Quick question about Mag Sulfate

@SeymourGreen in general, you don’t want to change the calcium/magnesium ratio of your feeds, especially not for long periods of time. You are correct that if you add too much mag, it will antagonize your calcium and cause a deficiency. It is the same with potassium, too much K will cause Ca/Mg deficiency. Usually I would recommend supplementing Ca and Mg together, but also make sure you don’t add too much, or you might cause K deficiency (especially at the end of flower). K/Ca/Mg is a ratio that needs to be within certain ranges, because they all antagonize each other. 4:2:1 is generally a good starting point for me in hydro. I would consider 3:2:1 to be about the most Calmag you want to use before you will start noticing K deficiencies – but you can get away with a lot of things for short periods of time, depending on the stages of growth (if you know what the plant needs most and when).

However, if you are at the end of flower, I think the Ca usage is lower. Not 100% sure though.

It’s hard to compare dry and liquid nutrients in the same way. In dry form, nutrients are measured as % by weight, but liquids are usual % by volume. So you might want to use a nutrient calculator, or calculate ppms into the amount of your mixture first.

7 Likes

I do have a few he already gave me awhile back. I’ll have to reference them. Good idea about the tap.

1 Like

Thanks @lefthandseeds. Another thing to drive myself crazy with lol! :crazy_face: Using the nutes I have on hand, plus the calimagic, would give me 6% K, 6%Ca, and 2% Mg. Not good huh?

2 Likes

I don’t have the Dyna products in my spreadsheets.

But I do have the breakdowns. These are all 1 ml/gr per gallon.

Calimagic
DGCalimagic-1ml

DG Mag Pro
DGMP-1ml

DG Foliage Pro
DGFP-1ml

Epsom
DGEpsom-1gr

DG Bloom (just in case)
DGBloom-1ml

Send me your recipe if you want me to run the PPM totals.

@ifish is the man. Graciously helpful!!!

5 Likes

Nicely done @GramTorino , dam I need mine laid out like that : )

3 Likes

@GramTorino. You are awesome! Thanks for all that. I’ve meant to do that so many times, and have never got around to it. Truly appreciative.

1 Like

And yes @ifish is the man! I’ve improved by leaps and bounds because of him. Maybe gives me to much to think about sometimes lol! :thinking::crazy_face:

2 Likes

My veg recipe is (all dynagro products at this time) is per gallon
2ml protekt
4ml foliage pro
2ml mag pro
Not really having any deficiencies, except the occasional purple stem, hence trying to up the Mg without adding N.

1 Like

I think you’re going to see K problems with those ratios if you feed like that too long. I don’t know what you’re starting with, is it the dyna bloom formula?

Edit: I see now— foliage pro. There’sa few problems with that formula for bloom, first is K is too low. If you have MKP, you might be able to fix it with that and calimagic.

1 Like

@lefthandseeds. Actually I use protekt which has 3% K, so it would actually be 9% K, 6% Ca, and 2% Mg. Still maybe not workable though?

1 Like

This is for a veg recipe. Trying to get rid of purple stems in veg.

1 Like

I see that makes sense. 9/6/2 isn’t bad for veg, the right amount of Epsom to make 9/6/3 would be better, especially if you’re trying to correct. I’d have to run some numbers though to figure out what that is.

2 Likes

So you don’t think the 10% Mg of the epsom will antagonize the 2% Ca in the foliage pro?

PPM totals

Totals, With 1 gram of epsom…

2 Likes

10% of what weight of Epsom? You have to figure in what quantities you’re mixing.

That sure bumps the Mg up. I wonder if to much sulfur will start antagonizing something else?

With 3ml Calimagic

3 Likes

Also many thanks for going through the trouble.

2 Likes

I was thinking of starting off with 1 gram a gallon.

1 Like

I like that second mix that @GramTorino shows. The 3ml calimagic looks about right.

1 Like