Rand's First To Flower

Hi everyone! I read from somebody’s journal on this site once,“there’s no point starting the journal before the plants are flowering” and so I am gonna say that THAT is my excuse for not starting this journal earlier and NOT my overwhelming fear of ridicule and/or failure! Not that I want people to NOT comment if I am doing something “wrong” because THAT is the reason I AM doing this at all, so lets not mistake my motives. And FULL DISCLOSURE, I REALLY like and AGREE with what some of the people on this site are saying and doing and I want to show my commitment to becoming a part of that. And lets be frank, guys and girls, connecting to others is essentially what these forums are about, RIGHT? NOW, the grow… I have had some problems as this is the first time I have invested in this and tried to prepare by reading and then building the grow slowly after I already bought the initial investment worth of stuff like the seeds (genetics) the tent (location) and light (energy source). So, I have VERY few of the things that some of you have come to collect through you r years of doing this and its real cool to see something that is used as a tool for something and I never thought of it and then to get that “Aha!” moment to quote Oprah, where I make the connection! Some of that stuff is really the meat and potatoes to all this for me as I have yet to harvest and get the MAIN thing from this, end consumables. I LOVE THIS PLANT AND LOVE USING IT FOR ANYTHING, really though, consuming the THC laden buds is MY FAVE! I am honestly excited about the new things I can do when I start getting these girls harvested…

To the pictures…I will start by loading you up on what they look like now and then how they became this way. I am going soil now as I thought it was the “easiest” way but am starting to see the way I think soil should be done naturally is actually pretty hard to get the knack of, and honestly, I haven’t thought about claiming any knack for any of this yet because the second I think I have something, it goes all SNAFU and I realize I DONT KNOW SHIT! excuse the language but I don’t.

anyways here is what they look like now

And here is a progression of their lives. I originally bought 5 Black Widow feminized seeds from Robert Bergman and the rest from Amazon and the Solsheet X is courtesy of @Baudelaire and their fine products which I learned about from all of you that I saw using them first and me thinking you guys knew what you were doing. When I started and now the LED light market is UNREAL as far as the EXPENSE of the really favored lights made in the US and all that, (I know this site is international and I don’t MEAN to be nauseatingly patriotic for the good ole Trumped USA, because I am not. I just think buying stuff from the people around you is a good economic practice. If I lived in Canada or Europe or Asia or the South Americas or wherever, I would TRY to buy locally first and if I couldn’t for what I need I will buy elsewhere) its a joke UNLESS you can build your own, it seems, Im thinking of some of the posts on here by some of you guys and I have to pinch myself because some of you ladies and gentlemen are REALLY GENIUS is your “inventions” and the fact that you chose to share FOR FREE this information is the essence of what the internet should be, IMO.

Rand Rant Over…
alright, i have a Solsheet X, it has 5 strips in it but don’t remember the exact stats just that I read and went with the 185 watt lesser driver with the Solsheet X as per how I read the blog on there about them. I think I nagged the poor guy every other day for my light and he was ALWAYS very nice and didn’t show, at least, his displeasure with me and I VERY much appreciated that so a shout out to him, MR Solstrips, you know who you are…

So the Solsheet and a tent its 3 x 3 x 6, so 90 cu ft.and a Solsheet and a KingsPlus LED, I believe it is “1200” watt rated meaning it draws?? and actually puts out ?? but it got a lot of good reviews and I haven’t had any problems with it and it is actually pulling double duty as when its lights out for the flowering 5 I switch the KingsPlus LED to the closet in the same room with the tent and its lighting my cuttings though, this is one of the areas I need help with as I am just trying to try something a little different each set of cuttings I take and I have 5 cuts from one mother and 3, the three I took most recently from another mother. The last 3 since the other mother is no longer a mother but a flowering yellow leaved lady that I still love, regardless of her inadequacies which are REALLY MY inadequacies as a gardener and not hers as a plant.
Oh and the nutrient regimen OH THE NUTRIENT REGIMEN! Talk about figuring stuff out, this is the hard part for me as though I feel I have a science mind to some extent, CHEMISTRY, which is the study of life, right? So like REALLY important stuff that touches EVERYTHING, I can’t get this stuff AT ALL. Its like when you’re younger and you are really good at multiplication tables and so your confidence builds but then BAM! you hit the higher maths and what you THOUGHT was a math mind was really an average mind for math because, really, who understands calculus? Don’t answer that, I don’t want to feel any more inferior!:sweat_smile:

I germinated 2 at first and then the final 3 but that is how they got numbered and why a couple look bigger than the rest

Some close-ups pf the little ladies!

Some nutrient burn which you will see stays a common theme…at least that is what I think it means when I got burnt tips of new growth…?

