Questions about plants?

I have been sorting through clones today making room for all the new little seedlings coming along in the next few weeks. I found these odd little clones while sorting? Images 01, 02 and 04 have discolorations on the leaves, Images 03, 05 and 06 show something else: maybe all are normal, or just a temporary phase and I have just never noticed it before (weed goggles, you know). Any insight is appreciated and welcomed, much!

Regards,

mike28086

3 Likes

Can i just have a guess that the turned up leaf ones have just been taken from the cloning chamber and put under strong light and or much higher temps?
They just look very fragile and maybe they just weren’t hardened off.

4 Likes

Thank you for the reply. It could be possible, but I did… harden them off slowly for a 10 days before removing and placing under same grow lights. But, you could be correct. Maybe, with time they will recover and be fine. I just need to watch after them a little better. The temp. has gone up and down daily, for the past few weeks, like cardio meter. That does not help with keeping temperatures and humidity constant. Would you happen to have noticed the discoloration in the other images and if so, what did you think might that be? Something out of the ordinary, perhaps I should be concerned about it or not?

Thanks again for your reply,

Regards,

mike28086

2 Likes

I did notice but anything i could say would just be pure guesswork about the discolourations

3 Likes

What you have Mike, looks like either heat or humidity problems or both, your light may be to close and it’s starting to burn your leaves causing the discoloration.

It could also be wind burn, do you have a fan blowing constantly on that plant or is it close to the fan?

When leaves get to much heat, light or wind and incorrect humidity they will curl their leaves to reduce surface area and shut down their stomata in the leaves, where they transpire from.

Normally with too much light it mostly affects upper leaves, low humidity and or high heat affect the plant more all over, wind will affect the area’s closest to the fan.

6 Likes

Shadey,
thanks for the info. and for stopping by and checking things out, I appreciate it, truly. I will get a humidity monitor, the one I had to start with broke two weeks after purchasing it, that was over a year ago. I will back the light off a tad, and monitor the situation from there, as well. Thanks again.

regards,

mike28086

2 Likes

No problem man I hope you resolve it soon.

It took me a year to get my humidity under control, when I first started, I didn’t think it was that high an importance, on the scale of priorities, but its all part of it, you cant separate anything on an individual basis, they are all connected and affect the other things going on. Once you get to understand the plants biology more, you can start using these things to your advantage. Low humidity with high heat or wind, can cause nutrient burn. The plant uptakes more water and nutrients when humidity is low and this collects in the leaves and causes the burn. Too much humidity and the plant drinks through it leaves and less from the soil so nutrient uptake is lowered and growth slows down.

Inkbird do a cheap and good humidity controller and temp as well. They have just brought out a dual heat and humidity controller for about $85 on ebay. I have 3 each of their separate controllers, for a while now with no problems.

4 Likes

Second set of pics to me looks typical of heat stress when leaves fold up on themselves.

2 Likes

Thanks Shadey,

I agree with you, now looking back ‘I’ should have (those are the ones that hurt the most) just broke down and purchased another humidity monitor or (2) two, when ‘I’ had the chance, a while back. But why I am at it, I might as well check out the newer tech like this inkbird or lnkbird, I will check for both and see what happens. Sometime… Go Ahead… try it… STRANGE Sht Pops up! It is Cool as Hll, some times, but… sometimes, nothing happens at all. But, Some-times!

Regards and Thanks again,

mike28086

1 Like

TinyTuttle,

Thanks for the note, that’s what a friend said to me today.

Regards,

mike28086

2 Likes