads from one point, not in the whole plant, which makes me discard any nutrient deficiency and my suspicions go to bug origin: sooty mould from aphids honeydew …

As the pests excrete the sweet substance, it spreads a coating and sticks to leaves, stems, flowers, and fruit. This sugary substance is an ideal food for the fungus that becomes “sooty mold" .

6 Likes

Thanks for the information brother !
I went out and got some hydrated lime after work .i used about two handfuls per plant they have soda can stalks so I figured a little extra… not to generous though

Wouldn’t you know it as I was filling up to water it started pouring and for a good while to !

I appreciate the knowledgeable information you have provided me! When the time comes I’m probably gonna amend my soil with this inside as well
FINGERS crossed!
The plants have deff stretched and more pistols r showing so that’s a positive deff gonna need some defoliation :crazy_face:
Thanks again !

5 Likes

Keep us posted on what happens.

2 Likes

Will do !
You already know :crazy_face:
Probably will post results over on my thread

Mischievous summer time fling

Pretty neat to see how many of us unknowingly were in the same boat
Imma jump over board fellas and swim over to upstate haha

6 Likes

Phosphorus can and does get locked out due to cooler temperatures outside with cannabis.
Some plants will show signs and struggle and others may not.

Here is an example of lockout of P due to cold temps:

10 Likes

An old expert grower that lives in Northern California told my cousin that if there’s some sort of issue you can’t figure out, throw seaweed or kelp at it. It seemed to help initiate flowering a little bit in my case, but it was too little too late that year.

4 Likes

Out of all the different books I’ve read this is the only one that has accurately showed what these purple leaves mean . In fact it is the only book that had a picture of the issue I was experiencing . It’s definitely phosphorus deficiency. The next step is that the leaves continue to get thinner and thinner and instead of flowers you will get a ball of skinny Twisted/ contorted leaves that are purple, intertwined with sparce small groupings of calyxes. We both have in common the extensive use of horse manure, which is notoriously low in calcium, and is often mixed with sawdust or wood chips, throwing the soil out of balance. Plants need calcium to process phosphorus. The only reason I know this is definitely right is because in 2014 I only applied hydrated lime to my plants and it fixed them within two weeks… Lack of Calcium causing Phosphorus absorption issues/ lockout. Each year my soil gets closer and closer to being balanced and I see less and less of these purple leaves forming at the onset of flower.
@Oldjoints that’s a picture showing exactly the same thing but in my case and in his case this is happening in mid-august with mid 80° temperatures( where I live)

8 Likes

I recommend a mix of powdered and pelletized Dolomite lime instead of hydrated lime. Hydrated lime is not good for the microlife and is only being used in this instance out of necessity because it will quickly fix the problem . You just need to let the other microlife friendly lime “cook” in the soil for 30 days before using the soil

4 Likes

That’s why I stated that in your case it was in the lower leaves so could be Phosphorous deficit, I think we’re facing two different issues, these ones for me are different, more sticky and glossy, not a tissue changing colour but thicker like with something extra added, also happens in new growth instead of older leaves.

Maybe I’m going too far and will have to accept lack of Phosphorous affecting new growth icon_e_confused|nullxnull, life is full of contradictions :sweat_smile:, thanks for your input … beer3|nullxnull

Cabptura Captura

5 Likes

Deff sounds like that’s the path she was on !
Next year I shall deff amend the soil in about April then
If you don’t mind me asking how far along r your outside plants in flower ?
Now I have to worry if she’s behind due to the lack of nutrients !
Thanks again for steering me on the right path !

5 Likes

Foliar feeding seaweed tomorrow it is :joy:

4 Likes

@Rabeats2093 were you able to get any info on the local strain your flowering?

2 Likes

@Emeraldgreen
Not to much info man
I know he called it orange bud … Think he said real name was orange sherbet or something
He’s been growing it for 25 years
Every year he gets some seeds from the lower branches and that’s how he’s been keeping it going !

DONT you worry cards and stamps were acquired yesterday !

Damn I really need to get out and about …when I was 17-21 all I did was hang out with old school growers …I know they have gems in their stash probably from the seventies … problem is they had the same varieties for years and years the plus side is as the years went on they became more adaptable to the weather … not a stitch of mold middle of October surrounded in sumac and golden rods … you would occasionally find a really nice plant out of a crop but all they did with it was smoke it lol

4 Likes

I had the same thing, purple on the newest shoots Only. Typically, what I understood to be phosphorus deficiency was a browning of the edges of the lowest leaves on a plant and as you know, this looks entirely different. For years I had those scraggly, leafy purple " buds". I held on to them knowing that someday I would figure out what happened. A few years back I bought that book and got my answer. I was pretty spot on in my diagnosis. I’ll see if I saved any of those buds.

4 Likes