It was only the KingsPlus LED at first and I went with the 4 inch fans but would do differently if I could do again!

d

Some more of the progression through the veg state. I had started with the Botanicare nutrient line used by a member of this site and its CNS17 line of base nutes but then I just pulled back from that and only use Big Bloom now and it at 1/4 - 1/2 strength mixes with distilled water and also have been alternating Microbe Brew and Superthrive both at 1/4 strength and Big Bloom at 1/4 strength and I alternate it each week so one week they get the ST and MB and the next week they get BB and a 1/4 teas of Epsom Salts for that magnesium and sulfur kick. I am doing that because I am trying to experiment, which is why I use very small doses according to the recommended dosages. But I read that those are later consumed minerals for cannabis and so I figured theyre flowering so that later in life…? Get me? IDK if its the right thinking but that WAS my thinking.

Check this mutant out! Think I was prolly doing something wrong here!

Started having some root bound problems with this plant, number 2 ended up flushing it then forgetting to reinoculate the soil and was wondering why it never un-yellowed. cut all the yellow leaves off and transplanted it into a 5 gallon bucket and now 2 is the best looking of the bunch! What a resilient plant! I love it!

and now 2 in front in the orange Home Depot 5 gal bucket

Some more of the nutrient tug of war and the helicopter gardener I was but am now trying to practice the recently learned art of LITFA. I used cut 2 liter bottles for transition pots for the girls…

oh, and some washed out milk or distilled water jugs as transition pots then I just was not doing so good at transplanting so I figured why not just double pot it?

thats a good shot of the temperature and RH in the tent and I know the books say a higher RH, and the humidity has got better in the tent its actually back to these numbers which are better for flowering, or so I have read…

Some close-ups of 2 before her resurrection and the root bound nute burn funkiness of her foliage! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

but she is better and I have now had to flush number 1 and though I remembered to reinoculate her I am still worried about her yellowness. Is it just that she will have those yellow leaves till I cut or she loses them? They’ll never turn back to green?

I squeezed the stem till I felt or heard cracking, trying my best not to crack the outer stem but I believe that is supercropping? I read it helps “GNARLY-FY” the stem. I did it twice as you can see.

You can see the yellowed number 1 in the back right. All five seeds germed, BTW, and made it till now. None culled and so I look at that as a success but not just that I have 8 cuts that 3 have rooted and I have seen their roots with my eyeballs but the other 5 I have not seen any roots though 2 of the 5 should have roots I just dont want to dig to look!

And to get to where it is now and then a little LITFA and time if anybody wants to comment…Thanks for reading thus far…

On the LST I have just tried to pull open the plant and I HAVE topped or FIMed all five plants and I think with theearly nute problems they have bushed out nicely!

16 Likes

Damn fine post!

Everything is in order and looks very healthy !

Awesome setup and nice detail in the info

6 Likes

Looking good @randrobertson522 you’ll find out from time to time even though running the same strain in the same conditions that there may be a finicky plant that doesn’t care for the same feed schedules you give the rest of the plants that’s Nature! My approach is to have everything thing in the soil to begin with and let the plant along with the microbes in its symbiotic relationship dictate what is needed along the way top dress with EWC, teas, compost as it goes along its life cycle , glad to have ya on OG!

6 Likes

@randrobertson522 looks great keep it up

2 Likes

Some like to see how a plant starts its life and grows in veg being interested in the strain while others only want to see the flowering show…no need to explain yourself :wink:

Awesome show n tell! Your plants look real nice and happy…they will reward you well!

When a leaf goes ~30-40% yellow, they usually keep progressing until they fall off as the plants aren’t going to keep more than they can sustain. In older leaves, its ok as the plant is like, if your not contributing, you gotta go so will eat the nutes in it and redirect the flow to healthier and younger leaves to keep growing. Whether young or old, i’ll pull them when they reach ~50% yellowing as by then there is usually no turning back to green

Keep up the excellent work! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Welcome to the Circle of Trust! :smile: :recycle:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Thanks! I learned from you guys/girls and YOU specifically as I have followed ur posts with an interest!

3 Likes

Tell me about it! It’s cool to me, though, this diversity! Its DEFINITELY my favorite characteristic of humans though some variations are annoying they are beautifully different and THAT is what makes us ALL SPECIAL.

I also believe this to be the best method of gardening. Its like in “One Straw Revolution” right? I actually downloaded that from someones post along with the “Teaming with…” series of books and really have dug that philosophy!

Thank you much and I have read l lot of your stuff too, so thanks again!

2 Likes

Thanks and welcome! I have NO idea what I am doing but it’s fun to get down to a plant speed with things and by that I mean that you do things in small measure and wait to see results from those small measures and the results could take a BIT, WHICH IS really HARD for me as I feel like I was born devoid of patience!

2 Likes

Flattery is a stinky cologne…

…fortunately for you, I already smell like sex panther so nothing could make it better

60% of the time, it works everytime!

3 Likes

Thanks and that means a lot!

Does that involve in Flowering too? I have a real issue causing injuries to plants that I want to produce fat buds, but I know this plant is resilient and I am barely in week 2 with them so maybe itll help re direct resources to areas more needed?

