Question about leaves…(modern nutritional info out there?)

Let’s say I take some fan leaves and juice them,
Or make a smoothie…
Any modern info to entertain than the years old videos on YouTuube that just make broad statements and hypothesize the benefits?
Any real info out there?

6 Likes

It’s rich in Iron and calcium. Strong bones!

1 Like

The only extent of research I’ve done on it is to use a cold press juicer and not a warm/hot press juicer as it kills the thc

Just Google research papers on the subject. I found 4 articles between reading g your post and making this one!
Here’s one:

2 Likes

i made a leave smoothie one time, got high as FUCK for like an hour then felt great the rest of the day. was NOT prepared for that high tho . LOL It was rather energetic

2 Likes

Links to these papers?!
You found 4?
The one you linked is good, but I wanna know the nitty gritty fine details ,
As in, should I swap my spinach for the fan leaves or is this “ultra healthy” leaf theory just hype for us in the stoner community?

2 Likes

When I was juicing I used my fans daily for about 2 years, I definitely found it made me more regular (bowel movements) and it seemed to always give a significant boost of energy after 25-30 minutes that would last hours. Of course this is just anecdotal, I’d still be doing it if I didn’t make myself hypoglycaemic by utilizing too many sugary fruits etc. come to think of it I should start again, just gotta stay away from the fruits and add more veg , chia, hemp seed etc.

2 Likes

Interesting subject, makes you think what your tossing could be put to use. :thinking:

I completely agree with the energy part. It was like I smoked a super sativa drinking a fan leaf smoothie.

But it also smacked the shit out of me for about an hour with a crazy racy high :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

You might have put some trichomes and some THCA into the smothie and for some reason it got decarboxilated or for some kind of chemical reaction It got into your system as THC…I don’t have and answer to that,but I am interested in the benefits in terms of nutritional and fibre values
@BeTheLight

1 Like

100 percent what happened. maybe the friction of blending got it warm enough ( everything else was frozen so thats kind of crazy to believe :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Yep that’s what I meant

1 Like

First, I have some bad news. Research into leaf nutrition and availability is very limited right now. Most people interested in cannabis and nutrition have focused on seed. There are trials going on to get hemp seed certified as livestock seed which would be huge for growers.

Good news! While there isn’t much interest that doesn’t mean there isn’t! Try doing a search on Google scholar instead of just Google. If the result is a pay wall, often times the scholar results will have a link to a PDF that is usually free! I’d expect the next 5 years there will be much more info coming out, but right now the main focus is on seed research.

I forgot to mention, I would caution against eating leaves from a safety standpoint. Even in non-polluted soil Cannabis accumulates a large amount of toxic heavy metals. Most metals are stored in the roots, but a good proportion are transported to shoot tissue and stored in leaves and stem tissue. The fate of those heavy metals is a conversation that needs to be had

1 Like

That’s the info I’m looking for

I did a study looking at levels of lead, cadmium, chromium, and nickel growing in organic certified soil with no history of heavy metal pollution and Cannabis accumulated proportions of lead and cadmium from the soil that were surprising given the concentration in the soil. Not too mention we aren’t positive of the fate of heavy metals in the plant or the fate of heavy metals in plant tissue that is left on/in the ground. The good news is, trichome extracts appear not to have much if any HMs, which is weird because they are common ways for plants to discard dangerous chemicals. Those results are also backed by studies from Egypt, North Africa, and the Middle East where heavy metals are present in plant tissue grown on polluted soil but not in essential oils extracted from those plants.

I’m going to stop there but if you are interested in hearing anymore message me or if people want the info I can post it somewhere. I’m new so not sure of the best section to post it in, but ill figure it out. Sorry for the hijack on the heavy metal stuff!!

I can share some more of the work in a few months after it gets published.

2 Likes

that is important enough that it needs it’s own thread. i would also go so far as to have my soil and plant matter tested when i start the hemp and i wonder if there is anyone who would like to use my place for any other studies? where would i go with that, extension office or wvu ag dept? oh, and my daughter who lives adjacent to the farm just got her master’s in botany.

2 Likes

Hell yeah!! I would google Hemp Extension and then you can find universities in your region doing stuff. Kentucky and Murray State were the first to get in the game, but I think Clemson and UT Knoxville have people working with hemp