Purple Unicorn

Agreed, keeping them too moist makes the cuts not need to grow roots to search for water.

4 Likes

Besides the color, the bud structure on that male is a great sign! Collect lots and lots of pollen!
Actually, I wouldn’t mind having a vial of that myself.

1 Like

Then just water the cubes as needed, and drain the excess? That is how I’ve been appproaching mine. After about day 10 I havent gotten any to root, and they have been slowly dying off. The original 6 that rooted, will probably be all I get to take.

1 Like

I certainly will, and will be happy to spread it around. Got any good tips for preserving it? I usually use it right away then toss it.

3 Likes

Ya when I used to use cubes I would throw them in water until they sank then pull them out and shake a few times to get rid of excess. From that point I generally didn’t have to water the cubes again until they were rooted.

Lightly mist the some first few days, unless it’s already foggy then just fan it for some fresh air. Oftentimes my dome will have big droplets all over it (too wet) so I’ll end up wiping it off with paper towels every couple days.

5 Likes

I don’t water again after the initial soak of the pellet.

@schmarmpit Pollen Drying and Storing

6 Likes

@Badger , do you have good contact between the stem and cube ( tight fit ) or is stem loose ?

3 Likes

Oh, some strains don’t root well, I’ve only recently experienced that myself with the grease monkeys I’m growing. All the other rooted within 7-10 days.

4 Likes

Everything was pretty tight. I believe some of the clones I took were too small. I noticed the ones that did take all included 4 nodes, some of the others included 3. I feel like the cubes stayed wet well until I started opening the dome after a few days. Then I had to start watering.

I did notice that both clones took from 2 of the plants. These must be the easir to clone varieties. Some of others got too wet and had mold problems, so it obvious why they didnt root. Some of the cuttings just leave me clueless, as they should have roots now. It has been 3 weeks tomorrow.

I have always kept water in the bottom of my propagator. I use to use rockwool cubes and perlite in the bottom of the tray with no insert. The cubes are in a 72 cell insert that sits in a tray with a half inch of water or so in it. Its how i always done cuts in rooters, pucks or rockwool. The rooters and rockwool cubes both have worked well for me. I keep my cuts and cubes wet until i start seeing roots. Never have had to water the rooters. Just misting the dome and the cuts and keeping water in the bottom works well for me.

5 Likes

The rooted cut that fell over after cupping is standing back up but i went ahead and took another cut of it just in case.

1 Like

Thats a good looking stud @schmarmpit. Mine are finally starting to show sex. 1 confirmed female so far. I will be taking a closer look at them tonight.

4 Likes

Any more confirmations? Are they purple like schmarmpit’s?

Mine are still in veg. No colors yet. From all other reports i have seen on other forums just about every plant turns purple early in flower. Actually, every picture i have seen has been purple plants. Even the pictures of crosses using the PU male.

8 Likes

Ah, nice! That said, very interested in some pollen!

1 Like

Clearly getting stretchy from the inadequate lighting but still a good representation of my boys. They smell like dank weed, not human feces thankfully.

And some sad news from 1of my 2 girls:

15 Likes

The Purple Unicorn f5s are a seemingly very stable generation. Your males look almost identical. All 4 of my plants have very similar size and structure going on as well.

9 Likes

My 4 PU are on the left. The other 3 plants are black triangle.

29 Likes

They do look nearly the same, and very similar to my lone PU female. So nice and healthy looking in there.

How much longer you plan on vegging them?

5 Likes

I will be up potting monday night regardless of sex. Dont want too but im tired of waiting for sex to show. I confirmed one female for sure and thats it so far. Once they take off after the roots spread i will flip. I will probably grab my loupe when i up pot and see if i can not confirm sex on anymore of them.

7 Likes