You know, i have a daughter and so I thought keeping a plant alive would be easier than that but I am finding that when the organism is for all intents and purposes, stationary, its a little tricky getting it right especially on the first time. I think my fear of looking like an idiot to people helped me to better prepare but the real JOY that growing brings me is the self sustaining regiment it puts me in and then I apply the principles in life and its helped me on my path to becoming a better member of this world!

1 Like

YES! I am FINALLY on the receiving end of the wit of @cannabissequoia!

Beautifully executed as I was laughing harder at this scene then I did when I originally saw the movie!

Thanks for the invite!

2 Likes

RIGHT? I use it SO often that I get it can smell foul, like “Wha…” however it is really because I am a vain person who loves compliments, true ones, himself! I figure its like mail, you get what you give!

2 Likes

I’m the same lol I know how you feel. but the more read up you are on Deficiencies. Diseases and pests the better I’ve learned that the hard way

2 Likes

Yes though for your 1st couple of runs just leave them and watch how the plant self defoliates. Definitely remove them when they shrivel up to prevent mold issues :wink:

Each has their own learning curve…some are naturals at it while others have to intensely study :wink:

Many principals fall in line with different endeavors :stuck_out_tongue: Sounds like you have achieved your personal balance…such a great feeling!

3 Likes

Well, that is funny because you had to learn through experience and I learned somewhat through reading but I would trade for your experience! Silly ways of learning things! :fearful: Thanks for checking out my post!

2 Likes

Thanks for thinking I have balance and MAN! I would love to give that impression of myself to others but I really am finding that its ALL applicable to each other just in principle and we gotta see the pattern to GET it…thanks for your words!

2 Likes

Ok, so enough of the catch up, I have some time this morning so I will start with an update of the FLOWERING FIVE who are all at day 11 in Flower…

All five of them are showing those pretty white hairs and no pod looking stuff so, so far so good on the possible hermie’s since these were feminized Black Widow seeds. But looks good, to my untrained eye, to me and so I am gonna keep the same schedule going for these ones and that is again, 1/4 strength Big Bloom or a tablespoon per plant per 1000ml of water. I use a graduated cylinder to measure which is why I am saying per 1000mls.

Ok, now I have 8 cuts from 2 of these five flowering. 5 from the yellowy number 1 and 3 from the short and squat number 4. The reason I did this was cuz this IS my first to flower, like the name on the post says, and I had already flipped all five when I thought I should get the cuts before they flower and 4 was the only one not showing the white hairs and she is a vigorous plant if a little short, which I actually prefer, TBH.

So here are the 8 cuts…

On the ABOVE photo, the top three are the rooted cuts and the bottom 2 SHOULD have roots by now but I havent seen them and they dont look like they are rooted.

So all the above five cuts were from the number one mom and the 3 below this are the newest and the only 3 from number 4

So thats all of it up to date as of 1140 PST in the US on the 28th of January

5 Likes

Ok, so just a quick update because there hasn’t been too much change but I wanted to make sure I got current pix of the cuttings and how they are doing because in this area I feel VERY inadequate, as far as knowledge. So ANY input in MUCH appreciated…

First, the FLOWERING FIVE in all their glory!

another of the FIVE…

as you can see in the back right is number 1 and her yellowness which I am just gonna watch her go and not do anything extra to her that I am not also doing to all the other four. I got some advice that I am gonna adhere to and also just to see how the plant reacts to different things like having a mass of yellowed leaves on the top of her. The others are looking pretty good to me, despite the burnt and twisted tips on the new growth. I have stopped giving any of them anything as far as nutrients go and if I do its at 1/4 strength. Until I no longer see the burnt tips I will continue to monitor this.

Here is some close-ups of the FLOWERING FIVE

Ok, so some shots now of the cuttings. I culled one of them so I have 7 left, 4 from number 1, the yelowing mother plant, though she wasn’t yellow when I took the cuts. and 3, the 3 in the mini humidity dome and the 3 newest are from the shorter and Indica leaning (I think) mother number 4

On the top picture above the 2 on the tip left are the most vigorous, obviously, but they seem to be less happy then I would like them to be. I will wait till they are bigger and then I have some bigger pots ready for them…

I also wanted to tell any of you from the US midwestern states and the Canadian provinces above who are experiencing this “Polar Vortex” that me and my family’s thoughts are with you and hopefully it gets warmer for you guys and girls soon!

5 Likes

Ok folks, here is the Thursday update and I wish I had a better camera or I need to start reading the macro-photography posts on here cuz I’m at a loss…

Pictures of flowers, SWEET FLOWERS! Sorry, but I like flowers!

Like I said, I wish they were better shots but there ARE the frosty beginnings on all those floral sites and it made me SO happy to see!

and of the cuts…

the two above are the more vigorous of the rooted cuts. the two below in the picture above and then the picture below is a better shot of the two laggers in the rooted cut game!

and the little ones…

So thats it as of today and I appreciate all who have followed along and I wish us ALL a VERY NICE WEEKEND!

rand^^

6 Likes